Do locks have to be re-rated to move from Sold Secure Gold to Diamond?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
munderwood

Do locks have to be re-rated to move from Sold Secure Gold to Diamond?

Post by munderwood »

When Sold Secure introduced the New Diamond category, did existing gold rated locks have to be re-rated to reach the new level? I was looking at the "Kryptonite New-U New York Standard" lock and would have thought that it would have reached diamond with the 16mm shackle? Thanks, Matt
PH

Re: Do locks have to be re-rated to move from Sold Secure Gold to Diamond?

Post by PH »

Bear in mind that locks can't be rated Diamond until they're submitted for testing. So for a while, the picture will be confusing as locks that should be Diamond remain Gold!
https://thebestbikelock.com/best-bike-l ... -the-list/
munderwood

Post by munderwood »

Thanks! That's the exact information I was looking for. I'm going to fire off an e-mail to Kryptonite to ask if this lock has been re-tested, Matt
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

My New York Lock is so old, it has the World Trade Center on it! Currently on loan to a relative and successfully stopping her bike from being stolen in Bristol. It's not as rough where I live, so a mini-U does the job.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

https://www.soldsecure.com/approved-pro ... uct_types=

Still as gold on there. They don't have test dates unfortunately but you'd normally expect a 16mm decently hardened shackle to fall into the diamond rating.

For reference the 16mm onguard brute was a gold that has since retested to diamond and that has a slightly weaker construction for the locking cylinder.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop