Food poverty-the way out

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Re: Food poverty-the way out

Post by simonineaston »

Regarding the question of who exactly uses food banks, I didn't realise until I started working for Fare Share, here in Bristol a few weeks ago, but there are a range of layers, as it were, in the sector. For example, individuals are usually referred to "high street" food banks, by say The Citizens Advice Bureau. On the other hand, Fare Share have subscribing customers, usually before / after school clubs, based at local primary schools, or local community supper clubs etc. They pay Fare Share for regular deliveries of products they choose from a list.
During a typical half day session, I will prepare 4 or 5 pick lists of food products, rather like I might do if I 'go round Tesco' but on a much larger scale. Each pick goes onto a stack of baskets - we aim at 10kg per basket and a typical order might consist of 14 or more baskets. The baskets are loaded into our vans, which are chilled and then driven out to the subscribing projects, either that day or the next morning.
So by the end of the half day shift, I'll have prepared around 700kg of food products - or to put it another way, prevented that 700kg being thrown away. Bit of a shock for someone who just spent the last 20 years hiding behind a desk!
btw the food itself is an interesting variety. Some tins but not as many as you'd maybe think - loads of fresh veg., meat products, cereals & bread products, juices, dairy yoghurts, etc, etc. For some reason mangoes were everywhere last week... it all depends on what the suppliers - mainly supermarkets - have got left over.
If anyone wants to read about one particular and quite well known food bank user's experience, Jack Monroe's blog goes into some detail. Her response to the Nottingham MP is lengthy, revealing and rather uncomfortable to read... see here
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

In today's news we see one more example of the immense difficulties facing any initiative to promote healthy eating. At every turn, successive governments say one thing and do another. Although the article does not specifically say so, there is one likely reason for the current government dropping this promised plan and that will be industry lobbying.
Delay to junk food ads ban could ‘blow a hole’ in UK obesity strategy
see article here
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Apparently, it isnt legislation thats being dropped its just a 12 month delay...

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/supermarket ... 97.article

Well done for doing something that no one else did!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Looks like Jack Monroe and Lee Anderson aren't exactly on the same page re this topic... see here
S
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 14 May 2022, 12:08pm In today's news we see one more example of the immense difficulties facing any initiative to promote healthy eating. At every turn, successive governments say one thing and do another. Although the article does not specifically say so, there is one likely reason for the current government dropping this promised plan and that will be industry lobbying.
Delay to junk food ads ban could ‘blow a hole’ in UK obesity strategy
see article here
This is very disappointing. Nearly all of the interventions that would help take a long time to work. Policies need to be consistent on a timescale way beyond annual budgets or short-term economic problems or the life of a government.

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Meanwhile in the HofC
I'm not opposed to the notion of a subsidised canteen, but it does seem a bit rich when the workers ie the MPs, are all paid well clear of double the typical UK full time annual wage!
S
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

simonineaston wrote: 15 May 2022, 11:22am
Meanwhile in the HofC
I'm not opposed to the notion of a subsidised canteen, but it does seem a bit rich when the workers ie the MPs, are all paid well clear of double the typical UK full time annual wage!
And how many other work places have subsidised bars scattered around?
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

HofC?
Hotel of California?

You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Meanwhile in the HofC
You've neglected to mention their "expenses" and that they can still employ family members.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Linked to poverty,Martin Lewis on LBC earlier today:- https://youtu.be/44wwvH46-Og
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

And there's more,as a well known comedian used to say :- https://youtu.be/_oDxbbARleQ
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Carlton green wrote: 6 May 2022, 7:59pm
Jdsk wrote: 6 May 2022, 6:06pm
Carlton green wrote: 3 May 2022, 3:25pm My experience of supply chains is that the middleman wants to takes as large a cut (amount of profit) as s/he can, that’s business. The farmers that I’ve talked to very much feel that the supermarkets and food processing companies dictate to them what price will be offered to them and that they have no input into the shelf price.
See the recent letter from the National Pig Association to Tesco:
http://www.npa-uk.org.uk/hres/NPA%20Ope ... er%20Tesco
I wish the National Pig Association well but hopes of success with Tesco and the other big Supermarket chains are unlikely to be realised. Such companies do not value their long term supply chain and regard the market as a competitive place in which the only object is to beat your fellow retailer by some margin. If there’s no Pork then let them eat Lentils and we, rather than our competitors, will sell them to whatever customers that there are.
"Tesco is to hand pig farmers £6.6m in additional support, taking the total to £10m, after warnings that a slew of producers could go out of business."
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -situation

Jonathan
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

ANTONISH wrote: 16 May 2022, 9:57am
Meanwhile in the HofC
You've neglected to mention their "expenses" and that they can still employ family members.
Employ in the broadest sense of the word.More like pay to do very little :wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PedallingSquares wrote: 17 May 2022, 9:36am
ANTONISH wrote: 16 May 2022, 9:57am
simonineaston wrote: 15 May 2022, 11:22am I'm not opposed to the notion of a subsidised canteen, but it does seem a bit rich when the workers ie the MPs, are all paid well clear of double the typical UK full time annual wage!
Employ in the broadest sense of the word.More like pay to do very little :wink:
The words gravy and train,spring readily to mind!
W H Auden