Hairline crack in carbon frame

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
peetee

Re: Hairline crack in carbon frame

Post by peetee »

Paradiddle wrote: 22 May 2022, 3:56pm
The only thing I noticed was that the etched Sonder logo on the headtube is missing from my frame. This is present on the frame on the website and in photos of other people's Ti Colibri. Perhaps my new frame is a prototype or store model. Or maybe they know that I'm so sick of Sonder that they gave me a frame without their badge.
Make sure you have a receipt for the frame with an explaination of the exchange and the lack of makers name. Given the level of service you have received so far I fear resolving an issue with it in the future would be fraught with problems if you have no proof of purchase and a frame with no ID.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Paradiddle

Post by Paradiddle »

peetee wrote:
Paradiddle wrote: 22 May 2022, 3:56pm
The only thing I noticed was that the etched Sonder logo on the headtube is missing from my frame. This is present on the frame on the website and in photos of other people's Ti Colibri. Perhaps my new frame is a prototype or store model. Or maybe they know that I'm so sick of Sonder that they gave me a frame without their badge.
Make sure you have a receipt for the frame with an explaination of the exchange and the lack of makers name. Given the level of service you have received so far I fear resolving an issue with it in the future would be fraught with problems if you have no proof of purchase and a frame with no ID.
Thanks peetee. I have the receipts and details of the frame exchange on email.

The Sonder name is etched on both sides of the down tube while the Colibri Ti model name is on both sides of the top tube. The frame number is also etched under the bottom bracket. It's only the Sonder logo that is missing from the head tube.

Although now that I've had a proper look, the Colibri text is etched towards the back of the top tube on my bike. On the website it's etched towards the front.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Maaaaarvelous!
Hope the new frame is good enough for you to put this all behind you. :)
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

I did a group cycle LEJOG last year. One of the guys raved about Colibri Ti.
So much so that I have also moved over to Ti, although not with Sonder due to their very long delivery times.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Paradiddle wrote: 23 May 2022, 2:32pm
The Sonder name is etched on both sides of the down tube while the Colibri Ti model name is on both sides of the top tube. The frame number is also etched under the bottom bracket. It's only the Sonder logo that is missing from the head tube.

Although now that I've had a proper look, the Colibri text is etched towards the back of the top tube on my bike. On the website it's etched towards the front.
Most photos on websites are mocked up - often they're "made" well before the frames have actually been built so it's basically just a computer design rather than actual photos of a frame. Not unusual for minor changes like logo placement, even full colour schemes at times. There's often a disclaimer somewhere to say "specs may change without notice" or similar to cover the eventuality of stock issues with componentry as well.

As for the lack of headtube logo, it's entirely possible that it's a batch of frames kept back for frame-only sales. A lot of frames sold for custom builds differ in very minor ways - logo placement being one of them - and there are various reasons for that. I wouldn't say it's something to worry about in any way. I assume it has a frame number? And it came direct from Sonder so it's clearly not a grey import or a dodgy deal. It'll be fine. Ti is really nice and it cleans up well too.
Paradiddle

Post by Paradiddle »

rareposter wrote: 23 May 2022, 5:02pm Most photos on websites are mocked up - often they're "made" well before the frames have actually been built so it's basically just a computer design rather than actual photos of a frame. Not unusual for minor changes like logo placement, even full colour schemes at times. There's often a disclaimer somewhere to say "specs may change without notice" or similar to cover the eventuality of stock issues with componentry as well.

As for the lack of headtube logo, it's entirely possible that it's a batch of frames kept back for frame-only sales. A lot of frames sold for custom builds differ in very minor ways - logo placement being one of them - and there are various reasons for that. I wouldn't say it's something to worry about in any way. I assume it has a frame number? And it came direct from Sonder so it's clearly not a grey import or a dodgy deal. It'll be fine. Ti is really nice and it cleans up well too.
Yeah, I'm not too worried about it, although all of the photos I've seen of other people's Colibri online have the badge and the Colibri text on the front of the headtube. I was also thinking it's potentially the difference in frames sold for custom build but again you can see the badge and text in this custom build video: https://youtu.be/aA1MN8DQP-Y

It doesn't really matter but I'm just curious where they found this frame. If you were to buy the frame today, the ETA shows as the 18th of June.
peetee wrote: 23 May 2022, 3:29pm Maaaaarvelous!
Hope the new frame is good enough for you to put this all behind you. :)
Jules59 wrote: 23 May 2022, 5:00pm I did a group cycle LEJOG last year. One of the guys raved about Colibri Ti.
So much so that I have also moved over to Ti, although not with Sonder due to their very long delivery times.
I hope so. Titanium frame does feel like a revelation. I suppose the one good thing that came out of this is I got the opportunity to own one at a discount. Whereas before I couldn't justify the cost and I was more focused on chasing after lightness. At least now I know that bike weight isn't everything.