Big Apple or Big Ben?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
skeltrike

Big Apple or Big Ben?

Post by skeltrike »

Disastrous weekend tyre-wise. Looking to replace both rear tyres on my Kett. it has always had 20" Big Apples. Googling has turned up Big Ben, can anyone explain the difference? (simply)
belgiangoth

Re: Big Apple or Big Ben?

Post by belgiangoth »

Big Ben - no puncture protection liner; Big Apple - layer of puncture protection.
My wife's Tern came with Big Ben's, but after her first puncture we swapped them for Big Ben plus (which have even thicker puncture protection liner). My previous experience of Schwalbe "plus" models were Marathon Plus so I was worried, but on handling the Big Ben Plus I wondered whether we had got the right tyre, as it remains thin, supple (ish) and reasonably light.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

Thanks for that Belgaingoth
A friend has been struggling to find some 26” Big Apples which gives the supple sidewall required for comfort. If the Big Bens remains supple they should be adequate.
Thanks
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I thought the only difference was more tread on the Big Ben. They both come in plus and and non-plus versions I thought.
hercule

Post by hercule »

Having used them both, the BB has a meatier tread than the BA and I think is sized larger (2.15” vs 2.0” respectively) for the narrowest ones. My impression is that the BB was heavier and it may be a tight fit for your Kett’s mudguards.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

UpWrong wrote: 4 May 2022, 10:51am I thought the only difference was more tread on the Big Ben. They both come in plus and and non-plus versions I thought.
Currently on the Schwalbe site they don't list a BB plus and the image of the two are identical.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

belgiangoth wrote: 4 May 2022, 6:37pm
UpWrong wrote: 4 May 2022, 10:51am I thought the only difference was more tread on the Big Ben. They both come in plus and and non-plus versions I thought.
Currently on the Schwalbe site they don't list a BB plus and the image of the two are identical.
What do the two different pull-down sections at the bottom mean? One has Race Guard and the other has K-Guard.
https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/big-ben

Jonathan

Screenshot 2022-05-04 at 18.38.25.png
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Two versions with different puncture protection. Raceguard is 2 layers of nylon fabric, K-guards is one layer of kevlar. Kevlar slows you down more because it absorbs more energy.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thankyou.

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

If your only ever on tarmac or dry path the big Ben's are fine but when on a wet path the tread pattern is too shallow. I put the land cruisers on and find they are much better for slightly mucky/wet conditions . Land Cruisers roll better too but are slightly heavier.
I am here. Where are you?
skeltrike

Post by skeltrike »

Thanks all, decided to stick with Big Apples as they have served me well to date, hoping they arrive before the weekend! :D