Good Bike repair guide

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
briansnail

Good Bike repair guide

Post by briansnail »

I am clueless on bike maintenance. I was looking at buying Doris Kindersley's Book on bike maintenance. This struck me as fairly simple Can anyone recommend anything better? Thanks in advance for any replies.
rjb

Re: Good Bike repair guide

Post by rjb »

You could check your local library and see what they have before deciding on a purchase. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Dorling Kindersley is a publisher, it appears they publish several bike maintenance books by different authors.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Go look up the videos on the Park Tools website.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

freeflow wrote: 14 May 2022, 5:46pm Go look up the videos on the Park Tools website.
I'd also recommend Park Tool Repair Help:
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

and

Sheldon Brown:
https://sheldonbrown.com

I don't recommend beginners to to use YouTube videos unless they're sure that the components in the video match what they have in front of them.

Jonathan
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Thanks .I will also look at the Haynes manual.Sheldon Brown is a genius and is like a University prof.I had a old Raleigh with hub gears that would not shift.Sheldon Brown has a lot on his website.i had it for 20 years but need room for my other bikes.So i took it to the charity shop yesterday.I suspect it would be easy to dismantle but impossible to put back together.My bike shop was not to keen either.
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

There’s some wisdom in matching the age of the book/website to the bike you’re working on. I learnt using a paperback ‘Richard’s Bicycle Book’ which is good for bikes dating from the ‘70s, ‘80s and perhaps ‘90s for some of the later editions. Sheldon Brown was great for era of integrated gear/brakes (‘STI’) but when I needed to know about Di2 recently it was Park Tools that I went to.
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

Shimano's technical documents and professional workshop guides can be very useful and exhaustive so helps prevent you forgetting something important. I looked at their fitting derailleur professional guide recently and was very impressed.

https://si.shimano.com/#/
freiston

Post by freiston »

As well as the advice given above (I am particularly fond of Park Tools videos and the Sheldon Brown website), don't forget to search the posts of this excellent forum. There's some good stuff in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=64417

The trouble with books is that they can't cover all the peculiarities of all the different makes and models of components, and once they're printed, they're not updated. They might give a decent grounding in the generic basics but a couple of videos often make things much more understandable. If you want a book for your bookshelf, then the "Zinn" books are decent but I reckon that once you get in the habit of DIY mechanics, the book will hardly be used.

As always when looking for guidance online, use your discretion and unless you have good reason not to, get info from more than one source.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Lookrider

Post by Lookrider »

Bonzo has sound advice there for the home/beginner mechanic
I got a used zinn book off Amazon around £3
It is good but just a generalisation
Park videos are great but I keep pausing and stopping
The shimano helping is great as it only applies to uour exact component ...that goes for any other manufacture as they have online advice just for that
I'm not computer savvy and it takes me a while to pin piont the exact page I'm after in shimano docs
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Lookrider wrote: 16 May 2022, 12:23pmThe shimano helping is great as it only applies to uour exact component ...that goes for any other manufacture as they have online advice just for that
I'm not computer savvy and it takes me a while to pin piont the exact page I'm after in shimano docs
Yes. The documents for Shimano components are excellent but you have to know the ground rules, including the split between instructions "for dealers" and instructions "for users" and "Technical Service Instructions" and parts diagrams.

I'd look on them as being in addition to the sort of advice that I get from Sheldon Brown or Park Tool.

That point about needing to find the precise component is why I don't recommend YouTube videos from unknown sources: if they don't match what you have and you don't know the general principles they could cause problems.

Jonathan