Hotel in Penzance/Longrock

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Tiggertoo

Hotel in Penzance/Longrock

Post by Tiggertoo »

Someone earlier on suggested the Mountview Hotel in Longrock as a suitable setting-off point for a LeJog. Unfortunately that hotel is booked the end of August, does anyone have any recommendations as an alternative in that area?
I have decided to de-train at Penzance, spend a couple of days and start my LeJog from there. I've done Lands End before, and don't want to do that again.
Thanks.
Mr.Benton

Re: Hotel in Penzance/Longrock

Post by Mr.Benton »

I used the yha in Penzance last time I was down there. Single room, access to the self catering kitchen and they also do breakfast and evening meals.
Close enough to walk into the down if you want to visit the many pubs and restaurants in the evening.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Thanks, but following your suggestion I sadly found this response:

There is no availability for YHA Penzance on your selected dates.
Check In Aug 29, 2022
Check Out Aug 31, 2022
Guests 1 Guest

What's going on, why is there no room at any of the inns on these dates? Is it school holiday time?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Can't help specifically, but you don't need Penzance unless you have your second night booked somewhere else.

Penzance is only 10miles from LE, so you could chose Hayle or even Camborne and do a there-and-back day and stay a second night, before carrying on.

As for Penzance, we've stayed here a couple of nights when I was cycling in the Far West.
Lugger Inn.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.11452 ... 384!8i8192
Mick F. Cornwall
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Hi Mick,

I actually don't need to be in Penzance. My route from the station goes through Longrock and Marizon so I want to be close to any of those places so I can have my bike box collected by the tour company.

I'll check the Lugger Inn.

Thanks.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

There's a Premier Inn in an old warehouse right across the street from the railway station.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Checked that. No room there for the two nights I need. Thanks.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Mick F wrote: 12 May 2022, 8:31pm
As for Penzance, we've stayed here a couple of nights when I was cycling in the Far West.
Lugger Inn.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.11452 ... 384!8i8192
Mick, I've just booked two nights at the Lugger. Thanks for the suggestion. :D

Tigger
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Excellent! :D
Well done,
Very glad to be of service!
Mick F. Cornwall
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

School holidays finish on around 6 September so yes, still school hols. September quite a popular time still for holidays in Cornwall etc too even after schools return. Monday 29 August is also a bank holiday so that will be a big holiday week- be warned, Cornwall will be heaving.

I’ve never really understood why September is busier than say June which is a very special time to be in the southwest but that’s how it tends to go. Not that June is exactly quiet but it’s manageable and you get the amazing long evenings.
Last edited by MrsHJ on 15 May 2022, 8:55am, edited 2 times in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The problem with Cornwall, is that it's a long narrow bit of land, and gets narrower the further west you go.
The A30 gets clogged due to the all the tourists.

Another issue, is that they all flock to the coasts ........... narrow lanes, high Cornish hedges, people don't know how to reverse, caravans ................
Mick F. Cornwall
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Tourists are like a tidal wave that never stops coming. I used to bemoan that the town I live in has no attractions for tourists, now I'm pleased it hasn't.
I attended an outdoor travel meeting a while back and a couple of women were complaining that when they were in China recently and took photos of people sitting on their front porches they were met with abuse. I asked them if they were sitting on their own porches and tourists came along and took photos of them how would they react. The response was incredulity that I could compare the two.
The trouble with many tourists is that they expect every where they visit should be like Disney world with the locals planted for photo ops.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

We've stayed in Penzance a couple of times in the last year, simply because it's not a tourist hotspot :)

St Ives, even on the train, was purgatory...
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Bonefishblues wrote: 16 May 2022, 3:49pm We've stayed in Penzance a couple of times in the last year, simply because it's not a tourist hotspot :)

I was in Penzance last July - long story, but basically I visited LE and then caught the night train from PZ.

The town seemed a very odd place; large, and yet ... small-time feel. Quite a few of us were waiting for the train and could barely find anywhere to eat nearby. The station basically shut down ~5pm. On a Saturday, I think!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mattheus wrote: 16 May 2022, 4:27pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 16 May 2022, 3:49pm We've stayed in Penzance a couple of times in the last year, simply because it's not a tourist hotspot :)

I was in Penzance last July - long story, but basically I visited LE and then caught the night train from PZ.

The town seemed a very odd place; large, and yet ... small-time feel. Quite a few of us were waiting for the train and could barely find anywhere to eat nearby. The station basically shut down ~5pm. On a Saturday, I think!
It's quite diffuse, I think, without any great concentration of anything anywhere, but it is all there, if you see what I mean!

It has an 'edgy' side, but I really like it, and certainly over the tourist honeytraps. Mind you, I loved Plymouth too, and an ex resident said I was a little odd for enjoying it so much.