Waterproof foot wear?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
mattheus

Re: Waterproof foot wear?

Post by mattheus »

Do the (briefly very fashionable with runners) rubbery 5-toes things work in this scenario? They won't keep much rain out, but should protect against British perma-damp grass, and provide some warmth.
Maybe ... as I've never owned any :P

Certainly much lighter than many other solutions.

EDIT: just remembered, I think Vibram were the main people making them. A reputable company.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I found this

https://vibramfivefingers.uk.com/

I only knew them for Commando soles
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

thirdcrank wrote: 13 May 2022, 2:57pm I found this

https://vibramfivefingers.uk.com/

I only knew them for Commando soles
Fingers ... toes ... same difference.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

pjclinch wrote: 13 May 2022, 8:50am The bigger problem with wet feet is typically they get cold more easily, and if you're in waterproof socks where the outer has got saturated they will still leach heat a lot more than normal dry socks, because there's only a very thin layer between your feet and the heat-conducting water layer.

So while waterproof socks do work (I have some Sealskinz and some of their predecessors, Porelle Drys) do be aware that you can still have dry but uncomfortably cold feet.
I used early Sealskins for the bike. I do think my feet stayed warmer in them after hours of rain. I believe they were neoprene-based, so the idea is - like a wetsuit - to use a trapped wet layer as insulation. Works with several gloves I've had, and continue to use.
Feet still wrinkled, so they definitely weren't properly dry!

Have you tried that sort of sock?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I use Sealskinz socks. In general, my wet weather footwear combinations are (temperatures approximate):

below 5 degrees, Sealskinz socks + winter walking boots

5 -12 degrees, Sealskinz socks + walking boots

12 -17 degrees, Sealskinz socks + Teva sandals

over 17 degrees, Teva sandals

If it's warm enough for sandals, I can removed the socks during the ride, if needed. If camping, I usually have both sandals & boots with me.

Mini V tested the Sealskinz socks last year, wearing them with black dress shoes for marching band in *very* wet and somewhat chilly weather, and she was the only one to finish the day in comfortable, but tired feet. The rest of the band had cold, wet feet, and quite a few had blisters. One of the band parents bought out a couple of chemists' supplies of blister bandages & still ran out!

If I've got several days of wet weather, I will switch to wool socks & plastic bags, so my feet don't stay wet.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

mattheus wrote: 13 May 2022, 2:44pm Do the (briefly very fashionable with runners) rubbery 5-toes things work in this scenario? They won't keep much rain out, but should protect against British perma-damp grass, and provide some warmth.
Maybe ... as I've never owned any :P

Certainly much lighter than many other solutions.

EDIT: just remembered, I think Vibram were the main people making them. A reputable company.
Vibram Five Fingers. I did try on a pair, but found it a bit (actually a lot) of a faff getting my pinky toes in to the slots. And once on, my high arches meant I had to pull the cinching strap pretty tight to keep them in place which wasn't that comfy, so a No from me.

If you want something light and cheap to have warm but wet feet then wet suit booties may well be the thing, you'll find them at watersports supplies (sailing, surfing, paddling). I have some Teva ones I use for paddling that have a pretty decent sole.

There are wet suit socks that work quite well, though the issue is they tend to be quite thick so you need slightly oversized footwear for them not to be a squeeze. I used them caving, inside wellies, and paddling with sandals. Sandals are good for these as they're easy to "grow" by just opening up the straps.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
PH

Post by PH »

pjclinch wrote: 13 May 2022, 8:50am So while waterproof socks do work (I have some Sealskinz and some of their predecessors, Porelle Drys) do be aware that you can still have dry but uncomfortably cold feet.
Yes, you can't have everything.
These wool mix waterproof socks are warm and dry at the expense of comfort, they're a bit chunky and just not as nice to wear all day as the DexShell

https://showerspass.co.uk/products/cros ... crew-socks
freiston

Post by freiston »

Well there's mud and there's mud. I've been in some cattle fields on wet days where the approach to a gate seems nigh on impossible on foot irrespective of footwear.

When not with bike and expecting muddy fields/paths, I usually have walking boots and gaiters.

When on overnight bike trips, I tend to go in the warmer, drier weather and I rarely expect (or actually do) encounter anything heavy going. I use SPD shoes on the bike, crocs on the campsites and I'' wear either in the pub. At the "ends" of the campsite season, I have taken lightweight walking boots, wrapped in a rubble bag and strapped to the top of the rear rack (with the tent underneath them). A bit of a faff but can be a godsend. You could do the same with wellies.

I have some nice Lake SPD boots (MXZ200) that look like walking boots and are good for walking in too; I have often used these (with and without gaiters) when expecting mud on day (or night) rides but I've not yet used them as my sole pair (pun intended) on a multi-day trip though I am considering using them thus in the future if the weather doesn't threaten to be too warm.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Ron

Post by Ron »

Short yachting boots are available from "boaty" shops.
These are more flexible than ordinary wellies and are high enough to cover the usual ankle gap between waterproof trousers and footwear. Good for walking around camp sites on wet grass, and flooded toilet blocks too!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Ron wrote: 17 May 2022, 10:38am Short yachting boots are available from "boaty" shops.
These are more flexible than ordinary wellies and are high enough to cover the usual ankle gap between waterproof trousers and footwear. Good for walking around camp sites on wet grass, and flooded toilet blocks too!
Light?
I am here. Where are you?
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

pjclinch wrote: 14 May 2022, 7:24pm
mattheus wrote: 13 May 2022, 2:44pm Do the (briefly very fashionable with runners) rubbery 5-toes things work in this scenario? They won't keep much rain out, but should protect against British perma-damp grass, and provide some warmth.
Vibram Five Fingers. I did try on a pair, but found it a bit (actually a lot) of a faff getting my pinky toes in to the slots.
Deformed feet from too many years in pointy-toed shoes?

I found them no good for the wet, based on dewy grass on the campsite. They got wet quickly, and didn't dry out quickly either.

I use sandals and skin for wet weather, until it gets cold ( < 5°), after which it's Lake MXZ boots with an ankle seal over the top.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

andrew_s wrote: 17 May 2022, 5:14pm
pjclinch wrote: 14 May 2022, 7:24pm
Vibram Five Fingers. I did try on a pair, but found it a bit (actually a lot) of a faff getting my pinky toes in to the slots.
Deformed feet from too many years in pointy-toed shoes?
No, just natural variation between feet, I think. My pinkie toes wrap slightly under their neighbours so they don't easily separate in to distinct pockets like the 5-Fingers have. I have got some distinct toed kevlar soled waterproof socks I picked up for a song hoping they might do a similar barefoot job as very light camp wear, but though it's easier getting toes in than on the Vibrams it's still a faff and while not useless their sweet-spot is far too niche to recommend.
Hey ho...

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Ankle wellies are pretty light and pack down to the space of trainers. Years ago I found, in the Craghoppers section of Debenhams, some rubber over socks. Thick, but not as much as an inner tube bootees with an extra layer of latex on the sole. Used them as tent slippers for going out for a pee for years. Brilliant idea as you could wear warm wooly socks and they didn't hold the damp. Crocs or flip flops would give a better sole for hard wear. This sort of thing can be found on ebay or better Aliexpress.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Cowsham wrote: 17 May 2022, 11:10am
Light?[/quote]
Yes I would describe them as light.
They have a flexible sole and thinner more flexible uppers when compared with traditional wellies.
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

Nokian Bogtrotter Trimmi orienteering wellies. I cycled through eight winters with mine until they fell apart. Must get myself another pair.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132951995100
Agitate, educate, organise.