WI-FI EXTENDER SOCKET?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
531colin

WI-FI EXTENDER SOCKET?

Post by 531colin »

Anybody know anything about these wi-fi extender sockets? https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-13a-2-ga ... hite/988fv

I have a BT thing which you plug into a wall socket and connect a wire to the router, and another bit plugs into a wall socket in another room, to extend the wi-fi coverage, but coverage is still less than 100%....and, of course, you lose a wall socket every time.

A relative has several such things, but each has its own "network" so you have to make sure your phone is connected to the right one....I don't need that sort of complexity!

(I downloaded the instruction manual for the socket screwfix sell, it talks about 1 touch WPS setup, but that doesn't help me much.)

It looks to me like the Screwfix thing receives its signal wirelessly, and re-transmits it?

I think my existing thing uses the mains wiring to distribute signal, which might be more likely to get signal into every room.....there is rather a lot of masonry between the router and the main dead spot, and it would be tricky to move the router to a better position.
Jdsk

Re: WI-FI EXTENDER SOCKET?

Post by Jdsk »

531colin wrote: 13 May 2022, 3:17pmIt looks to me like the Screwfix thing receives its signal wirelessly, and re-transmits it?
Yes, it's a "wireless extender".

There's quite a large choice of technologies for extending coverage. You've mentioned most of them, but I'd add one more: running cables suitable for Ethernet to the problematic area and putting another wireless base station there. That's always likely to support higher speeds.

On the multiple wireless networks... it's usually possible to make this seamless to the wandering user, but again there are several different ways of doing it.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 13 May 2022, 3:32pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

531colin wrote: 13 May 2022, 3:17pmI think my existing thing uses the mains wiring to distribute signal, which might be more likely to get signal into every room.....there is rather a lot of masonry between the router and the main dead spot, and it would be tricky to move the router to a better position.
Is the dead area on the same consumer mains unit?

I've recently chosen TP-Link products for this type of solution.

Jonathan
531colin

Post by 531colin »

There is only one distribution board (fusebox, in old money) in the house, and I can actually set all the bits up on the same ring main; so i think thats what I will do, running cables with concrete floors and a working fireplace in the way is too exciting!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Can't comment on the Screwfix device, but we have a TP Link range extender.
Plug it in near your WiFi router and press a button. On your computer you put the WiFi password into a window that pops up, and Bingo.

Then, you unplug and plug it back in anywhere within range. Our WiFi router is in the back bedroom, and the range extender in in the front porch. This gives us WiFi all over the front garden.

This one is ours.
https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-network ... l-wa854re/
Got from Argos I think, but it was a few years ago.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

531colin wrote: 13 May 2022, 3:17pm I think my existing thing uses the mains wiring to distribute signal, which might be more likely to get signal into every room.....there is rather a lot of masonry between the router and the main dead spot, and it would be tricky to move the router to a better position.
531colin wrote: 14 May 2022, 8:15am There is only one distribution board (fusebox, in old money) in the house, and I can actually set all the bits up on the same ring main; so i think thats what I will do, running cables with concrete floors and a working fireplace in the way is too exciting!
As you already have some data over mains kit I'd consider buying a single new set to reach the dead spot and replace what you already have. It will usually work with two different sets over the same wiring but performance will be unpredictably impaired.

Does that look possible?

And I'd also recommend buying kit that has Ethernet sockets in addition to being a wireless base station. Then connecting anything possible with wires rather than using up the wireless capacity. Typically this will include TVs, audio systems, desktop computers and printers.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

531colin wrote: 13 May 2022, 3:17pm.and, of course, you lose a wall socket every time.
Some network devices have a pass-through mains socket so that you don't. But that isn't important enough to determine which you should buy. And it isn't always necessary to replace the wall box or add a socket board... there are replacement front plates with more sockets that might fit the existing wall boxes.

And of course front plates with USB sockets for charging devices are now common so if you are changing any that's worth considering.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Using mains Powerlink system to extend the cabled network through the mains can work but can also have some "weird" effects. With some Wi-Fi Access Points connected through Powerlink (over mains) they work fine for a few weeks then seem to stop passing some network traffic. I've had some that start refusing to pass broadcast network traffic after a time (days/weeks time). Power off and back on and it all goes happy again for a bit.

Ian
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Assuming that I understand the poblem correctly this might help.

Our router is in the back room downstairs and I needed decent WI-FI in the front bedroom.

I bought one of these things on a straight 50/50 basis. Either It worked and I kept it OR it didn't work and I get a refund. I've still got it as it works perfectly. We didn't lose a wall socket and there is an ethernet socket underneath the device if required.

I seem to remember that I set it up on an app'. Whatever, it must have been easy as I'm no hero with this stuff and I would have remembered if it was a pain.

Similar (ish) to Mick F's I think.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&th=1I
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I've got that one too. My router is in the lounge and the walls of my flat are solid brick so wifi coverage in the bedroom/kitchen was very poor till I got one of the above. Strangely my kitchen has a double socket 7 foot up on the wall so it is ideal for a wifi extender and an Alexa.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Jdsk wrote: 14 May 2022, 8:33am
As you already have some data over mains kit I'd consider buying a single new set to reach the dead spot and replace what you already have. It will usually work with two different sets over the same wiring but performance will be unpredictably impaired.
Jonathan
Thats how I had it figured.....now I have a thing thats wired to the modem, and one remote "repeater" thing......
I think for simplicity I'll just buy a whole new set; a "sender" wired to the modem and 2 "repeaters"....this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=broadband% ... bc_aui_C_2
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

531colin wrote: 15 May 2022, 6:39pm
Jdsk wrote: 14 May 2022, 8:33am As you already have some data over mains kit I'd consider buying a single new set to reach the dead spot and replace what you already have. It will usually work with two different sets over the same wiring but performance will be unpredictably impaired.
Thats how I had it figured.....now I have a thing thats wired to the modem, and one remote "repeater" thing......
I think for simplicity I'll just buy a whole new set; a "sender" wired to the modem and 2 "repeaters"....this?
Do you expect that one additional wireless base station will cover everywhere else needed?

And did you get the point upthread about the desirability of wired connections from the remote device as well as wireless? Does that matter for your uses?

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

With our device as linked and described above, you can have as many as you like.
One repeated after another after another and after another to extend all over your home no matter how big,

Keep them going all down the road from one house to another if you want. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 15 May 2022, 9:14pm With our device as linked and described above, you can have as many as you like.
One repeated after another after another and after another to extend all over your home no matter how big,

Keep them going all down the road from one house to another if you want.
And the maximum throughput and the latency will deteriorate with every step. They're quite easy to measure.

Jonathan