Waterproof foot wear?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Cowsham

Waterproof foot wear?

Post by Cowsham »

Anyone know of a lighter alternative to ordinary Wellies with regards to keeping feet dry ? -- used to bring my big heavy Wellies but have to save weight this year as I have more stuff than usual to carry.
I am here. Where are you?
simonineaston

Re: Waterproof foot wear?

Post by simonineaston »

What... when you're cycling?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

I have found that "Derri Boots" with over trousers are the only really waterproof combination.

But I never have been a dedicated follower of fashion.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

simonineaston wrote: 12 May 2022, 5:47pm What... when you're cycling?
No just mucking around at campsite / standing on a grass bank watching a motorcycle streak past at over 200MPH literally inches from your toes.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

jimlews wrote: 12 May 2022, 6:52pm I have found that "Derri Boots" with over trousers are the only really waterproof combination.

But I never have been a dedicated follower of fashion.
Have a set -- groovy lookin things :wink: yes but too heavy.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

a motorcycle streak past at over 200MPH literally inches from your toes.
Hmmm... I bought an pair of ex-contract steelies off of ebay the other day, now I'm doing wharehouse work - £12 ! They'd be pefect :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
PH

Post by PH »

Waterproof socks and Crocs, or imitations of, is my preferred footwear for wet campsites. I've tried a few waterproof socks, current favorites are from Dexshell and the only ones I've been happy to wear all day.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

simonineaston wrote: 12 May 2022, 7:48pm
a motorcycle streak past at over 200MPH literally inches from your toes.
Hmmm... I bought an pair of ex-contract steelies off of ebay the other day, now I'm doing wharehouse work - £12 ! They'd be pefect :wink:
You'd expect them to be supplied for that kind of work surely?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

PH wrote: 12 May 2022, 8:55pm Waterproof socks and Crocs, or imitations of, is my preferred footwear for wet campsites. I've tried a few waterproof socks, current favorites are from Dexshell and the only ones I've been happy to wear all day.
That might be the answer -- thanks I'll chase that up.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

In fairness, they are. But I wanted the spiffy expensive ones so I look cool... :lol:
ps I'm now on the hunt for the really cool ones with titanium toes!
S
PH

Post by PH »

simonineaston wrote: 12 May 2022, 10:40pm
In fairness, they are. But I wanted the spiffy expensive ones so I look cool... :lol:
The posh ones are composite, required wearing when I worked in an airport, otherwise you'd need to remove your shoes everythime you went through the security scanner.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

PH wrote: 12 May 2022, 11:02pm
simonineaston wrote: 12 May 2022, 10:40pm
The posh ones are composite, required wearing when I worked in an airport, otherwise you'd need to remove your shoes everythime you went through the security scanner.
Everyone here gets the composite ones supplied -- much lighter.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

PH wrote: 12 May 2022, 8:55pm Waterproof socks and Crocs, or imitations of, is my preferred footwear for wet campsites. I've tried a few waterproof socks, current favorites are from Dexshell and the only ones I've been happy to wear all day.
In summer I just go for sandals and let my feet get wet as they're waterproof and dry easily. The bigger problem with wet feet is typically they get cold more easily, and if you're in waterproof socks where the outer has got saturated they will still leach heat a lot more than normal dry socks, because there's only a very thin layer between your feet and the heat-conducting water layer.

So while waterproof socks do work (I have some Sealskinz and some of their predecessors, Porelle Drys) do be aware that you can still have dry but uncomfortably cold feet.

If the socks are potentially going to get soaked like that a light pair of mid-high boots works, but you need to stop water getting in through the tops (typically wicking down your socks) and that's why a mid-boot rather than a shoe, so you can cover the tops with gaiters and/or waterproof trousers.

If you get wet legs in long term rain you'll often get wet feet though, and that applies to waterproof socks in crocs too. I once saw someone pour a puddle out of a waterproof sock that was inside a 4 season waterproof boot that was covered in a Goretex Yeti gaiter... the owner had decided she would throw everything at dry feet, but she only looked at the problem below her knees, her trousers soaked up the rain which wicked down and via her hiking socks got in to the oversocks, neatly by-passing all the waterproof protection that subsequently kep the water in, rather than out!

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

In summer I just go for sandals and let my feet get wet as they're waterproof and dry easily.
tbh, that's what I do, too.
S
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

pjclinch wrote: 13 May 2022, 8:50am
In summer I just go for sandals and let my feet get wet as they're waterproof and dry easily. The bigger problem with wet feet is typically they get cold more easily, and if you're in waterproof socks where the outer has got saturated they will still leach heat a lot more than normal dry socks, because there's only a very thin layer between your feet and the heat-conducting water layer.

So while waterproof socks do work (I have some Sealskinz and some of their predecessors, Porelle Drys) do be aware that you can still have dry but uncomfortably cold feet.

If the socks are potentially going to get soaked like that a light pair of mid-high boots works, but you need to stop water getting in through the tops (typically wicking down your socks) and that's why a mid-boot rather than a shoe, so you can cover the tops with gaiters and/or waterproof trousers.

If you get wet legs in long term rain you'll often get wet feet though, and that applies to waterproof socks in crocs too. I once saw someone pour a puddle out of a waterproof sock that was inside a 4 season waterproof boot that was covered in a Goretex Yeti gaiter... the owner had decided she would throw everything at dry feet, but she only looked at the problem below her knees, her trousers soaked up the rain which wicked down and via her hiking socks got in to the oversocks, neatly by-passing all the waterproof protection that subsequently kep the water in, rather than out!

Pete.
Thanks Pete

Don't like cold feet so maybe ordinary socks will do but some nice light plastic / rubber boots would do. We'll have waterproof trousers with us we both have those.