Post ride sensible sustenance

carlislemike

Post ride sensible sustenance

Post by carlislemike »

Not my usual post ride feed drink but had 2 raw eggs in about a third of a pint of semi skimmed milk as my protein powder was missing! Is it sensible to drink something which 50+ years ago, I took as a post hangover drink? At 74 I’m less concerned about that previous usage🤨 but more about cholesterol etc.?
ANTONISH

Re: Post ride sensible sustenance

Post by ANTONISH »

I read in "Cycling" (some years before the mopeds insult) about the first chap to break "evens" (20 mph) for fifty miles.
His meal before the event was two raw eggs in a glass of stout.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Eggs are good recovery food and milk isn't half bad either. Personally i prefer that combo cooked but whatever grabs you.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

carlislemike wrote: 14 May 2022, 11:42am Not my usual post ride feed drink but had 2 raw eggs in about a third of a pint of semi skimmed milk as my protein powder was missing!
Do you have a particular reason for choosing to consume that much protein and fat after riding?

And why do you eat "protein powder"?

Thanks

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

ANTONISH wrote: 14 May 2022, 6:02pm I read in "Cycling" (some years before the mopeds insult) about the first chap to break "evens" (20 mph) for fifty miles.
His meal before the event was two raw eggs in a glass of stout.
I started reading the comic in 1958 when it was already Cycling and Mopeds I see mopeds had been added in 1957. Those were the days when people were told that "Guinness is good for you" and to "Go to work on an egg."
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

Jdsk wrote: 14 May 2022, 7:17pm
carlislemike wrote: 14 May 2022, 11:42am Not my usual post ride feed drink but had 2 raw eggs in about a third of a pint of semi skimmed milk as my protein powder was missing!
Do you have a particular reason for choosing to consume that much protein and fat after riding?

Thanks

Jonathan
Jonathan, I have a highly motivated, sports mad daughter who lifts weights I couldn’t think about, runs 10k as daily exercise and is a keen cyclist. She got me into drinking a milk and protein drink post exercise as a way to aid recovery. Eating it seems as disgusting as trying to eat flour🧐
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

carlislemike wrote: 16 May 2022, 5:32am
Jdsk wrote: 14 May 2022, 7:17pm

...I have a highly motivated, sports mad daughter who lifts weights I couldn’t think about, runs 10k as daily exercise and is a keen cyclist. She got me into drinking a milk and protein drink post exercise as a way to aid recovery. Eating it seems as disgusting as trying to eat flour
Thanks.

The evidence on recovery isn't simple. AIUI you have to be at quite high levels of exertion before there is anything to support consuming anything special rather than ordinary food, and it also varies with age and type of exercise, and there are no consistently used tests for "recovery".

I wouldn't eat anything that isn't enjoyable.

Jonathan
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Jdsk wrote: 16 May 2022, 9:23am I wouldn't eat anything that isn't enjoyable.
With a caveat of unless I had to*, this.

I think in simple terms that to recover you'll need to replace what you used up. I'm not a dietician or fitness guru, but I don't really see that as being protein for most of the people, most of the time. I'd imagine more it'll be your glycogen stores, water and salts that need going back. For the water and salts you can, I think, trust your body to tell you it needs those with thirst and a desire for salty foods, and there's usually plenty of carbs in typical UK go-to foods to deal with the carbs aspect.

My brother is a retired health and fitness lecturer now in his 60s who does triathlons up to and including ironman distances. I'm fairly sure he doesn't do "protein powder", and does do stuff he actually likes eating.

Pete

* unpleasant memories of eating a bowl of museli with not enough milk powder and not enough water before the second day of a mountain marathon, hating every mouthful but knowing I would need absolutely every calorie that I could get over the next several hours. Ugh.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

pjclinch wrote: 16 May 2022, 4:23pm ...

I think in simple terms that to recover you'll need to replace what you used up. I'm not a dietician or fitness guru, but I don't really see that as being protein for most of the people, most of the time. I'd imagine more it'll be your glycogen stores, water and salts that need going back. For the water and salts you can, I think, trust your body to tell you it needs those with thirst and a desire for salty foods, and there's usually plenty of carbs in typical UK go-to foods to deal with the carbs aspect.
Your body can replenish the glycogen supply from fats quite happily (nobody needs to consume carbs). The protein won't do any harm - high intensity exercise can break it down faster than "normal life", so why not consume some extra? And there's water in milk!

Normal food is good - but good is not the same as optimal. And optimal changes according to your activity, and from person-to-person. Sometimes it's easier to get to optimal with supplements than mucking about finding the perfect "normal" food from your cupboard.

(n.b. I do generally live on normal, enjoyable food!)
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

That's all true, but given the lack of hard knowledge Jonathan points out doesn't strike me as a great basis to eat something that requires me to hold my nose to get it down!

Pete.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

mattheus wrote: 16 May 2022, 4:33pm
The protein won't do any harm -
Have to admit I'd naively assumed for 20 years that missing amino acids in "incomplete" proteins (I.e. lentils, beans etc), would be balanced out via the full range in complete meat / fish / dairy protein s. Packing the proteins in via dairy products for "cheapness/ease of preparation" in the last ten months has proved it's not the case - muscle development via the complete proteins in dairy products has been notably quicker
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

gbnz wrote: 16 May 2022, 9:56pm
mattheus wrote: 16 May 2022, 4:33pm The protein won't do any harm -
Have to admit I'd naively assumed for 20 years that missing amino acids in "incomplete" proteins (I.e. lentils, beans etc), would be balanced out via the full range in complete meat / fish / dairy protein s. Packing the proteins in via dairy products for "cheapness/ease of preparation" in the last ten months has proved it's not the case - muscle development via the complete proteins in dairy products has been notably quicker
The key concept is whether proteins have enough of the essential amino acids, the ones that we can't make ourselves.

I don't know what "balancing out" would mean.

Jonathan
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Jdsk wrote: 16 May 2022, 10:04pm
mattheus wrote: 16 May 2022, 4:33pm The protein won't do any harm -
The key concept is whether proteins have enough of the essential amino acids, the ones that we can't make ourselves.

I don't know what "balancing out" would mean.

Jonathan
"Balancing out?" Well if you're consuming 1.8g protein per kg of body weight, with a 144g protein intake daily, "balancing out" refers to obtaining perhaps 100g from complete proteins, with the remaining 44g protein originating from incomplete proteins in lentils/beans/flours etc. On the basis that the missing amino acids from that 44g component, will be compensated for (Balanced) via excess missing amino acids originating from complete proteins.

But after 20 yr's presuming the above, obtaining my protein intake purely from complete proteins over the past ten months, has proved the value of taking proteins purely from complete proteins. The speed and size of muscle development when obtaining proteins purely from complete proteins, has notably exceeded the speed of muscle development when presuming the above. It's easy enough to identify muscle development in a gym type environment
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I would suggest that "muscle development" and "recovery" aren't entirely the same thing. Also, if you do want to build muscle then gym work looks to be a more effective exercise component than cycling.

Pete.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

pjclinch wrote: 17 May 2022, 6:02am

I would suggest that "muscle development" and "recovery" aren't entirely the same thing. Also, if you do want to build muscle then gym work looks to be a more effective exercise component than cycling.

Pete.
Well yes, I've used a gym 4-6 times a week for the past 31 years. Can't say I've any need to build muscle, though recovering from 4 weeks in a NHS hospital last year, when blocked from sleep, protein, fruit, vegetables, exercise and a healthy lifestyle, action had to be taken