Valuing a Brompton

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
simonineaston

Re: Valuing a Brompton

Post by simonineaston »

Everyone pitching in with their own idea of value rather proves my earlier point. Has anyone taken into consideration for example that for the individual who's lost his father, the potential market value of the bike may be the last thing on his mind? His motive may be simply to move the item on to another user... loved one's belongings have a lot more significance than simple monetary value. His goal may well be to move it on, to someone he thinks will benefit from it. He may well not want to engage in maximising his return.
I offer this in good faith, as a close friend has recently lost her elder brother and I have been working with her, with regard to his estate. "Fair market value" may be uppermost sometimes - of course - but there are other considerations.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

simonineaston wrote: 26 May 2022, 10:00am Everyone pitching in with their own idea of value rather proves my earlier point. Has anyone taken into consideration for example that for the individual who's lost his father, the potential market value of the bike may be the last thing on his mind? His motive may be simply to move the item on to another user... loved one's belongings have a lot more significance than simple monetary value. His goal may well be to move it on, to someone he thinks will benefit from it. He may well not want to engage in maximising his return.
I offer this in good faith, as a close friend has recently lost her elder brother and I have been working with her, with regard to his estate. "Fair market value" may be uppermost sometimes - of course - but there are other considerations.
This thread is about the OP wanting to pay his friend a fair price for the bike. There is no mention of the friend wanting to maximise his return The two are very different things.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

simonineaston wrote: 26 May 2022, 10:00am Everyone pitching in with their own idea of value rather proves my earlier point. Has anyone taken into consideration for example that for the individual who's lost his father, the potential market value of the bike may be the last thing on his mind? His motive may be simply to move the item on to another user... loved one's belongings have a lot more significance than simple monetary value. His goal may well be to move it on, to someone he thinks will benefit from it. He may well not want to engage in maximising his return.
All fair points. Anyway, he's decided it has too much sentimental value, and he's not selling it. End of.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

nirakaro wrote: 26 May 2022, 11:51am All fair points. Anyway, he's decided it has too much sentimental value, and he's not selling it. End of.
Time-waster. :roll: :wink:
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

That's bereavement for you. To describe him as a time-waster is callous, if I may say so. We all react to losses in different ways and sometimes at different time-scales. Funnily enough, had the transaction happended earlier, the Brompton may have changed hands, to mutual satisfaction, at a low low price - funny how things go...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

De Sisti wrote: 26 May 2022, 2:06pm
nirakaro wrote: 26 May 2022, 11:51am All fair points. Anyway, he's decided it has too much sentimental value, and he's not selling it. End of.
Time-waster. :roll: :wink:
No he's not a time-waster. He's a nice lad, with a good heart. It's just a shame to see such a good bike sitting gathering rust and cobwebs, and being ridden maybe a few miles once or twice a year.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

I think peak Brompton prices have passed. Reckon I might have got near a grand (with f + r luggage) 6 months ago for my S6L, now maybe 750 quid.
Drat!
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

djnotts wrote: 26 May 2022, 8:40pm I think peak Brompton prices have passed. Reckon I might have got near a grand (with f + r luggage) 6 months ago for my S6L, now maybe 750 quid.
Drat!
pm sent