Food poverty-the way out

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mumbojumbo

Food poverty-the way out

Post by mumbojumbo »

I have been experimenting with a new diet to cope with higher food prices. My butcher sells me split pig-heads for brawn ,and I found a hand-mincer in a charity shop so now make own mince supplemented with macerated strips of leather, and sausages using cheap bread found in Mo55isons for 5p a loaf. Any other ideas.
simonineaston

Re: Food poverty-the way out

Post by simonineaston »

Any other ideas.
If you've got any spare time, you could always do a couple of shifts down your local food bank or associated organisation. If it's anything like the one I work at (see here), there's a bonus in the form of the shelves where there's the really short-dated stuff no-one else wants! Recently I've taken home carrots, a mango, plums, a loaf of bread, a packet of sliced ham, a battered tin of mushy peas and wonky can of Dr Pepper... better than Ready, Steady - Cook! :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Yes, I do the evening walk past Morrisons, to get that weeks bakers bread @ £0.14 a loaf. And occasional fresh Rainbow Trout at £0.40 a fish, rather than £2+, or fresh mussels at £0.40 rather than £3-4.

But most effective approach was actually in calculating the cost of full amino acid proteins per gram, in respect to various protein sources last year. Hadn't realized that some protein sources I.e. No fat/low Sugar Greek Yoghurts can provide a full range of complex amino acid proteins, at a fraction of the cost of those from meat/fish etc. Added benefit of no time or cost in preparation
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I seem to startle the staff when I ask to be directed to the extra high-fat content foods... I got lucky the other week and found 10% fat yoghurt! Where's there's fat, there's flavour ! Oh Yes :-)
The irony is that the industrialised food industry removes fat from products to sell to the diet faddists and then uses the fat they remove as an ingredient in the rest of their processed food products - good grief, it's as if they see us coming !!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Cream, once a luxury, is cheap due to skimmed milk, and that means butter is also very affordable .My mum used it Sundays ,otherwise it was Echo or Stork,or dripping.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

There was a past long winding post.On something very good.(The thread and the food)
Porridge.I do not want to elaborate on someone else's thread which had a good number of posts - search for porridge.
I would mention it takes time to clean the pan and make.I simply get a bowl and pour boiling hot water.I saw this tip on a food forum.Works.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lebl ... n-scotland...

ps if not Food for Gods certainly endorsed by non other than that gentleman and cycling master Chris Hoy. Note the endorsement for (snail) porridge.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

briansnail wrote: 2 May 2022, 8:13am https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lebl ... n-scotland...

ps if not Food for Gods certainly endorsed by non other than that gentleman and cycling master Chris Hoy. Note the endorsement for (snail) porridge.
"Sorry, we can't find the page you are looking for (error 404)"

Jonathan
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

When I have been at my poorest, I bought bulk dried beans & rice, and supplemented them with whatever else I could afford, and foraging. I saved cooking time & money by soaking the beans for a day before cooking them.

At the time, I lived in a place where I did not have the possibility to garden, but I did grow some herbs in pots.

This was some time ago, but I was able to feed myself then for the equivalent of a few £ per week. I got pretty tired of beans & rice, bean soup, and variants!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’d be buying dried peas and make some Pease Pudding should go really well with the OP’s Brawn.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I don't think it's very realistic to pick the cheapest meal you can find then eat little else, quite apart from the boredom you need a balanced diet. My diet meets the published nutrition recommendations for £3.27/2704kcals a day (£1.20/1000kcal), and whilst I doubt that's competitive with the sort of budget someone like Jack Monroe was used to, it was 5th cheapest out of the 76 posting their food spend on Gransnet a few years ago.

Generally speaking, the extravagant foodstuffs are fairly obvious, and I just avoid them. Buy the budget products, not the premium ones. Short dated food at a discount is ok, but I avoid it because it can be difficult to use it all in time if you live alone, and because premium products at a discount can frequently be more expensive than budget food at full price.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Vorpal wrote: 2 May 2022, 10:03am I got pretty tired of beans & rice, bean soup, and variants!
+ 1. Though haven't bulk eaten bean, chickpea & lentil dishes since 2009-2012.

Though I was told that I ate a really poor diet by a morbidly obese sibling. The fact that I ate LENTILS was given as evidence of a really bad diet :shock: (Nb. As an individual with near perfect BMI, athletic levels of fitness, I doubt that lentils are that bad :? )
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The supermarket basics range of dried (pasta, rice etc) and tinned goods are often incredibly cheap and can form the basis of an inexpensive diet.

For inexpensive veg whats in season is the way to go.

Meat is tricky. Unpopular cuts are cheapest. Liver is terrific value. Chicken wings and drumsticks are cheap as chips and provide tasty meat. Pork seems to be the best value. Buying small gammon joints beats ham in packets.

For a treat Icelands £1 pizzas are terrific and they have literally dozens of other £1 or less items - 6 ice cream cornets £1 etc. 1.5kg frozen oven chips £1.

Lentils are a good supplement to bulk out mince dishes.

Make your own soups using onion and celery as a base.

There are some really nice inexpensive cheddars around.

It all means a bit of effort....My 5p worth

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pete75

Post by pete75 »

What a bunch of tight wads. Food is still relatively cheap and farmers still aren't getting the prices they deserve for a lot of what they produce.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

pete75 wrote: 2 May 2022, 4:00pm What a bunch of tight wads. Food is still relatively cheap and farmers still aren't getting the prices they deserve for a lot of what they produce.
Thanks for the compliment :lol: Being frugal isnt trying to do down farmers I am sure everyone appreciates the challenges they face. Presently they can grow more oilseed rape, wheat and chicken feed to plug the gaps caused by our Russian 'friends' and get decent prices.

Al :wink:
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......