Keeping brake levers when changing handlebars

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PAB855

Keeping brake levers when changing handlebars

Post by PAB855 »

I wòuld like to change the drop handlebars on my 1982 Raleigh Competition to something more like Moustache style or flat bars for a more relaxed position.

For purists, no need to worry, all alterations are with an eye to the future as every change I've made means the original parts are kept so that the bike can be rebuilt in its original form.

I'm wondering if the brake levers could be reused, since they are very lightweight but I know they're not really made for flat bars, but where there's a will...

If there are no suggestions based on the experience of others who have made the change successfully, I will just go for a ' hybrid' look.

Thankfully there's no need to worry about the gear levers as they are on the downtube.

Cheers
simonineaston

Re: Keeping brake levers when changing handlebars

Post by simonineaston »

The subject of levers and their relaitonship with 'bars centres pretty much on the diameter of the 'bar. Having said that, levers designed for drops have a different geometry to those intended for flat 'bars. Swapping them round, even if you get over the hurdle of varying 'bar / clamp dimensions, isn't always satisfactory.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Many years ago I changed a Dawes to "cowhorn" bars and used the original drop bar brake levers with no problems. As mentioned, diameter could be a problem and where they are positioned on the bars.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Thanks for that. I've been looking and found crowbars with the right diameter, but not wide enough ! I've an ebike with bars about twice the width of the drop bars. Once upon a time 300mm ( 1 foot in days gone by) wasn't a problem,for me, but not now!
I will get something In due course, thanks again.

Cheers