Chromebooks - how do you use yours and why did you get it?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ncutler

Re: Chromebooks - how do you use yours and why did you get it?

Post by ncutler »

I'd be surprised if my use cases are the same as anyone else's, but for what it's worth:

I'm going to be away sailing for large chunks of this 'summer' and I need something small, portable, with a decent screen, decent battery life and most importantly a usable keyboard.

I need acess to email, on-line groups, weather forcasts & routing, technical info, navigation info, general surfing, VPN connections etc. I also need local WP, simple photo editing, decent storage, easy addition of external storage etc .. etc.

I now have one of these: https://www.google.com/chromebook/devic ... book-duet/ essentially a 10" tablet with a detachable folding keyboard.

The good things are: Boots very quickly, feels fast and fluent, screen is good to look at. Excellent battery life. A 'proper' operating system that supports keyboard, trackpad, bluetooth mouse, a proper file system, connection to USB hard drives, phones, other computers .... Most Android apps work perfectly, as do many Linix apps. ( some Android apps can't cope with screens bigger than a 'phone - this is a problem for Android tablets as well as chromebooks ). Reading Kindle books is a pleasure. Connects to an Android 'phone for a broadband hotspot with absolutely zero hassle and then surfs perfectly ( and automatically collects notifications of emails etc from the 'phone ). I get the impression that google have thought very hard about usage and conectivity with Chrome ). Being able to use a touch screen, trackpad, mouse and keyboard all at the same time is something of a revelation ......

The bad things are: More expensive than an ok 10" tablet, no GPS support so no active navigation - one could argue that this is a positive as I won't be tempted to leave it lying about in a wet cockpit, and we have other devices for GPS nav. Cannot run Windows apps so like others I'll miss good photo editing - but I wouldn't want to run Affinity or Lightroom on a 10" screen anyway. Only one USB port - so I had to spend £18 on a USB hub like object with extra ports, a card reader, and an HDMI port.

Would I take it cycle touring ? probably not, too big and heavy, can just about cope with a decent Android 'phone.
Would I take it everywhere else ? resounding yes! Remember the old 'netbook' format that never quite took off ? - well this is what the netbook should always have been

And guess what I typed this on ............ I'd never have done it using an on-screen 'keyboard'.
No pasaran