Food poverty-the way out

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: Food poverty-the way out

Post by thirdcrank »

I've posted this image before, but I saw the inscription yesterday when I took my granddaughter to dancing lessons.

The inscribed stone is embedded in the wall of what was once Gildersome Church School just by the entrance and that building is now incorporated in Gildersome Church Centre
phpIO69i8PM.jpg
Fear God. Honour the King.
If ye be willing and obedient ye shall eat
of the good of the land.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

One thing's for sure,the Tories have been in power now for 12 years,and thanks to their appalling mismanagement of the country the gulf between rich and poor has grown drastically,foodbanks have grown exponentially,the NHS is in a worse state and the country is in a worse state generally now than when they came to power.

Why anyone votes for them is a mystery,to me at least :?

Of course there'll be them that'll claim it's all Labour's fault for not providing a credible opposition,those people are wrong.
The current dire state of the country is entirely the fault of the Tory party and their raison d'etre which is to look after those that fund their despicable party,who are the rich and who in that time the Tories have run(sic) the country(into the ground) have profited from this utter mess the most.
Worst of all those who have suffered most are the same people who've put these leeches in a position of power,will they never learn?
Last edited by reohn2 on 20 May 2022, 5:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

PedallingSquares wrote: 20 May 2022, 11:27am
Pebble wrote: 20 May 2022, 10:22am No better food than Porridge if you are doing big milages on the bike - all to do with the slow way it releases its energy. Appart from a couple of oranges that kept me going for 60 mile yesterday.
I beg to differ.
I couldn't ride 5 miles on porridge.If I eat porridge I'm hungry less than an hour later.I really don't get the slow release rubbish it simply doesn't work for me!I'd ride further on packet crisps than I would on a bowl of porridge!
Interesting and shows how food varies from one person to another - Porridge is an absolute must for me for breakfast, without it I do start craving food much earlier in the day (my next meal is normally after 8pm)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2 wrote: 20 May 2022, 5:08pm One thing's for sure,the Tories have been in power now for 12 years,and thanks to their appalling mismanagement of the country the gulf between rich and poor has grown drastically,foodbanks have grown exponentially,the NHS is in a worse state and the country is in a worse state generally now than when they came to power.
Life expectancy was actually falling in deprived areas before the outbreak. This is unprecedented. Fortunately the Prime Minister thinks that it's "an outrage"...

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 20 May 2022, 5:19pm
reohn2 wrote: 20 May 2022, 5:08pm One thing's for sure,the Tories have been in power now for 12 years,and thanks to their appalling mismanagement of the country the gulf between rich and poor has grown drastically,foodbanks have grown exponentially,the NHS is in a worse state and the country is in a worse state generally now than when they came to power.
Life expectancy was actually falling in deprived areas before the outbreak. This is unprecedented. Fortunately the Prime Minister thinks that it's "an outrage"...

Jonathan
It's him his government and his party that's "an outrage"!
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Jdsk wrote: 19 May 2022, 2:31pm
Cugel wrote: 19 May 2022, 2:19pmOr haven't you noticed yet? We British Boomers have lived through an extraordinarily pleasant place and time in human history. But don't take it as some sort of trend for the future! Just lately, that history is turning back to the normal human behaviours found throughout the centuries - internecine conflict, destruction and mass murder.
As far as we can tell the *long-term historical trend is one of lower death from violence, better nutrition, better health and longer life expectancy.

But I'm not saying that these happen in any sense automatically. And especially not in the short term. It's up to us.

Jonathan

* The exception being the transition from nomadic hunter-gathering to settled agriculture. That doesn't look so good for health, or at least not for those who reached adulthood.
Now then, have you been reading that Steven Pinker and his rather suspect stats concerning the better angels of our nature? An old school fellow of mine, John Gray, has another view.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/ ... -declining

You suggest that progressive trends of the kind you list are "up to us". Who is this singular grouping "us"? Shurely shome mishtake as there are thousands of groups, many with notions and behaviours that are conflicting, not to mention very non-progressive. In fact, the anti-progress mobs of various ilks and tittles seem currently to be in the ascendency.

Perhaps I have become too cynical and pessimistic but it seems that the various human tribes and polities are currently on the cusp of a hysteresis curve that may see us all tumble into another world war, which will be like those of the first half of the C20th but a lot, lot worse. It's been building for a while, with Ukraine just the latest in a series of prologues.

On the other hand, the various machinations of various powerful human groups may first stimulate a vast and worldwide economic collapse into a punishing "crash" 100X worse than that of the 1920s & 30s; or the ever-nearing climate catastrophe with all the human survival contests that it will bring may arrive sooner rather than later; or the next pandemic with something far worse than Covid in play.....

Being more optimistic would certainly be a balm to such fears and may even be justified, if various voices of sanity are heeded. But the shouts of the various demagogues and mobs seem so much louder, eh? The only progress I can see is the progress in making ever-more lethal technologies and the progress from civilisation to a Hobbesian war of all-against-all, even if the "alls" are organised into various nation states, ideological groups or self-defined ethnicities, races and other made-up "identities".

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Have just been listening to one of my favourite commentators, ie Brain Eno - hahaha spot the typo. In which he and fellow guest yak yak yak on about this and that, in his usual erudite and entertaining manner - brilliant - what fun!
But actually there's only really one take-away. Is the level of ghg going up - or down? Simples.
If up, extinction guaranteed. If down (which it isn't), then we still have a ton of other work to do.
It doesn't matter how smarty-pants or doubtful or right-or-left-wing or young-or-old you are, that's the single most important metric. Full Stop.
Byyyeeeeeee...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote: 20 May 2022, 4:49pm I've posted this image before, but I saw the inscription yesterday when I took my granddaughter to dancing lessons.

The inscribed stone is embedded in the wall of what was once Gildersome Church School just by the entrance and that building is now incorporated in Gildersome Church Centre

phpIO69i8PM.jpg
Fear God. Honour the King.
If ye be willing and obedient ye shall eat
of the good of the land.
Ah so we've just got to wait until Charlie boy is on the throne.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Brian Eno you mean... Well known producer these days.

Did a menu for a week for two, 3 decent meals a day with plenty of inexpensive healthy stuff, came up with a total spend of £50.

But, looking at our supermarket bill food isnt the only thing. Tea and Coffee, toiletries, kitchen sundries and in our house some dog food.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

came up with a total spend of £50.
Interesting. I've been keeping a food diary for some months, but have omitted to include details of cost - something of an oversight, given recent developments!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote: 20 May 2022, 8:21pm .....But, looking at our supermarket bill food isnt the only thing. Tea and Coffee, toiletries, kitchen sundries and in our house some dog food.

Al
Exactly!
The cost of living isn't just food(as I was pointing out up thread),are the poor only to drink water,use dockleaves for toilet paper.
And,heaven forbid,they want a pet too?
W H Auden
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

simonineaston wrote: 20 May 2022, 7:41pm Have just been listening to one of my favourite commentators, ie Brain Eno - hahaha spot the typo. In which he and fellow guest yak yak yak on about this and that, in his usual erudite and entertaining manner - brilliant - what fun!
But actually there's only really one take-away. Is the level of ghg going up - or down? Simples.
If up, extinction guaranteed. If down (which it isn't), then we still have a ton of other work to do.
It doesn't matter how smarty-pants or doubtful or right-or-left-wing or young-or-old you are, that's the single most important metric. Full Stop.
Byyyeeeeeee...
Ah, ghg, Green House Gas.

There’s immediacy and there’s immediacy, there’s what’s happening to me now and there’s what’s supposed to be happening to me in the future, there’s tangible (like receiving an electric shock) and there’s intangible (like knowing electricity is dangerous). Most of us are very fortunate in that we can envisage a time when our children and grandchildren will be badly effected by climate change, but for many other people their immediate struggle is getting by this week and the future is a place that they can only hope to reach.

As for most of us fortunate people the negative results of ghg await us down the road. However war, famine, collapsed economies and pestilence are all just over the horizon too … and should Putin press his red button then we’ll have immediacy well beyond today’s rightful climate concerns. The single most important metric is ghg? Well, believe that if you wish but I’d call that unhelpfully simplistic.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote: 20 May 2022, 11:09pm
al_yrpal wrote: 20 May 2022, 8:21pm .....But, looking at our supermarket bill food isnt the only thing. Tea and Coffee, toiletries, kitchen sundries and in our house some dog food.

Al
Exactly!
The cost of living isn't just food(as I was pointing out up thread),are the poor only to drink water,use dockleaves for toilet paper.
To quote Samuel Johnson again "Life is a pill which none of us can bear to swallow without gilding; yet for the poor we delight in stripping it still barer, and are not ashamed to shew even visible displeasure, if ever the bitter taste is taken from their mouths."
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote: 21 May 2022, 12:06pm
reohn2 wrote: 20 May 2022, 11:09pm

Al
Exactly!
To quote Samuel Johnson again "Life is a pill which none of us can bear to swallow without gilding; yet for the poor we delight in stripping it still barer, and are not ashamed to shew even visible displeasure, if ever the bitter taste is taken from their mouths."
+1 I nearly replied with a +1 to the full quote in your previous post.

Fingers point to the poor so often as the rich laugh all the way to the bank in the full knowledge their plans to become even more rich are working!

The poor fools are those who continue to fall for the rhetoric and lies by voting for more of the same!
W H Auden
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Carlton green wrote: 21 May 2022, 7:38amAh, ghg, Green House Gas.

There’s immediacy and there’s immediacy, there’s what’s happening to me now and there’s what’s supposed to be happening to me in the future, there’s tangible (like receiving an electric shock) and there’s intangible (like knowing electricity is dangerous). Most of us are very fortunate in that we can envisage a time when our children and grandchildren will be badly effected by climate change, but for many other people their immediate struggle is getting by this week and the future is a place that they can only hope to reach.

As for most of us fortunate people the negative results of ghg await us down the road. However war, famine, collapsed economies and pestilence are all just over the horizon too … and should Putin press his red button then we’ll have immediacy well beyond today’s rightful climate concerns. The single most important metric is ghg? Well, believe that if you wish but I’d call that unhelpfully simplistic.
This is why I'm convinced climate change never will be fixed.

People will carry on consuming too much until civilisation collapses, and every step of the way down that slope it will always be tomorrow's problem. People who've just lost everything in a storm/wildfire/tsunami will be looking for food and shelter, not worrying about turning up for work at a solar panel factory or putting up windfarms.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche