Luggage: Bar Bag Equivalent?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Psamathe

Luggage: Bar Bag Equivalent?

Post by Psamathe »

Trying to sort out my touring setup on my ICE Sprint X Tour. I'm using large Banana Side panniers for everything but on 2 wheels I make a lot of use of my bar bag for camera, passport, wallet, valuables, etc. so when popping into a shop I grab the bar bag and leave the rest; in restaurants and away from tent use it to carry my valuables so it's very useful.

I had been considering a trunk bag on the rear rack e.g.
e-trunk_f8240_front.jpg
e-trunk_f8240_front.jpg (20.76 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
But as it's a 26" rear wheel and with suspension the rear rack is high and the trunk bag on top, apart from weight very high will likely obstruct the flag (or be bashed around by flag at speed/in wind).
Untitled copy.jpg
Untitled copy.jpg (26.76 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
I have no idea how much safely the flag adds (and I don't always use it and not noticed any difference) probably a debate for elsewhere (and with low laid-back seat the flag at highest is only 2m above ground)

I'd previously been thinking about my bar bag beside the seat using a Terracycle side mount
SMK291.jpg
SMK291.jpg (35.95 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
(https://t-cycle.com/collections/seatsid ... frame-tube) but they position the bag right in line of the front wheel and whilst I have mudguards, it is low and going to take I lot of thrown-up water/muck. It's expensive but I have a bar bag and would not need to buy a trunk bag (so total expenditure not massively different).

Questions:
1. Does the low side mount really collect loads of muck? Ways to avoid that?

2. Do without a flag and put trunk bag high on rear rack?

3. What possibilities have I overlooked ?

Many thanks
Ian
Jdsk

Re: Luggage: Bar Bag Equivalent?

Post by Jdsk »

Do you want the top of the rack that high... is it to allow tall bags on the side?

If you removed the lamp bracket could you slide a bag in under the top of the rack?

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 7 May 2022, 2:25pm Do you want the top of the rack that high... is it to allow tall bags on the side?

If you removed the lamp bracket could you slide a bag in under the top of the rack?

Jonathan
The pic is from ICE's catalogue. On my bike the gap between top of rear wheel (mudguard) and bottom of rack is 10 cm which is to allow for the max. suspension movement (e.g. I sit on the bike and 10 cm becomes less but hit a bad bump ...).

Top of rack looks very high to me, but some of that is perception as the trike is low (3" ground clearance) and the seat quite laid back. The side panniers (Radical ones) are 2 straps across seat and 3rd rear strap across rear rack and they sit 6 cm below the top of the rack (which is probably sensible as the panniers are "hanging" off the strap.

The style of bar/trunk bag I like is moderately solid in that made of cordura'y stuff but holds it's shape i.e. will stand-up on it's own. This gives good protection to camera, iPad, etc.

Ian
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Small "top tube" bags can hold phone, keys, wallet etc. I really didn't like tailbags on top of racks with a large wheel trike. Bad weight distribution and hard to get to. I recommend the bar bag, with mudflap on the wheel. You can always put a rain cover over the bag.

Why the T-cycle bar bag adaptor and not the ICE or AZUB one?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

UpWrong wrote: 7 May 2022, 5:08pm Small "top tube" bags can hold phone, keys, wallet etc. I really didn't like tailbags on top of racks with a large wheel trike. Bad weight distribution and hard to get to. I recommend the bar bag, with mudflap on the wheel. You can always put a rain cover over the bag.

Why the T-cycle bar bag adaptor and not the ICE or AZUB one?
I have a hardshell seat and the ICE one is only for mesh seats. The Terra Cycle one I was considering clamps to the main tube rather than the seat so works with hardshell seats.

I was not aware of the AZUB one but it look specific to their models (and layout for seat attachment).

I am wondering about some rain cover (even a DIY one).

Ian
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Ah yes. I was thinking of the AZUB adaptor for a mesh seat.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Do you want something easily accessible on the road or ease to remove valuables on tour. If the latter, just pack a bag in the top of your bananas, unzip sling over shoulder and go. If you need quick access on the go, consider something like a tri bag or a fastback flash frame pack.
T-cycles stuff is elegant but xpensive.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
sharpedge

Post by sharpedge »

instead of the expensive ICE accesory I used the old bar bag handlebar fitting off my two wheeler mounted on the longitudinal bar under the seat and added three extension fittings before the bag fitting. the wire clamp goes round the outer seat bar. I have bags on both sides so for a short ride the two are all I need. (one with the phone, wallet, keys etc and the other with lunch and a waterproof).
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Psamathe wrote: 7 May 2022, 2:22pm Trying to sort out my touring setup on my ICE Sprint X Tour. I'm using large Banana Side panniers for everything but on 2 wheels I make a lot of use of my bar bag for camera, passport, wallet, valuables, etc. so when popping into a shop I grab the bar bag and leave the rest; in restaurants and away from tent use it to carry my valuables so it's very useful.

I had been considering a trunk bag on the rear rack e.g.e-trunk_f8240_front.jpg

But as it's a 26" rear wheel and with suspension the rear rack is high and the trunk bag on top, apart from weight very high will likely obstruct the flag (or be bashed around by flag at speed/in wind).
e-trunk_f8240_front.jpg
e-trunk_f8240_front.jpg (22.48 KiB) Viewed 891 times
I'd forgotten about this thread.

I did get the above bag and it is truly dreadful!. Hated it.

So many shortcomings, Ortlieb completely messed-up on this one.

e.g. 1st day in use and it almost broke screens on my tablet as the strap has a habit of auto-detaching at one or other end several seconds after it's over your shoulder and crash onto the ground. And even when you are aware of this tendency and double check it still periodically happens.

e.g. the top is a flap that always wants to close so is hunting around for something in the bag, one hand has to hold the top open or it will flap mostly closed so you can't see into the bag.

e.g. the magnetic closure is weak. If not 100% exactly positioned it can hold very weakly and flap open. You have to pull the flap down hard and push the magnet into the fitting to make sure it holds. (Unlike the bar bags where the top folds right back and stays back and closed and stays closed.

I won't be using it again!

Ian
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I've been humming and harring about a rack pack for ages and Ortleib usually high on my list (used to use an Edinburgh Bikes one years back, got fed up with the faff of on/off with velcro strips) so this is a useful warning. Guess everyone makes lemons from time to time!

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...