Food poverty-the way out

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Carlton green

Re: Food poverty-the way out

Post by Carlton green »

Thank you a very interesting chart. There are certainly a lot of people (71%) who believe that the Grundian is a left leaning paper.
From a YouGov Poll on how people regard Britain's newspapers. The mind boggles thinking about the politics of people who regatd the Daily Mail as very left wing.
Quite, I’m also shocked that some people (5%) view the Grundian as a very right wing paper.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Carlton green wrote: 24 May 2022, 8:04pm Grundian
The Guardian's proof reading is not particularly bad these days.
I am reminded of "Sheep" Jones who could not live down his village nickname.
"One slip thirty years ago and they never let you forget it."
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Grundian, deliberate error on my part and a name in common use.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Carlton green wrote: 24 May 2022, 8:12pm Grundian, deliberate error on my part and a name in common use.
That is what I thought.
It is a very well worn joke.
Isn't "Grauniad" more usual?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Everyone knows that Guernsey, Alderney and Jersey as well as the Isle of Man are tax havens, all palling into insignificance compared with Luxembourg which services Germany and the EU. And of course all those places in the Carribean too. We dont need a newspaper to tell us what has been common knowledge for many years. If these places get closed down the operators will simply move elsewhere.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

al_yrpal wrote: 24 May 2022, 8:27pm Everyone knows that Guernsey, Alderney and Jersey as well as the Isle of Man are tax havens, all palling into insignificance compared with Luxembourg which services Germany and the EU. And of course all those places in the Carribean too. We dont need a newspaper to tell us what has been common knowledge for many years. If these places get closed down the operators will simply move elsewhere.

Al
Might as well turn a blind eye?
Drugs and arms dealers often use the same argument.
Many of those Caribbean islands are British dependencies too.
British tax havens are responsible for 29 percent of the $245bn in tax the world loses to corporations, according to Tax Justice Network, which ranks BVI, the Cayman Islands and Bermuda as the top three enablers of corporate tax abuse on the planet.
IEveryone knows? t is clear you could do with more information on tax havens.
Last edited by Mike Sales on 24 May 2022, 8:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

pete75 wrote: 24 May 2022, 7:37pm From a YouGov Poll on how people regard Britain's newspapers. The mind boggles thinking about the politics of people who regatd the Daily Mail as very left wing.

More interesting is that around 40 to 50% of respondents didn't know or have an opinion on where those papers stand. I don't read the Independent nowadays (paywalled and no paper version) but felt that it was going more down the 'clickbait' type of article before it went fully online and paywalled.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I think it was Private Eye that started the trend to refer to the Guardian as the Grauniad, or the Graun. for short as a running joke about their supposed tendancy to sloppy proof-reading. These typos became a thing of the past when computerised text setting became the norm and organisations were able to spell-check against their own style guide, but ironically since the advent of fast response copy arriving from portable devices, we're seeing a return to error-prone text. I blame touch screens.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Carlton green wrote: 24 May 2022, 8:04pm Thank you a very interesting chart. There are certainly a lot of people (71%) who believe that the Grundian is a left leaning paper.
From a YouGov Poll on how people regard Britain's newspapers. The mind boggles thinking about the politics of people who regatd the Daily Mail as very left wing.
Quite, I’m also shocked that some people (5%) view the Grundian as a very right wing paper.
And 70% who regard the Times as a right wing paper. Out of the 8 papers listed a majority folk seem to regard 6 of them as being right wing. Strange then that the right claim media is biased against them. I suspect by that they really mean it isn't all biased in their favour.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I believe The Times columnists and pundits are right wing, but, the news and editing of the news seems unbiased. Something that cant be said about the Guardian. I never read columnists or pundits in any paper preferring to come to my own view.

And, I am well aware that many Carribean tax havens have strong connections with us. However Luxembourg the EUs principal tax haven probably dwarfs them

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 24 May 2022, 9:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Confirmation that a lot of people don't know their right hand from their left .................
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

thirdcrank wrote: 24 May 2022, 9:54pm Confirmation that a lot of people don't know their right hand from their left .................
The same underlying confusion concerning various orientations may underlie commonly-found behaviour demonstrating that some folk don't know their gluteus maximus from their arm hinge, which can often cause them to fall, mentally-speaking, rump over udder!

Myself, I simply ask the ladywife for the sensible option or view, as she has a long history of unerringly detecting nonsense, cant, rationalisations-after-the-fact and sheer bullypap. After all, she lives with me. :-)

Of course, many post stuff that is obviously goosewipe & poodlejuice. They accumulate it from newspaps and feel a need to throw it about in public. I think their owners & keepers should be fined for causing a public nuisance!

Cugel, never a nuisance myself. Oh no I'm not!
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

There’s a BBC article that I’d just like to draw people’s attention to. Put value over profits, from NATO chief:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61568999

The Polish PM is also spot on here where he identifies the weaponisation of food, again a BBC report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61562864

I’ve posted up thread about the importance of independence.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

al_yrpal wrote: 24 May 2022, 8:27pm Everyone knows that Guernsey, Alderney and Jersey as well as the Isle of Man are tax havens, all palling into insignificance compared with Luxembourg which services Germany and the EU. And of course all those places in the Carribean too. We dont need a newspaper to tell us what has been common knowledge for many years. If these places get closed down the operators will simply move elsewhere.

Al
If the revelations of the Pandora and Panama papers were merely about the existence of tax havens, then, as you say, it would not be news.
But they are not. They reveal facts about how the unsavoury individuals who use these havens hide and launder their wealth, acquired by various nasty means.
Perhaps more than anything else, the Pandora Papers – the tranche of documents published last night, which reveal the secret wealth of the world’s rich and powerful – tell a story about Britain.

There’s the role, for instance, played by the British Virgin Islands, an overseas territory of the UK that functions as a tax haven. Czechia’s multimillionaire prime minister used the territory to hide his ownership of a chateau in France. Others, including the family of Kenyan president Uhuru Kenyatta and Vladimir Putin’s PR man, have made similar use of the islands to conceal wealth – while Tony and Cherie Blair reportedly saved £312,000 in stamp duty when they bought a London property from a company registered in the British Virgin Islands in 2017.

Then there’s London itself. The leaked documents show how the King of Jordan squirrelled personal cash away in the capital’s property market, as did key allies of Imran Khan, Pakistan’s president.

More details will emerge in the coming days. But one thing is already clear. This isn’t a story about countries on the periphery of the world economy. It is a story about how the British state drives a global system in which the richest extract wealth from the rest.
These places aren’t just British in an abstract sense. Under the 2002 British Overseas Territories Act, their citizens are British citizens. They operate under the protection of the British diplomatic service. And, when need be, they can rely on Her Majesty’s Armed Forces:
https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opende ... l-britain/
The documents contain personal financial information about wealthy individuals and public officials that had previously been kept private. The publication of these documents made it possible to establish the prosecution of Jan Marsalek, who is still a person of interest to a number of European governments due to his revealed links with Russian intelligence, and international financial fraudsters David and Josh Baazov. While offshore business entities are legal (see Offshore Magic Circle), reporters found that some of the Mossack Fonseca shell corporations were used for illegal purposes, including fraud, tax evasion, and evading international sanctions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_Papers

I make no apology for repeating facts you clearly missed when I first posted them.
To publish these papers was a great service to Britain and to the rest of the world.
All you can say is that if we did not launder the money of these exploiters is that if we did not do it, someone else would!
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Unfortunately thats true. For the record I dont like it either. Whats your solution?

Al