Food poverty-the way out

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Food poverty-the way out

Post by Jdsk »

"The cost of living crisis will trigger an increase in crime and officers need to use their “discretion” when deciding whether to prosecute people who steal in order to eat, the new chief inspector of constabulary has said."
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... e-watchdog

Jonathan

PS: And:

Every burglary victim should get a visit from the police.
Forces may be marked down by the inspectorate if they fail to do so.
The charging rate should more than treble, from the current 6% to at least 20%.
The criminal justice system is failing victims of rape.
Policing is still recovering from cuts inflicted by the Conservative governments from 2010.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Supermarkets are starting to report increases in shop-lifting, with the emphasis switching from high-end good stolen to sell on, to basics like baby-milk formula. Anyone interested in this change, need only keep watch on which goods they are tagging...
still, there is good news - loads of energy firms are reporting healthy profits.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

facebook_1652936669216_6932918883442929991.jpg
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

I think the media are winding people up into a frenzy to think that food and heat is more unaffordable than it is - you could live in a warm house and eat well for less than a packet of smokes a day, but some choose the later.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Pebble wrote: 19 May 2022, 8:00am I think the media are winding people up into a frenzy to think that food and heat is more unaffordable than it is - you could live in a warm house and eat well for less than a packet of smokes a day, but some choose the later.
Whilst I agree about the smokes,on top of your summary theres rent/mortgage,council tax,water rates,travel to work,clothing,possibly child care,etc,etc.
We're currently experiencing the largest inflation rates since the '70's.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Re MPs' expenses, IMO a reasonable comparator would be jury service. In E&W jurors may claim up to £5.71 a day for food and drink.

https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/what-yo ... n-employee
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

reohn2 wrote: 19 May 2022, 8:42am
Pebble wrote: 19 May 2022, 8:00am I think the media are winding people up into a frenzy to think that food and heat is more unaffordable than it is - you could live in a warm house and eat well for less than a packet of smokes a day, but some choose the later.
Whilst I agree about the smokes,on top of your summary theres rent/mortgage,council tax,water rates,travel to work,clothing,possibly child care,etc,etc.
I totally agree, we are heading towards a disaster, even personally this could have a dramatic affect on me, I may have to go back to work (retired on savings). But do think the 'I can't affoard to feed myself' is being over played. Good quality food, even with big price increases is still not expensive,

just had Breakfast - 170g porridge oats 13.6p + pint milk 28.5p = 937 calories for 42 pence + electric for heating 3.7p
that is a quality breakfast for less than 50p
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Pebble wrote: 19 May 2022, 9:42am
I totally agree, we are heading towards a disaster, even personally this could have a dramatic affect on me, I may have to go back to work (retired on savings). But do think the 'I can't affoard to feed myself' is being over played. Good quality food, even with big price increases is still not expensive,

just had Breakfast - 170g porridge oats 13.6p + pint milk 28.5p = 937 calories for 42 pence + electric for heating 3.7p
that is a quality breakfast for less than 50p
My point was that there are certain expenditures that are set and people can't avoid paying,gas and elec have rocketed whilst energy providers ahve freely admited they their profits have ballooned so much they don't know what to do with it all!
Food cost is variable to a point but only to a point,yes you've had a cheap breakfast but think if you were working and on the go all day,would your current food intake suffice,especially if you had a manual job.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

There's no need to rely on "the media". We can now look at the data ourselves more quickly, cheaply and easily than ever before. That includes food costs, heating costs, disposable income, value of benefits, relative poverty, absolute poverty, child poverty and much more from bodies such as the Office for National Statistics, Parliamentary Select Committees, the Institute for Fiscal Studies and the Resolution Foundation.

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

there are certain expenditures that are set and people can't avoid paying,gas and elec have rocketed whilst energy providers ahve freely admited they their profits have ballooned
In this sense, the notion of energy as a market has completely failed. And integral in that failure is the role of the so-called regulator, Ofgem, one of whose stated aims (see below) is to protect the consumer from price variations. Don't make me larf. Martin Lewis didn't larf either, although he was decent enough to offer an apology later. Mind you, I think he was only saying what we are all thinking...
Attachments
screenshot of Ofgem home page
screenshot of Ofgem home page
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The stuff is starting to hit the fan. Unfortunately its going to get a lot worse. Civil disobedience will happen. Feel sorry for the folk in poorer countries.
Friends just returned from a charity trip to Bulgaria. They have 100,000 Ukranian refugees there and the Covid/cost of living crisis is getting desperate.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Simply a rehersal for the sort of consequences that will inevitably accompany climate chaos... food & power shortages, deteriorating infrastructure, mass migration. Any day soon - oh, wait a minute... It's already started !!
S
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote: 19 May 2022, 10:25am The stuff is starting to hit the fan. Unfortunately its going to get a lot worse. Civil disobedience will happen. Feel sorry for the folk in poorer countries.
Friends just returned from a charity trip to Bulgaria. They have 100,000 Ukranian refugees there and the Covid/cost of living crisis is getting desperate.
simonineaston wrote: 19 May 2022, 11:10am Simply a rehersal for the sort of consequences that will inevitably accompany climate chaos... food & power shortages, deteriorating infrastructure, mass migration. Any day soon - oh, wait a minute... It's already started !!
Hunger, starvation and undernutrition across the world are decreasing.

It's under our control whether we address food poverty in the UK. We know why it's increasing and we know how to reduce it.

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Unfortunately its not. With wild cards like Putin and corrupt and incompetent politicians running things its far from within our control.
The only control I have is over my own home and garden and even then I am in the thrall of all sorts of unwanted officialdom

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 19 May 2022, 11:19amIt's under our control whether we address food poverty in the UK. We know why it's increasing and we know how to reduce it.
al_yrpal wrote: 19 May 2022, 11:31am Unfortunately its not. With wild cards like Putin and corrupt and incompetent politicians running things its far from within our control.
The only control I have is over my own home and garden and even then I am in the thrall of all sorts of unwanted officialdom
We have control over food production, trade agreements affecting food, economic productivity, taxation, fiscal redistribution, state benefits, provision of free school meals, education and many other factors that affect food poverty.

The UK's GDP per capita isn't as high as it should be but it's massive by historical or geographical standards. It's easily high enough to dramatically reduce food poverty. We've chosen not to.

Jonathan