Is Contra-Flow Cycle lane Bi-Directional in UK?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
DaveReading

Re: Is Contra-Flow Cycle lane Bi-Directional in UK?

Post by DaveReading »

thirdcrank wrote: 18 May 2022, 7:53am
DaveReading wrote: 18 May 2022, 7:48am
Bmblbzzz wrote: 17 May 2022, 11:29amThere will be (or should be – but the wrong way round sign on the left of the photo doesn't inspire total confidence) another no entry sign off the right of the photo.
There is indeed one, in this instance.
Can you link to streetview?
O ye of little faith. :shock:

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5438994 ... 384!8i8192
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Thanks for that, but I wasn't doubting for a moment what you said. I just wanted to see what the signs were at the other end. While the layout there is complicated to say the least, the first relevant sign seems to be here

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5437242 ... 384!8i8192

ie Road users at the start of a contraflow cycle lane in in a one-way street see only the one-way street sign. ie no warning of the contraflow. I think this supports my theory higher up that the sign we've been discussing - one-way street with cycle contraflow lane - should be at the other end of the street.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

DaveReading wrote: 18 May 2022, 7:58am
thirdcrank wrote: 18 May 2022, 7:53am
DaveReading wrote: 18 May 2022, 7:48am There is indeed one, in this instance.
Can you link to streetview?
O ye of little faith.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5438994 ... 384!8i8192
Thankyou very much.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Screenshot 2022-05-18 at 09.08.31.png

Now that we have that view... please could the experts comment on the signs... appropriateness, usefulness, lawfulness...

And, if possible, including a bit more explanation and background as I don't understand some of the brief comments upthread.

Thanks

Jonathan
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Jdsk wrote: 18 May 2022, 9:12am
And, if possible, including a bit more explanation and background as I don't understand some of the brief comments upthread.

Thanks

Jonathan
What don't you understand about it? (genuine question, that's not meant to be sarcastic!)
I think @thirdcrank has explained it quite well.

As with a lot of cycle provision in the UK, it could probably be clearer / better done but the basics are all there. I'm not a fan of the way it puts cyclists into the door zone of the parked cars but I can see what's been done - they've basically tried to cater for all road users without disadvantaging anyone, the reality being that it doesn't work that well for anyone!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think there's a difference between the suitability of cycling provision and the appropriate signs in a given location.

I used to include the diagram number in my rambling posts about signs with images as well, but my motivation is waning.

If I've posted anything that's not clear, I'm always prepared to try again
=================================
Re that streetview, the only thing that's really wrong AFAIK, is that the blue sign on the left is inappropriate in that location. It means there's a one way street with cycle contraflow lane in the direction in which it's being viewed. ie the situation at the other end of the street.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

thirdcrank wrote: 18 May 2022, 11:15amRe that streetview, the only thing that's really wrong AFAIK, is that the blue sign on the left is inappropriate in that location. It means there's a one way street with cycle contraflow lane in the direction in which it's being viewed. ie the situation at the other end of the street.
And at that end, as far as I can judge, there is no sign at all. Go figure.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This is my edited screenshot of the other end of the street. My yellow scrawls highlight two one-way street signs - with nothing other than the road markings to alert users to the contraflow cycle lane.
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
I can't see anything signing the two-way cycle track to the left of the traffic lights

Note the vulnerable road user in the care of an only slightly less vulnerable user.
===========================================================

PS Here's another streetview towards the other end of the street, showing nothing but white lines to alert riders to the abrupt end of their contraflow lane, or rather the break in the farcility which resumes on the other side of the road, bearing in mind that - as noted - there are no signs alerting drivers to any contraflow cycling.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.543671, ... 384!8i8192