St Ives Busway to river Cam

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
paul_n

St Ives Busway to river Cam

Post by paul_n »

Hi all

What is the quickest route from the end of the Busway [ St Ives to Cambridge ] to get to the river Cam ?

In the past I have gone through the Milton Country park to get to the river , however it is a few miles in the wrong direction really.

regards Paul
dodalexander

Re: St Ives Busway to river Cam

Post by dodalexander »

If you follow the busway to Cambridge North rail station, there is a signposted trail along Moss Bank and then a path off Fen Road which takes you to the river, just upstream of the new Chisholm Trail bridge.

The turn for the path is a bit tricky to spot - it looks like a narrow alley between two wooden fences. Google maps shows it with a dotted green line.
paul_n

Post by paul_n »

hi there

Thanks for that just what I am looking for.

Do you think there is any bicycling infrastructure stopping getting down the narrow path on something like this ?

My friends is the otherway around 2 wheels at the front with a poor turning circle and front wheels approx 30" apart.

regards Paul
mjr

Post by mjr »

There is a single bollard to block cars, if I remember correctly from my visit earlier this month. I think you'll be fine but if not, continuing forwards to where the river meets the road is not too far. 350m according to maps.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

There are two bollards on the cut-through between Fen Rd and the towpath, but the narrowest gap between the “ears” at the top is 130cm so you should be fine.

656CAD72-6F37-4824-877A-B8CEC3B8C1A4.jpeg