France (Has Gone So Expensive)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mattheus

Re: France (Has Gone So Expensive)

Post by mattheus »

leftpoole wrote: 18 May 2022, 9:57am https://bikersarewelcome.com/search-res ... rt=&guest=

The link above is actually advertised for motorcyclists. But obviously a bike is a bike?
Well, err ... that might depend who you ask!

(and consider whether accommodation aimed at cyclists would be certain to welcome all "bikers" ... )
jacobean

Post by jacobean »

simonhill wrote: 18 May 2022, 8:06am It's sometimes worth going to the local tourist office in a French town.

I couldn't find any accommodation in a medium sized town on a Wednesday in June. Couldn't understand it. Went to tourist office and they said it was due to Le Mans 24 HR even though that was over 50 Kms away. So I was stuffed.

They got out their list and started to ring around. Eventually got me a room in a house 2km out of town. Phew!

Tourist offices often have accommodation lists so worth a look. You can sometimes find local lists via the web, but ringing round is a pain, so full marks to that tourist office.
Yeah, if the internet shows everything is full, the tourist office should be your first port of call.

Happened me once in Spain. There was some festival on. Everyplace booked solid. Luckily there was a tourist office in the town. It was just about to close. The helpful lady behind the desk had her list. She phoned a local who had an empty apartment for rent nearby. Super modern and much cheaper than a hotel. Ended up staying 2 nights. Sometimes, the internet does not have all the solutions.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I’m looking at my next trip. After a lot of dithering I’m leaning towards the Deux mers route for September and I just want to play back your comments- it does look pricier than usual and not as good availability plus as an initial glance it looks more expensive than Italy and it’s usually the other way round. Looks as though availability improves and prices come down once closer to the Mediterranean.

My average price aim for Italy was £60 a night for my own room with bathroom (and I stayed in some tourist hotspots including Venice and Ferrara although very much in the shoulder season) and it looks like it might be tricky to keep to that budget in France which really surprises me. I may have to break out the tent.
pq

Post by pq »

I live in SW France and haven't noticed any price changes, but there are lots of businesses which didn't survive the pandemic. The other issue is that if you're searching for accommodation in a place/time where it's at a premium, the last thing the provider is going to do, if they have any sense, is pay commission to booking platforms. So you may find the big platforms are showing nothing available, but a quick ring around (or a look on individual hotel web sites) will turn something up. It's sometimes cheaper that way too. I sometimes use google maps to find out what there is, and either look at the hotel's web site or give them a ring.
One link to your website is enough. G
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I guess like everywhere businesses didn't survive the pandemic, costs are going up across the board. Many campsites are only open high season, but we never had a problem using them in the 'closed' season, didn't always mean facilities were open....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

My son and I have just had three days in France (Pas - de - Calais/ Somme)
We stayed at a budget hotel ( mister bed) 40euro a room - we had one each.
Basic but acceptable breakfast 6 euro.
In the UK we often go for a meal in a pub - we had a couple of meals in Berck, after the first one my son said "that was a better meal and cost less than our pub and we had two courses instead of just a main meal"
We weren't cycling (well I took my bike and rode on one day) - my son said the diesel was cheaper than in the UK.
Train fares in France are cheaper IME.
Not much changed since last September.
I'm sure everywhere has become more expensive - not convinced that France is cf UK
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Just back from a short ride in France. Planned trip was cut short by the RMT strike, but I managed a week. It became a meandering, go where I wanted tour, so I could pick my accommodation more than on a set route. Started in St Malo and ended in Caen with a foray up the Cotentin.

I used Google maps in search for hotels mode to locate places. This shows all Booking.com places (must be a tie up), plus others. I then booked on Booking; through hotel website; phoned one place; and just turned up at another. Two chain hotels (Bayeux and Caen) the rest small hotels or chambre d' hote places. Prices as follows €41, 51, 38, 57, 59 and 56. So not too expensive.

The most expensive accommodation was the 2 berth cabin on the way over at €70 and luckily got a cheapish Travelodge in Portsmouth City for €52 after a late return.
Ron

Post by Ron »

jack1 wrote: 15 May 2022, 5:44pm Many camp sites either (Closed or Not Reopening) I aimed to go for 5weeks,but after 3 Days,I decided to turn round after struggling to get accommodation.
I don't think it is anything to do with the financial state of either nation, I came to the conclusion on a tour long before Brexit that the tourist industry in northern France did not reawaken from winter slumbers until the first of July.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Currently touring in France. Many campsites are opening later and closing earlier this year - July and August only in some cases. I think some municipals have taken the opportunity to undertake renovations whereas others are just being cautious this year. If you use Archie’s, don’t trust the opening info

As for prices, I’m not so sure about increase in cost. As is my previous experience, French campground prices vary wildly for exactly the same facilities. We just paid €5.40 for two at a small campground on the Garonne, the least I’ve ever paid to camp. The next day we had a four course lunch (soup, melon/jambon, moules/frites and dessert) for €14.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Not just France. I was B&B-ing in Ireland for the last two weeks in May; my average cost was over 70 euro - not too bad for a couple, but for a single person it's a lot. There just don't seem to be any single rooms.
A couple of times I had to pay over 100 euros.
Chris F, Cornwall
in4time

Post by in4time »

Also in Eire and the B&B’s are eye wateringly expensive; well to me. Currently €55pn no breakfast!!! Thankfully I carry lots of porridge so just need hot water. Asia beckons, even when flight price is factored in.
Ayseven

Post by Ayseven »

You think hotels are expensive in UK/Europe, try Canada.
My strong advice for booking anything, is to use Booking.com et al for the names of the places around your area of interest, then go directly to the hotel or whatever to book. I find the service is better, and in case of problems, reimbursement is easier.

I for one, can't wait to go back to the UK for a cycling holiday!
scottg

Post by scottg »

Ayseven wrote: 8 Jul 2022, 1:47pm You think hotels are expensive in UK/Europe, try Canada.
My strong advice for booking anything, is to use Booking.com[snip]
I used Booking.com by accident to make a reservation at a hotel, then canceled 10 minutes later.
Booking.com doesn't charge for cancellations and sent me an email acknowledging the cancellation.
The funny bit, I was still charged for the room. Cancellation does not get you a refund on the room.
The credit card company cancelled the charge for me.
Rebooked thru the actual site for the Hotel, there cancellation means your aren't charged for the room.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

scottg wrote: 8 Jul 2022, 8:35pm
Ayseven wrote: 8 Jul 2022, 1:47pm You think hotels are expensive in UK/Europe, try Canada.
My strong advice for booking anything, is to use Booking.com[snip]
I used Booking.com by accident to make a reservation at a hotel, then canceled 10 minutes later.
Booking.com doesn't charge for cancellations and sent me an email acknowledging the cancellation.
The funny bit, I was still charged for the room. Cancellation does not get you a refund on the room.
The credit card company cancelled the charge for me.
Rebooked thru the actual site for the Hotel, there cancellation means your aren't charged for the room.
Not entirely correct- it depends. I use booking reasonably frequently. I wouldn’t say I’m a fan but it performs a function. You need to read the room selection when you choose as the terms differ. Some you pay for up front but will still refund if you cancel (booking sorts that and I’ve found it fine), I usually prefer to pay on site but it’s the cancellation terms you need to pay attention to- a lot of them if you are booking a room for tonight are not cancellable without forfeiting the room charge. Generally the cheapest room is based on a fixed charge- I always select one with the latest cancellation possible. I view it as a balance though- sometimes when I’m going to an area I don’t know on the bike and if there’s only one hotel I’d like to know I’ve reserved a room well in advance. For a big city I’m a lot less likely to book until a day or 2 in advance.
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

That sounds rather odd. How can you book by accident, unless maybe you have set up an account, I alway have to enter my credit card details.
Also all hotels clearly show cancellation terms, and free cancellation means exactly that. One click, all money returned, if taken.
Personally I would always rather book direct, but too many hotels offer poorer rates than via booking.com, which is odd as I suspect they charge the hotels 20%