Cycling shoes for wide feet.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tiberius

Cycling shoes for wide feet.

Post by Tiberius »

OK. I have done a search and have read some old threads on this subject but shoe manufacturers have a nasty habit of discontinuing certain lines and so the previous info' becomes redundant.

Can anyone recommend a CURRENTLY AVAILABLE pair of cycling shoes for wide feet - SPD - No laces?

My shoe size is 43 and my current cycling shoes are Shimano XC30L (sized up to 44 as/usual with Shimano) and they have been brilliant. Unfortunately I can't find another pair of these so I tried what I thought was their nearest equivalent, Shimano X1 size 44 which were far too tight and nothing like the XC30Ls.

I live in 'The Sticks' so it's not that easy to just pop into a cycling shop and try lots of shoes on, though I do realise that that is ultimately what I may have to do.

I had my walking boots made to measure by Altberg. The guy there said that they had made my boots on the widest last that they have. Can you see my dilemma?

Recommendations....PLEASE?
VinceLedge

Re: Cycling shoes for wide feet.

Post by VinceLedge »

I have feet that are wide at the front. I have recently bought Shimano MT6 shoes that fit well and have Boa lacing. They are made on a 'volume tour last'
Also have a pair of Shimano MT3 shoes that have similar fit but they have laces.
I had a size bigger than my normal shoes.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Sidi make many of their shoes in the Mega (wider fitting). Search "Sidi Mega " and you will find stock in many places.
bluespeeder

Post by bluespeeder »

I have the same problem which causes mortons neuroma in my left foot if the shoes are too tight. The widest I found were Lake MX241 wide fit. Speak to Salt Dog Cycling, they are very helpful. Not the cheapest shoes but they should last many years hopefully.
I have used these year around for over a year now and find they are good in summer with lots of ventilation and warm in winter with overshoes (although finding overshoes to go over size 48 wide is tricky).
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Many thanks for the replies - Appreciated.

It's already clear that I'm going to have to 'adjust' my budget. Expensive things but so much cheaper abroad.
RichardSats72

Post by RichardSats72 »

I've always found Sidi shoes to be quite tight even the 'Mega' versions. For the past few years I've worn Northwave shoes which I find to be just the right width and very comfortable, and with the laceless (Boa) system they're easy to adjust. They're also a lot cheaper than other manufacturers. I did toy with the idea of trying Bont as they can be heated in the oven so they can be moulded to your feet – you could give those a try.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

RichardSats72 wrote: 16 May 2022, 10:00amthey can be heated in the oven so they can be moulded to your feet
That's interesting, I've never heard of that before.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

axel_knutt wrote: 16 May 2022, 12:07pm
RichardSats72 wrote: 16 May 2022, 10:00amthey can be heated in the oven so they can be moulded to your feet
That's interesting, I've never heard of that before.
Neither had I until I started researching Lake wide fitting cycling shoes. This is an official Lake video.

https://youtu.be/te71yEc9eR8

Official or not, I would be reluctant to bung a 425 quid (Lake CX403) pair of shoes into the oven... :mrgreen:
Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

Tiberius wrote: 16 May 2022, 1:11pm Official or not, I would be reluctant to bung a 425 quid (Lake CX403) pair of shoes into the oven... :mrgreen:
It's been a standard practice with ski boot liners for many years. Also using heat to change the outer boot shape.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

SIDI's used to be perfect for wide feet, but can't find them anymore.

Anyway, I have 4E feet and have bought a pair of Shimano RC5 Wide Large with one size larger - 11.2 (Eur 46) instead of 10 1/2.

I cut a hole on the side of my current Shimano R107's which helps a lot. :shock:
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Bsteel wrote: 16 May 2022, 3:11pm
Tiberius wrote: 16 May 2022, 1:11pm Official or not, I would be reluctant to bung a 425 quid (Lake CX403) pair of shoes into the oven... :mrgreen:
It's been a standard practice with ski boot liners for many years. Also using heat to change the outer boot shape.
I Googled that and watched a YT video - Rice in socks/micro-wave/etc. Interesting stuff.

Amazing what you learn when you're simply looking for a pair of shoes to fit your 'plates'....Innit ??
Janwal

Post by Janwal »

https://www.luck-bike.es/gb/49-mtb-cycling-shoes
Have a look at this Spanish site. They make some shoes to your measurements. Could be worth an email.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Janwal wrote: 16 May 2022, 7:54pm https://www.luck-bike.es/gb/49-mtb-cycling-shoes
Have a look at this Spanish site. They make some shoes to your measurements. Could be worth an email.
Many thanks for that.
sukuinage

Post by sukuinage »

I use Sidi Mega sized up from my usual size 45 to 46.5. Coincidentally I also have a pair of Altberg Mallerstang boots in the widest XW fitting in UK size 10.5. I was told by somebody that the Sidi half sizes are a slightly wider version of the full size but don't know how true that is.
Tricky thing ordering shoes online so I hope that my sizing comparison will help you.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

sukuinage wrote: 17 May 2022, 1:58pm I use Sidi Mega sized up from my usual size 45 to 46.5. Coincidentally I also have a pair of Altberg Mallerstang boots in the widest XW fitting in UK size 10.5. I was told by somebody that the Sidi half sizes are a slightly wider version of the full size but don't know how true that is.
Tricky thing ordering shoes online so I hope that my sizing comparison will help you.
Very helpful. Thank you for the reply.

Just checked and my Alberg (North Fell Micro-Light) boots are XW like yours so we are in the same ball park.
Funny how I can buy off the peg Grisport Dartmoor walking shoes, size 43 (9 UK) and they fit perfectly.

I think I'm about to go for a pair of Sidi Trace 2 Mega from Chain Reaction, they have a size 44 (size up) in stock ATM. I have a motorcycling background so I'm very aware of Sidi's fine reputation. i've looked at other makes but so many outlets only have two or three sizes, so much is out of stock.

The big issue now is can my Yorkshire fingers release 200 quid for a pair of shoes ???!!!!..... :shock: