Food poverty-the way out

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PedallingSquares

Re: Food poverty-the way out

Post by PedallingSquares »

thirdcrank wrote: 12 May 2022, 9:29am Lee Anderson MP doesn't fit the stereotype of a Tory MP.
He claimed over £220k in expenses in one year.
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/polit ... ar-322230/

I don't see him budgeting £30 for a meal let alone 30p :roll:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

PedallingSquares wrote: 12 May 2022, 10:47am
thirdcrank wrote: 12 May 2022, 9:29am Lee Anderson MP doesn't fit the stereotype of a Tory MP.

But that's typical of many politicians of every stripe and at every level.
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

thirdcrank wrote: 12 May 2022, 10:54am
PedallingSquares wrote: 12 May 2022, 10:47am
But that's typical of many politicians of every stripe and at every level.
So he is in fact just like a typical Tory MP!He fits the stereotype perfectly!
They are all the same.
Where they get £220k in expenses and how they are allowed to get away with it shows just how corrupt they and the system are.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

MPs' "expenses" include lots of different things:

"Mr Anderson's Parliamentary expenses ran to more than £222,000 in 2020-21, an increase of almost £50,000 on the year before.
That figure includes £165,200 on staff wages and £32,100 on other office expenditures. He also claimed back £21,200 on accommodation and £4,100 on travel and "subsistence." That included hotel stays, train tickets and £67.57 listed as "hospitality"."

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/lee ... ic-7068741

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 12 May 2022, 8:55am... but wouldn't it be so much more effective if scratch cooking and home budgeting was a core part of the school curriculum? Can you imagine the faces on the food industry executives - they'd be livid !!
al_yrpal wrote: 12 May 2022, 9:45am I do agree that Home Economics has a place in every schools curriculum...
Usual question for everyone who wants to add something to the mandated curriculum: What would you remove to make space, or would you increase school hours?

Thanks

Jonathan
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

al_yrpal wrote: 11 May 2022, 9:36pmI would like to see his 30p menu!
For a dietary requirement of 2500kcal a day, you would need foodstuffs that cost less than 12p/1000kcals. The only products I can find that meet that are flour and budget pasta, even lard and sugar are over budget.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Agreed:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Ander ... olitician)

But three axes rather than merely the single left-right are needed for most analyses nowadays.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

axel_knutt wrote: 12 May 2022, 1:08pm
For a dietary requirement of 2500kcal a day, you would need foodstuffs that cost less than 12p/1000kcals. The only products I can find that meet that are flour and budget pasta, even lard and sugar are over budget.
Qu'ils mangent de la brioche?

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Jdsk wrote: 12 May 2022, 12:53pm
simonineaston wrote: 12 May 2022, 8:55am... but wouldn't it be so much more effective if scratch cooking and home budgeting was a core part of the school curriculum? Can you imagine the faces on the food industry executives - they'd be livid !!
al_yrpal wrote: 12 May 2022, 9:45am I do agree that Home Economics has a place in every schools curriculum...
Usual question for everyone who wants to add something to the mandated curriculum: What would you remove to make space, or would you increase school hours?

Thanks

Jonathan
Easy, dump religious educatíon and as an essential life skill shave everything or extend hours to cope.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks.

I'd guess that you'd also include the obligatory daily act of religious worship?

Jonathan
pete75

Post by pete75 »

axel_knutt wrote: 12 May 2022, 1:08pm
Yep. Even tates at 7 quid for 25kg cost way over 12p per 1000 calories. I suppose if you got yourself a decent lurcher you'd get "free" rabbits and hares. Wouldn't be surprising if someone like Jacob Really-Smug recommends it, only on common land of course - wouldn't want to interfere with private landowner's rights.

I don't think there's currently anyone on the Conservative benches with the same level of battiness as the late SIr Keith Joseph. He'd probably be suggesting the poor should eat their young.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote: 12 May 2022, 1:22pm
Jdsk wrote: 12 May 2022, 12:53pm

Thanks

Jonathan
Easy, dump religious educatíon and as an essential life skill shave everything or extend hours to cope.

Al
Nah, they should be encouraging religious faith as a way of getting free bread and wine at Communion. Every little helps as Tesco say. :wink:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

al_yrpal wrote: 12 May 2022, 9:45am I do agree that Home Economics has a place in every schools curriculum, but here and now this guy is offering adult education by volunteers which is a worthy alternative for those who might benefit from it
Patronising? I dont think so, practical would be my description. I can appreciate that some folk might see it that way and decline, bad habits die hard.
Milk and teabags for a day would exceed his 30p limit. I am going to drop him a line and ask him to publish his menu.

Meantime, here is a video from Mr Ashfields Facebook page... https://youtu.be/xt8fEcV-zXA

Nice to see something positive to help the least well off from a politician.

Al
There is nothing wrong with offering budgeting and cooking classes. I think that could be an important part of providing resources to families in need. But to state unequivocally that people rely on food banks because they don't know how to budget or cook is patronising & ridiculous. Some of these families don't even have a working cooker, let alone the money to pay for gas or electricity to run it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Jdsk wrote: 12 May 2022, 1:25pm Thanks.

I'd guess that you'd also include the obligatory daily act of religious worship?

Jonathan
Yes I would, religion has no place in schools but lifeskills like how to cook, keep house and budget are essential for everyone. We taught our kids to cook and save early on. Coming from a working class background I learnt from my parents to live within my means and save for that rainy day. Some folk get no parental guidance at all and consequently suffer deprivation all their lives.

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 12 May 2022, 2:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Vorpal wrote: 12 May 2022, 1:33pm
al_yrpal wrote: 12 May 2022, 9:45am I do agree that Home Economics has a place in every schools curriculum, but here and now this guy is offering adult education by volunteers which is a worthy alternative for those who might benefit from it
Patronising? I dont think so, practical would be my description. I can appreciate that some folk might see it that way and decline, bad habits die hard.
Milk and teabags for a day would exceed his 30p limit. I am going to drop him a line and ask him to publish his menu.

Meantime, here is a video from Mr Ashfields Facebook page... https://youtu.be/xt8fEcV-zXA

Nice to see something positive to help the least well off from a politician.

Al
There is nothing wrong with offering budgeting and cooking classes. I think that could be an important part of providing resources to families in need. But to state unequivocally that people rely on food banks because they don't know how to budget or cook is patronising & ridiculous. Some of these families don't even have a working cooker, let alone the money to pay for gas or electricity to run it.
I thought people rely on food banks because they have little or no money to buy food not because they don't know how to cook it. Budgeting is a luxury for people who have disposable income. When you have very little every bit is spent on life's basic needs.