Recommendations for a new bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mail@nickavery.com

Recommendations for a new bike

Post by mail@nickavery.com »

I own a modern era Dawes Galaxy AL Cross - it is a flat barred aluminiun light tourer. I'm 61 and 107 kg (about 17stone). The bike has become a bit of a money pit and in practice all I need to carry is a multi-tool, inner tube and pump as I don't think I will ever "tour". 27 gears and 27th feels a bit undergeared and I have never used 1-9 in anger.

Having decided I'll never tour, I do enjoy knocking out 40/50km after work and would like to make this more enjoyable, but on a bike that isn't going to disintegrate with a fat B***** on it. I appreciate that I can always upgrade wheels to decent handbuilt 36h wheels (indeed I already have a pair of those). I also can see an electric hub upgrade within 5 years.

Any ideas ?
Nearholmer

Re: Recommendations for a new bike

Post by Nearholmer »

See if you can find a late 80s or early 90s steel-framed hybrid, where the frame and forks are sound, then, assuming everything else is either worn out, not very good quality in the first place, or now unobtainable, strip and rebuild with a modern drive train and wheels to suit your needs.

Steel hybrid frames from that era varied from heavy and very solid, to fairly light and very solid, but either way are very strong.

I’m doing one at the moment, but have decided after cleaning it up that I will probably re-use all the old components for the time being, not because they are great quality (some of the drivetrain is very “cheap”), but because they’ve got some life left in them, and I’m a tight-wad on this project.

If you look around on the web, you will find some exceedingly good bikes built around steel hybrid frames from that era.

If you don’t mind 650b wheels, an MTB of the same era is a good place to start, some I think even have the larger steerer tube that makes them even more robust.

If you simply want to buy a new bike off the peg, a steel framed light tourer like the Genesis croix de Fer should be robust enough for you needs, although the higher spec models with really good wheels, gears and brakes are devilish difficult to get hold of.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Not sure what sort of bike your after??

I'm guessing something more lightweight?

I'd suggest a lightweight road or gravel bike.

They usually have a 120kg weight limit so your well below that.

Re the wheels I'd buy from a local shop, ride it for a month and then take it back to have them tensioned again and chances are they will remain true for many years.

Another tip would be to rise out of the saddle when you see an unavoidable pothole this gives the bike more opportunity to move up as it hits the bump.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

I’m a similar build. I’ve used Surly, Genesis, and Cotic bikes. I’ve settled on Charge bikes as I find them the most comfortable. And most affordable secondhand. Plus they are reassuringly solid. But all good.

I moved to disc brakes as well. More options, generally enable bigger tyres for the road. Which is a big plus… (why did we ever ride 19c tyres at 130PSI????)

Good quality wheels make a difference (and brakes to give you confidence). Going IGH will make the wheel bomb proof, but effect handling. (I decided too much).

Lots of people on this forum buy Spa.. they have good options - never had the need to try them but defiantly would.

Singular Cycles always turn my eye, but I’d be scared to scratch it…

Edit: I have a decathlon Carbon bike in Italy I use for long road rides and mountain climbing…
mig

Post by mig »

why is the bike a money pit?