Chromebooks - how do you use yours and why did you get it?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Re: Chromebooks - how do you use yours and why did you get it?

Post by Tangled Metal »

His school uses windows and android tablets. Got loads of them for a primary school in a village, only one. Not even enough kids for to year classes neither. Not big but well equipped I reckon.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 18 May 2022, 9:23amI'd check explicitly with his school.
Tangled Metal wrote: 18 May 2022, 7:29pm His school uses windows and android tablets.
Thanks.

I was suggesting checking what software they use so that you can know in advance if everything relevant will run on a Chromebook.

Jonathan
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I think most schools use various educational websites. The two our son had been to signed up to a select few appropriate to each year. I doubt websites would trouble a chrome browser or OS. Secondary schools are possibly different but we'll see in a few years time I guess.

I doubt the chromebook would survive so long if they're not a capable option. However I don't see how I'll benefit enough for the spend. I saw a 2 in 1 for £149 widely. Mediatek processor,4gb ram and 64gb eMMC. That's cheaper than a tablet with possibly similar or lower spec. Can that really be worth getting? Is there a minimum spec or price to make them worth it or to get a reasonable performance?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

One last question.

I'm planning on escaping to take a look in curry's. What should I look for? What minimum specs? What are the various eMMC and SSD like? I've got ssd on my laptop and it's faster than had but I've not really noticed it later on.

Sorry more than one question in the end!
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

All Chromebooks are quick and the 'disk' type or capacity is almost irrelavent. Choose on the basis of format. I like the Acer Spin format better than a simple laptop.

This is what I have, but paid £20 less than this at Argos.
https://www.johnlewis.com/acer-chromebo ... OREALw_wcB

This Chromebook is supported until 2028. Beware Apple fanboys.... :wink:
Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 21 May 2022, 10:37am, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
PH

Post by PH »

Tangled Metal wrote: 20 May 2022, 9:30pm I'm planning on escaping to take a look in curry's. What should I look for?
The expiry date might be high on the list, I know nothing of Chromebooks except the disappointment of a friend discovering their "Bargain" would be obsolete in three years when they could have had up to eight.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tangled Metal wrote: 20 May 2022, 9:30pmI'm planning on escaping to take a look in curry's. What should I look for? What minimum specs? What are the various eMMC and SSD like? I've got ssd on my laptop and it's faster than had but I've not really noticed it later on.
Do you have access to Which??

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/laptops ... 2kZ9W0KQF4
https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/laptops/article/guides

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PH wrote: 21 May 2022, 10:29am
Tangled Metal wrote: 20 May 2022, 9:30pm I'm planning on escaping to take a look in curry's. What should I look for?
The expiry date might be high on the list, I know nothing of Chromebooks except the disappointment of a friend discovering their "Bargain" would be obsolete in three years when they could have had up to eight.
"Which? research reveals retailers including Currys, John Lewis, eBay and Amazon are all stocking laptops that will soon be life-expired, leaving buyers without important security updates."
https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/ou ... OHK9a2sDG3
16 November 2021

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Jdsk wrote: 21 May 2022, 10:35am
PH wrote: 21 May 2022, 10:29am
"Which? research reveals retailers including Currys, John Lewis, eBay and Amazon are all stocking laptops that will soon be life-expired, leaving buyers without important security updates."
https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/ou ... OHK9a2sDG3
16 November 2021

Jonathan
Useful info Jonathan, thanks
Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

Tangled Metal wrote: 20 May 2022, 9:30pm One last question.

I'm planning on escaping to take a look in curry's. What should I look for? What minimum specs? What are the various eMMC and SSD like? I've got ssd on my laptop and it's faster than had but I've not really noticed it later on.

Sorry more than one question in the end!
Like al_yrpal I'm another serial Chromebook owner happily using an Acer Spin. In my case the 713 as I knew I needed the faster processor and more RAM. It is worth noting that ChromeOS has evolved from it's early days of just being a portal to run the Chrome Browser and now offers much of the functionality found on other desktop OS. I believe it will shortly be available to install on older Windows and Apple laptops and PC.
If you want to check how long a device will be supported Google maintain a list.
https://support.google.com/chrome/a/ans ... =en#zippy=
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bsteel wrote: 21 May 2022, 12:13pmI believe it will shortly be available to install on older Windows and Apple laptops and PC.
Chrome OS Flex:
https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/ ... me-os-flex

Jonathan
Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

Jdsk wrote: 21 May 2022, 12:32pm Chrome OS Flex:
https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/ ... me-os-flex

Jonathan
Thanks, a timely reminder that I should try installing it on an older Chromebook that had stopped receiving updates.
millimole

Post by millimole »

al_yrpal wrote:All Chromebooks are quick and the 'disk' type or capacity is almost irrelavent.
If I remember correctly the OP was interested in installing a number of Android apps which will eat disk space.
Disk space is important if you are considering using the Linux shell for Linux programs.
But, I'd agree that for most purposes it is a small consideration.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Does anyone these days realise how big 32gb actually is!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

al_yrpal wrote: 21 May 2022, 6:54pm Does anyone these days realise how big 32gb actually is!

Al
A couple of hours of 4K video ?