Cycling shoes for wide feet.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jupestar

Re: Cycling shoes for wide feet.

Post by Jupestar »

I have wide feet and I use Lake MX145 in winter and CX236C in the summer.

Both are really comfortable. But use different pedals so I have to swap those as well.

I’ve always struggled with sports shoes. Someone told be that womens shoes come up wider (like for like). How true that is I don’t know, but a brought a pair of womens tennis shoes in size 12 (not surprisingly they were cheap)…. And they are really good and comfortable.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I'm slao on a search for wide SPD (2-bolt shoes) and still buying and returning different pairs.

But links I have found that might provide some suggestions (which as yet I don't have experience of suggested pairs)

https://road.cc/content/feature/where-c ... oes-223770

https://biketestreviews.com/cycling-sho ... wide-feet/

Unfortunately some of the suggested pairs I've found are not available in the UK market (not enough demand?) e.g. Giro's HV (High Volume) shoes e.g. https://www.giro.com/p/cylinder-hv-moun ... 00069.html.
https://road.cc/content/feature/where-can-i-find-wide-cycling-shoes-223770 wrote:Specialized
Specialized only carries its standard width shoes in the UK. It’s worth noting, though, that the toe box volume is pretty generous.
Sidi seem to do "Mega" variants of some of their styles that are said to be wider. e.g. https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Sidi/E ... Shoes/W866.

However, some review I read distinguished between wide and high volume - which are not necessarily the same and difference may be important for some.

I have recently purchased some stuff (not shoes) from Amazon US and that worked well but I ordered stuff I was sure would not need to be returned which could be expensive/grief.

Ian
drossall

Post by drossall »

Some of these custom shoes seem to be made to fit. Of course the classic option is Reynolds.

At least there's a chance of getting shoes made to fit. Unlike me with with h*******. So I sympathise! I first came across your version of the issue as a student, decades ago. Someone from another university apparently rode (on rubber pedals), and did everything else including hill-walking, in bare feet.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

One of the articles I've seen suggested that Bontrager Foray shoes have a large toe box
[quote]https://road.cc/content/review/bontrager-foray-shoes-276023[/quote] wrote:Bontrager Foray Shoes
The toebox is roomy and quite broad
I would disagree (now I have a pair in the kitchen packaged-up ready for return for refund. They do come up smaller than my Giro Gauge but also narrower. Allow for a size up to match he Giro size and they'd be pretty much the same width and toe-box volume wise.

Ian
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Once again 'Thank You' for all the replies and links......just waiting for my old Shimanos to drop off my feet before I prise open my wallet.... :shock:
in4time

Post by in4time »

Still looking for a decent pair of ‘flats’ and find sizing a complete circus. Usually I wear 10.5 but eg 5ten’s size 12 don’t even come close. I’m going to get a pair of robust trainers with stiff soles instead.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

I've only noticed Sidi Mega being 'higher volume' and not wider.
I should coco.
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

Lake MX177 wide?
They're the ones that sprung to mind for wide fittings.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Lake/M ... lsrc=aw.ds
Bikermouse

Post by Bikermouse »

I have flippers with webbed toes instead of feet and there huge.
Gaerne shoes fit me and in size 48 there very wide. Triple velcro straps also allows the extra adjustment.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Having had some problem with toe knuckle injury from SPD footwear (separate thread) at the suggestion of another forum member I've tried a pair of the Shimano SD-5 sandals. Maybe not the most stylish of footwear but they are velcro strapped. The soles are fairly wide but you can set the front strap very loose as well so in effect they can accommodate wider feet than most other SPD shoes I've tried.

I got them online on the basis I could always send them back (unused) if I didn't like them but they are fine so I've done a few rides. In my own case I'm still getting the toe knuckle hot spots (though not the damage) which suggests that tight footwear is only part of my problem.

Reviews say how they are not just "summer wear" but are fine in cold & wet winter as well as you just wear thick socks, waterproof socks or even overshoes. Also pointed out in reviews is that feet get wet inside cycling shoes in the wet as they do with sandals but in sandals they dry a lot quicker.

But they can provide a low cost readily available solution for wider feet.

nb. if trying a pair note that Shimano sizing is "different". I'm normally a size 43 but needed size 44 in the SD-5 sandals (as I didn't want my exposed toes overhanging the front and I'd rather the sole hit hard stuff rather than my toes.

Edit: An article reviewing several different SPD sandals but I've no idea if they are all available https://wheelprint.net/material-gear/cl ... g-sandals/. I have seen one model of Exustar sandals advertised online from a UK supplier (even cheaper than the Shimano ones) but I'd got the Shimano ones by then and was happy with them.

Ian
pq

Post by pq »

I was getting quite a lot of foot pain, so went for a proper shoe fitting. To my surprise I was told I have wide feet - as a child they were narrow so I had assumed they had stayed that way. The fitter recommended Lake shoes which I've worn ever since, and I have had no more foot pain. Lake often get recommended for wide feet, but there may be others. Mine have a kind of thin plastic cord with a ratchet to tighten them up which works very well.
One link to your website is enough. G
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Beware of the manufacturer's description without proper size data . I've just returned a pair of SIDI MTB Trace 2 "MEGA WIDE" fit. They were wider than my current Shimano shoes but the curved shoe sole and uppers meant that all the extra width was space between the big toe knuckle and that side of the shoe. On the other side, my toes were still scrunched up! No amount of me foot wiggling could remedy this. The main upper seemed to not let the front of my foot move to the side I wanted it to.

Also the opening for foot entry was IMO exceptionally small. I needed to open the lace clip fully and even then could only get in with the aid of a shoe horn. Once in, the tongue and front of the opening was pressing very hard into the front of the end of my leg.

Does anyone know of a shop with a big range of cycling shoes where one could try them out for fit?
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

fausto99 wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 12:54pm Beware of the manufacturer's description without proper size data . I've just returned a pair of SIDI MTB Trace 2 "MEGA WIDE" fit. They were wider than my current Shimano shoes but the curved shoe sole and uppers meant that all the extra width was space between the big toe knuckle and that side of the shoe. On the other side, my toes were still scrunched up! No amount of me foot wiggling could remedy this. The main upper seemed to not let the front of my foot move to the side I wanted it to.

Also the opening for foot entry was IMO exceptionally small. I needed to open the lace clip fully and even then could only get in with the aid of a shoe horn. Once in, the tongue and front of the opening was pressing very hard into the front of the end of my leg.

Does anyone know of a shop with a big range of cycling shoes where one could try them out for fit?
Just in case somebody does a search 'shoes for wide feet' and ends up here, as the OP of this thread I thought that I would pop back and report on what I eventually bought. I have only just seen the reply above which gave me a wry smile.

I eventually tracked down and bought the Sidi Trace 2 MEGA shoes that our friend above bought. I sized up one size and the shoes fit perfectly which shows just how fickle shoes/feet/like/dislike can be. I'm so pleased with the fit that I've just ordered a second pair exactly the same, which at my age, might just see me out.

I bought them from 'Bikester' which I believe is in Germany. The shoes were just under £100 cheaper than 'Chain Reaction' They arrived in less than a week (pre-paid return label in the box) via DPD tracked delivery - no issues with customs/taxes/whatever. There are a number of UK suppliers other than Chain Reaction but getting a size 44 was a pig of a job. Bikester had size 44 in stock with a near £100 saving (at the time). No brainer.

Thank you to everyone who offered advice. I got there in the end.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Lake and Shimano both use a number of differently shaped/sized lasts, so if considering either of those brands it is necessary to distinguish between models based on different lasts.

https://www.lakecycling.com/pages/sizing-chart

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/technolo ... ology.html
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

Yes Shimano do a wide fitting for many of their shoes. The problem is finding anybody that sells them.
I eventually tracked a pair of RC3 in 45E size earlier this year.
I'm now trying to find someone who has the XC502 in 45E size.