Secure shed for front of house for trike

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
belgiangoth

Secure shed for front of house for trike

Post by belgiangoth »

I was thinking about something like this
https://www.asgardsss.co.uk/large-metal-bike-shed
Not sure about how secure it would be (for front of house) and need to double check that it is long enough. Would be good not to have to lug the trike through a terraced house when I want to use it - reckon I would use it significantly more if it were easier to get at.
Not ideal as I don't need something that high getting in the way of the front window and I would still need to lift the trike out through the top.

Anyone tried something like this with their trike?
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
thirdcrank

Re: Secure shed for front of house for trike

Post by thirdcrank »

viewtopic.php?p=1690524#p1690524

That's from yesterday
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

The 29er shed would be long enough, but only opens in the middle, so the trike would have to be lifted over the top. It's not ideal as a shorter shed with a lid that opens all the way to vertical would be better (and/or open lengthwise, or from one end even).
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Have you checked other sheds in the range? eg this is for two bikes with doors at both ends so you might be able to wheel your machine in at one end and out of the other.

https://www.asgardsss.co.uk/metal-bike-locker
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PS I don't know if this still applies and I can't find anything about it on the website, but I'm pretty sure that once upon a time they offered some flexibility. The construction is modular so if you wanted standard bits to assemble in a slightly different configuration that may be possible. Perhaps streamlining of production has become necessary with increasing market share.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

And you may need planning permission - depends on where exactly it would be 'out front' ie ' Your shed should not be positioned forward of a wall that forms the principal elevation of the property.'
"42"
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

thirdcrank, thanks for the suggestion. At 1.9m it's smaller than I would like, but a better option than the other smaller ones (probably).
Front of house has gravel in a ~2mx2m area, but have to account for wheelie bin store and a downpipe from the roof (that flows with the water from the two neighbouring roofs). I could move the bin store to be level with the downpipe and then have the bike store behind that.
Thanks for the heads-up squeaker. There are a number of bike stores out front on my road so I expect it's not a problem. Up the road (BVT) I know someone has had to ask for planning permission and had it rejected - they are considering getting the shittiest ugliest trailer they can find to park on their drive as a bike store.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but don't be limited by the company's categories in deciding what you need. eg Some of the motorbike sheds have extra ventilation to deal with condensation.

I've seen plenty of these sheds at local schools and I really do think they look good. Some years ago I chatted about this to the head of a small primary school who had to do most of his own admin and he said the firm had been really good about coming up with exactly what he needed. (We're only a short ride from the company premises - perhaps that made a difference.)

Most outdoor storage I seem to see must be ok for keeping rain off, but not much more. These will also keep most thieves out, unless they arrive with some impressive power tools.

I've no connection at all with the firm, btw, although some thirty years ago I was stationed at Dudley Hill which covered that area and as I've posted on other threads, being based there they won't have any bourgeois ideas about security
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

belgiangoth wrote: 16 May 2022, 10:15amUp the road (BVT) I know someone has had to ask for planning permission and had it rejected - they are considering getting the shittiest ugliest trailer they can find to park on their drive as a bike store.
I nearly suggested an MOT expired van...
"42"
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Going of thread, I fear, but in the 1970s the short-lived West Yorkshire Metropolitan County Council had plans afoot for banning touring caravans being stored in front of the building line and quite a lot of caravanning colleagues had nowhere else to keep them. An ideal conversation starter for canteen wind-up merchants when trolls were still creatures in fairy tales
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

squeaker wrote: 16 May 2022, 11:52am
I nearly suggested an MOT expired van...
[/quote]
I don't have a parking space in front of the house and getting a vehicle would require annual MOT and VED.
I did wonder about parking a horse box (or the like) in front of the house and using that - I could immobilise it and there would not (?) be any MOT or VED on it (I would have thought)