certification query

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
scoot

certification query

Post by scoot »

Hi,

I'm starting my LEJOG on Saturday (14th May 2022) I've heard somewhere that there is a register of end to enders that have completed the ride. My memory is that you need to get some signatures to prove being in locations and you send the sheet off to be verified / accepted and get a certificate. I'm not to worried about this verification but we are doing it for Parkinson's UK and a certificate or similar may help them to raise awareness and maximise fundraising.

I'd like to thank this forum, I've been lurking, gleaning info and using the info attained to organise our ride. There's lots of good info on here :) I didn't post personally because I was happy with the info I had and TBH too much info would have only confused me :D :D

The ride: My son and I are leaving on Saturday, we will ride for 13 days, 80 miles per day average, the first day is on 22 miles but will be done on our drive down day from Essex.

We are fully funding this ourselves and will be staying in hotels, we are semi supported: my wife will leapfrog us in the car for the first 4 days and I have a work colleague that will "be in the area for emergencies" from day 7. We will therefore be carrying all all kit but have back up in an emergency. He is in a campervan and using the trip as a sort of wildlife trip, we may not see him for several days depending on what he decides to do. The main benefit is he will be at John O'Groats to drive us home :D

We've been slowly ramping up the training: I'm 67 and have spent my time mostly on the road extending miles and time. I spent a week in the Peak District for some hill training, as mentioned we are from Essex which at best undulates, even the biggest hills here pale into insignificance against the Peaks hills :D
My Son, who is 39 has been limited by working and has shared his training between interval training, road riding and we have done several rides together.

I've been struggling with deciding which bike to ride but decided on my Scott CX :D my heart said to use my 1979 Raleigh Record Ace but it lost out because of poor brakes and needing some work on the wheels. I also have a Giant endurance bike but that isn't as comfy as the CX and possible a little lighter, but its a bit more delicate than the CX. As you can see the CX was chosen for being more robust, having better brakes (disks) and the previously mentioned comfort :D
My son has less of a choice for bikes and will be on his Trek endurance bikes with uprated Campagnola wheels - I am very envious of these :) His full suspension MTB didn't get a look in surprisingly :lol:

Bottom line is that I'm just about packed - I have ridden the bike fully dressed - and just want to be on my way, the long range forecast is looking reasonable but can of course change by the time we leave.

Thanks for any info you can offer on my initial question and for the info gleaned from this excellent forum.

Cheers,

Paul
Two wheels good, 4 wheels bad
Tiggertoo

Re: certification query

Post by Tiggertoo »

Presumably the Parkinson people know about your ride, and if so do you know what - if anything - they will need to prove you did it? Does it matter? Anyone else who feels strongly enough in what you are doing will need no verification to donate.

Good luck, don't over think it, but do think about it. Riding LeJog is one of those iconic rides you will be glad you did it - and be glad when it is all over and you don't have to keep obsessing over it. :P
scoot

Post by scoot »

Hi Tiggertoo,

Thanks for the reply, we are on thier fb pages and they're doing updates during the ride, they don'twant anything from me apart from updates when I have time.
You are right, I am overthinking it in the name of helping them fundraise. But to be honest, I am totally ready and I do have a bit of time.
I've done all I can for the ride, just want to get started with my son😁
Time to relax .

Cheers

Paul
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

https://shop.cyclinguk.org/end-end-memorabilia

Cycling UK's End-to-End bundle seems to have a certificate. Need to upload a record sheet and supporting photos.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Discussion from 2010:

"End to End Certification...Waste of money?":
viewtopic.php?p=304130

Jonathan
scoot

Post by scoot »

Hi, thanks for the replies, I dud a search but didn't find the 2010 thread, it's quite Interesting.

I don't need a certificate or Indeed anything but memories for me but it may be good for the cgarity and those that have supported us.

I'll think about it, I only have 2 days before I leave so it won't get a lot of my time.

Thanks again

Paul