Pan Verses Kettle

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Wenagade

Pan Verses Kettle

Post by Wenagade »

Calling all electric peeps ...

Which uses more electricity

A 1.5 l stainless steel pot with lid has hole & pouring gauge on either side,

Or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tower-Travel-K ... 3379&psc=1

Both using the same amount of water.

The hob is 1500 watts & on for 3 minutes tea & 4 mins coffee both est & left on hob for 3 minutes remaining.

I had a nice Bosch kettle & toaster but binned them care of health requirements.

I can confirm the drinking less coffee hasn't as of yet materialised resulting from the trial of hob boiling.

Aim is to assatain if hob boiling is using significantly more electric & thus better to get the kettle, especially considering we need to pay for wars for lols & blank clean gas for fraked.

Thanks.
axel_knutt

Re: Pan Verses Kettle

Post by axel_knutt »

The kettle is more efficient because the element is in direct contact with the water, and even more so if it is the old style element immersed in the water.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

It says it is 'dual voltage' but only quotes 110v - what is it's other voltage ?
For use while camping ? does it come with a long extention lead or a big battery ?
it says it is 1000w then later says it is 650w

but to answer your question, the kettle will almost certainly use a little less energy than a pan on the hob - however it may take many years to save your £17.17

Also curious, what sort of heath requirements require you to bin your german kettle & toaster ?
Wenagade

Post by Wenagade »

Thanks

Bread is sugar !

& so is milk

& coffee addiction / anxiety causing chemical toxic
failing world stuff.

I'll get the kettle if it's got a UK plug if there's a significant difference.

Small kettle one cup i'd assume is significantly less
energy use.

& no i don't have diabetes that's just another convention that manages health instead of dealing
with the resistance, like telling people their there there then obese instead of educating with a kick up the rather large fat ass !

fcs
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

For boiling water the kettle is more efficient because the element is in more intimate contact with the water, so less heat is wasted to the surrounding air, and because it is enclosed, again resulting in less waste of heat to surrounding air.

The trouble with a kettle can be that it is a poor way of boiling small quantities of water, and a poor way of heating water to less than boiling point, both of which can indirectly lead to waste.

If anyone knows of a kettle-like, mains powered device that can happily deal with quantities say 0.25 to 3L with controlled temperatures, I’d be very interested - surely such a thing must exist.
Wenagade

Post by Wenagade »

You should of said , you could of had my Bosch kettle it had a percentage boil !

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8884424 ... lsrc=aw.ds

Alassie it was to big for my new kitchen configuration of essential ' space '.

Any recommendations for a small efficient kettle welcome preferably stainless steel or part & or black.
Last edited by Wenagade on 3 May 2022, 7:36am, edited 2 times in total.
rjb

Post by rjb »

If you have a gas hob it's far cheaper to heat water using gas. Not as efficient as using electric but gas is roughly 1/4 the price of electric per KW/HR. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

rjb wrote: 3 May 2022, 7:33am If you have a gas hob it's far cheaper to heat water using gas. Not as efficient as using electric but gas is roughly 1/4 the price of electric per KW/HR. :wink:
interesting -must admit that when making an instant coffee for 1 I use a Trangia kettle with a single cup of water poured in on a gas hob. Pretty fast.
I had the idea that this made sense despite the system not being all enclosed - thanks for the reassurance.
Sweep
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Nearholmer wrote: 3 May 2022, 7:01am If anyone knows of a kettle-like, mains powered device that can happily deal with quantities say 0.25 to 3L with controlled temperatures, I’d be very interested - surely such a thing must exist.
Not really kettle like but microwave? Should be fairly controlled once you have the timings down.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
SporranMcDonald

Post by SporranMcDonald »

Configurations may vary :

Efficiency as in kWh to boil a give quantity of water
========
Kettle better than pan
Electric kettle better than kettle on gas hob

Carbon Dioxide produced minimising Greenhouse Gas production
====================
Kettle better than pan
Electric kettle better than kettle on gas hob

Using a Grid average of 250g CO2 / kWh for Electricity
& 450g CO2 / kWh for Gas

Money Cost
=========
I'm sure we are all thinking about the future for our children, Grandchildren, future generations.
The money cost is a trivial concern compared with the climate destruction catastrophe that is now in progress.

Mini Kettles
===========
I bought a 2nd-hand, one-mug-kettle from a Red Cross shop.
It belts out a grid-friendly 700W. Not a single drop wasted.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Efficiency Temp.png
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Wenagade

Post by Wenagade »

Great find mr graph !

Its basically going to cost twice as much EST

Its an electric hob.

I'll look for a kettle !

Thanks
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Any excess heated water in the kettle acts like a radiator and contributes to the heating of your home, it is only those rare weeks in the summer that this heat energy is wasted.

I was interested to see the link to the kettle above where temperature could be controlled, I would love a kettle that switched off at 90° - save me having to cool the water down before making my cuppa. Would love to also see a thermometer on the kettle so I knew what the temp was and did not need to often bring it back to the boil.

Of course these kettles are very expensive so you would never get your money back in saving on electric, but it would make me feel etter about my environmental footprint.
Wenagade

Post by Wenagade »

Well intended on small kettle sub £20 pound.

For ease of use & because i love my 3 pots & don't wish to overuse one.

Kettles notoriously use plenty of energy so if it was twice as much via the electric hob surely within about 3 years it might of paid for itself.

If not i might just keep using the pot & it is just to easy to use a kettle

I do sometimes have water instead just because several hob boils a day is tedious.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Probably the simplest way to ensure boiling water is as inexpensive as possible is to be very careful about how much you heat.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)