Campsite reception closed.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Saltysailor998

Campsite reception closed.

Post by Saltysailor998 »

Hi, I've tried to find a similar topic but to no avail, I assume my predicament is fairly common.

I've been touring in France for a few days and am new to this. Today I turned up at the campsite and the reception is closed, noone is answering the phone and no notice of opening hours, when they'd be back etc.

Is the correct etiquette to pitch up and pay in the morning or to leave a find somewhere else (there isn't anywhere else in the nearby area).
horizon

Re: Campsite reception closed.

Post by horizon »

Yes, just pitch up and pay the next day. The good thing about cycle touring is that you can usually get round the barrier. The bad thing is that you will inevitably arrive late (I always do).

Of course, if you are also up very early then ... :wink:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Agree with the other poster. Pitch up and pay later. Often someone will pop round in the evening to collect the money.

Hopefully this doesn’t happen at a site that only gives hot water on production of a charge card loaded at reception, otherwise it’s a cold shower :o
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I'm assuming that the campsites are open and other campers are there.

If not......hmmm.
ossie

Post by ossie »

I've had a couple of occasions when they returned and got a bit funny where I pitched but looking at the timing of the post I'd say no issues at all ie late evening. I've done several municipals when no one ever appeared, even in the morning so I've stuffed notes under the reception door ..some places do small envelopes.

I've also come across closed sites and just snuck into a corner. No one cares.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Reminds me of father's telegram in The Swallows And Amazons - "better drowned than duffers. if not duffers won't drown"
Or to put it another way, "pay when asked, if closed won't be asked".
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Pitch and see what happens. If you look around there is often a note somewhere or other (entrance or by reception) telling you what to do if closed but I wouldn’t worry- it’s often the case that they are only there for a few hours a day so they won’t check everyone in. If it’s closed I’d still camp there but there may be no hot water (hopefully the loos are open though).
slowster

Post by slowster »

Just choose a pitch and set up your tent. Even better if you can position your tent so that it takes up two pitches or obstructs access to part of the site. That should encourage the owner/manager to come to you, rather than you have to waste your time looking for him. Ignore whatever he says when you see him. This will be easy because he will probably speak French.

It's vital that at this point you establish who is the boss in the relationship. Make it clear that you are the customer, and that he needs to pull his socks up and start earning his pay instead of idling about like all the other johnny foreigners. Give him a list of things you want done pronto. If there is nothing that you actually need him to do, make up some tasks for him to do anyway. Foreigners respect authority and are much happier when doing what they are told.

Do not be polite or nice under any circumstances - it only confuses them. And remember that all communication must be in English. A lot of foreigners try and pull the old trick of pretending they don't understand English. Do not fall for it! Just keep repeating yourself in English in a louder voice, and eventually they will get the message.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Just a passing thought that the campsite may not yet be open for the season. Many campsites in France open surprisingly late. There can be lots of caravans (and their awnings) on the site but they are there permanently. Unless there are other people about, it could be closed.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

slowster wrote: 14 May 2022, 10:29pm Just choose a pitch and set up your tent. Even better if you can position your [...................] English in a louder voice, and eventually they will get the message.
and obviously upon departure leave a withering review on some website. If you can work "Shocked and Appalled" into the review all the better.
scottg

Post by scottg »

slowster wrote: 14 May 2022, 10:29pm[snip]
It's vital that at this point you establish who is the boss in the relationship. Make it clear that you are the customer, and that he needs to pull his socks up and start earning his pay instead of idling about like all the other johnny foreigners.[snip]
Sadly the British Legation no longer has a company Gurkhas to retrieve cyclists when they try the above approach.
I suggest you confine your touring to occupied Wales, where there are still Marcher forts with Housecarles available.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

slowster wrote: 14 May 2022, 10:29pm
Foreigners respect authority and are much happier when doing what they are told.

Do not be polite or nice under any circumstances - it only confuses them. And remember that all communication must be in English. A lot of foreigners try and pull the old trick of pretending they don't understand English. Do not fall for it! Just keep repeating yourself in English in a louder voice, and eventually they will get the message.
You have forgotten to mention the essential which is to shout loud dismissively at the cretinous foreigner and with much finger gesticulating - preferably in the two finger position.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

slowster wrote: 14 May 2022, 10:29pm Just choose a pitch and set up your tent. Even better if you can position your tent so that it takes up two pitches or obstructs access to part of the site. That should encourage the owner/manager to come to you, rather than you have to waste your time looking for him. Ignore whatever he says when you see him. This will be easy because he will probably speak French.

It's vital that at this point you establish who is the boss in the relationship. Make it clear that you are the customer, and that he needs to pull his socks up and start earning his pay instead of idling about like all the other johnny foreigners. Give him a list of things you want done pronto. If there is nothing that you actually need him to do, make up some tasks for him to do anyway. Foreigners respect authority and are much happier when doing what they are told.

I'm lacking experience in camping en France, so this looks a very useful guide. Thanks!
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Standard practice especially at municipal sites and particularly ones in small towns/villages. Somebody will come along in the evening to open up and may walk around to collect money. I have done this many many times.

This can sometimes be quite late. I recall 10pm I heard two people walking around collecting the fees, but I was in bed so ignored them. I heard them grumble about people pretending to be asleep and so avoid paying. I was avoiding nothing, so put a note and money through the letterbox in the morning.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Reminds me of the time I was following the signs to a French campsite and eventually realised I had passed it, so followed the signs in from the opposite direction to discover the campsite was closed and signs on the site had been taken down. Only the road signs had been left up over the winter.
It appeared to be normal in northern France for tourist/outdoor facilities to open for summer on 1st of July.