Food poverty-the way out

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Food poverty-the way out

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote: 27 May 2022, 10:19am Apparently second homes get the £400 too! Time to sort that out.
Yes. AIUI the Chancellor is claiming this morning that this wasn't deliberate but that they couldn't work out how to avoid it in practice with the current systems...

Jonathan
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

If second home users get it on their second home then that's just daft.

I've read and agreed with the comments on better insulation but a solution to massive bills is needed now, not some time in the future.

This money should be the first step and a proper scheme to insulate homes should be devised.

It was pointed out to me that in rented property there is no incentive to insulate the home as the landlord doesn't gain from lower energy bills.
What about the government paying for all homes to be insulated regardless of their occupant.

It would cost £ billions but cutting energy use would lessen the need to build more and more generating capacity so make a cost saving.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

better insulation but a solution to massive bills is needed now,
Well, let's think - which is more awkward - high bills and financial difficulty - or no planet to live on? Crikey that's a toughy - give me a while to think that one through, will you...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Hunger and cold is more than awkward to many of the poorest.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

francovendee wrote: 27 May 2022, 11:55am Hunger and cold is more than awkward to many of the poorest.
It is also immediate, and when your child or anyone else you care for is cold and or hungry now thoughts of the future are a luxury that others enjoy. Sometimes pain in the immediacy of this instant in time has to be experienced to be understood.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

francovendee wrote: 27 May 2022, 10:35amWhat about the government paying for all homes to be insulated regardless of their occupant.
I could easily afford cavity insulation, but the reason I've never done it is that CIGA have a well-earned reputation for not honouring the guarantee. Energy savings pale at the side of the potential cost of any remedial work, so it just isn't worth the risk.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

simonineaston wrote: 27 May 2022, 10:42am
better insulation but a solution to massive bills is needed now,
Well, let's think - which is more awkward - high bills and financial difficulty - or no planet to live on? Crikey that's a toughy - give me a while to think that one through, will you...
The relevant difference with climate change is rate of change, not magnitude, the slower rate of change makes it easier to procrastinate with climate change, even if the ultimate consequences are greater. As I said above, I don't think climate change will ever get fixed, because it will always be tomorrow's problem, and not today's. Credit crunch, Brexit, Covid, Ukraine, Food prices, there's always something....
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
pete75

Post by pete75 »

simonineaston wrote: 27 May 2022, 9:32am It's deeply deeply depressing that whereas the fuel crisis should have been an ideal opportunity to put in place a policy of building insulation across the country, as a double fix (to both the short term and the long term crisis), it hasn't even been mentioned...and people wonder why I am pessimistic about whether or not we'll survive.
Using your and Simon's logic the entire British car industry is "syphoning" money out the country, it's all owned by those despicable "foreigners".
well now you mention it, it's best to recall that the vehicle industry makes profits, not from the vehicles, but from the finance deals that buy them... As DT said in All The President's Men, follow the money...
Really? Have you any evidence for that statement? It's generally dealers who make profit from finance deals and, of course, the financial services businesses behind the loans, not the motor industry. I'm guessing you'll approve of that though because most of the finance houses will be British.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

axel_knutt wrote: 27 May 2022, 1:01pm
francovendee wrote: 27 May 2022, 10:35amWhat about the government paying for all homes to be insulated regardless of their occupant.
I could easily afford cavity insulation, but the reason I've never done it is that CIGA have a well-earned reputation for not honouring the guarantee. Energy savings pale at the side of the potential cost of any remedial work, so it just isn't worth the risk.
When I had cavity wall insulation it took the form of a sort of very light non combustible cotton fibre, harmless I believed. I would draw the line at isocynurate foam though. Wrongly installed that could burst the wall and it burns producing cyanide gas.

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 27 May 2022, 4:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Are dealers not part of the car industry?

Dealers seem to make quite a bit of money on servicing too. Car manufacturers doubtless charge quite a bit for the privilege (franchise) of selling their cars.

Some years ago I bought a near new car from a franchised dealer, I didn’t take take a loan but was very much pushed towards doing so.

It’s a funny old world, a drug dealer who gets you hooked on drugs might end up in jail but someone who gets you hooked on debt won’t.

Thread drift? I’ve no idea what cars have to do with food poverty; well other than without running a car you’ll likely struggle to get to work and without work there’s a problem with income.
Last edited by Carlton green on 27 May 2022, 5:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

You do pick up a surprising amount of commision for getting a customer to sign up to a leasing deal. Better for most people to get a very low interest loan these days. They both show up as loans anyway on your credit report.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote: 27 May 2022, 7:40am
It was also allowed under the Tories.
I suffer no illusions as who sold off the country's assets
See my post above. It's privatisation that's the problem not ownership
I know the problem,I was agreeing with Simonineaston and mentioning that New Labour were as bad as the Tories in that regard,how many times do I need to explain that fact to you? .
Do you think the companies would behave any differently if owned by a UK private equity business? The point is once a business is traded on the stock market it's exposed to takeover bids.
But New Labour did nothing about it,that's my point!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Pebble wrote: 27 May 2022, 9:59am
reohn2 wrote: 25 May 2022, 12:18pm
pete75 wrote: 25 May 2022, 11:13am

It's not Russia's invasion of the Ukraine that has caused higher energy prices, it's countries choosing not to buy oil and gas from Russia.
No,it's the energy companies choosing to make a fast buck by raising their prices by 50%+ whilst doubling their profits in the six month the war in the Ukraine has been waged that despot Putin,hellbent on total destruction of a neighbouring sovereign nation!
Nowt like a war for making money now is there?
Or is it the strange global cartel/monopoly with oil and gas prices? Production of oil and gas has not become more expensive so why has Norway (along with other produces) decided they need to charge the new higher prices? Simple, its greed they are going to go to the highest bidder. Bung all the cash in the bank and blame it all on some global price setting structure they have no control over.

Heck. even the price of firewood is rocketing, apparently its related to oil prices! (absolutely no shortage of the stuff since arwin) but its up 50% or more. Any excuse to make more money.
I think we're in agreement on that,though I know nothing about the price of firewood as I don't use it:?
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote: 27 May 2022, 9:32am
reohn2 wrote: 27 May 2022, 8:29am
pete75 wrote: 27 May 2022, 7:40am
It was also allowed under the Tories. See my post above. It's privatisation that's the problem not ownership. Do you think the companies would behave any differently if owned by a UK private equity business? The point is once a business is traded on the stock market it's exposed to takeover bids.
It was encouraged under a (New) Labour government.
As Simon also posted money was allowed to be syphoned off out of the country,which could have been stopped under a (New) Labour government but wasn't!
I found out PDQ after 1997 what (New) Labour meant,they were Tories in red ties and sharp suits!
That was my point.
Encouraged? In what way?

How can a government stop shares being bought and sold on the stock exchange?
By first selling off national assets(Tories) and allowing it to continue(New Labour)
Using your and Simon's logic the entire British car industry is "syphoning" money out the country, it's all owned by those despicable "foreigners".
I'm using the logic of the "free market",where anyone can buy and sell anything,P&O sacking it's workers and employing cheap as chips foreign workers with no checks and balances?
Rich Arab and Chinese nationals buying whole apartment blocks in London leaving them empty until property prices rise whilst Londoners struggle to find somewhere to live,some forced to live in garages.
Energy shares being bought by anyone across the world that can afford to speculate and who are currently making a packet out of them.
Utilities such as water,gas and electricity should never ever have been privatised or allowed to continue under a so called Labour government.
Don't you agree?
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote: 27 May 2022, 10:19am Apparently second homes get the £400 too! Time to sort that out..

Al
I couldn't agree more,especially in areas were locals can't afford to live!
W H Auden