Changing brake system..

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Norman H

Re: Changing brake system..

Post by Norman H »

I pretty much agree with all the previous comments. I also note that the Tiagra groupset in your Wiggle link is 2X10 but your present mtb set up is 3x10. Are you happy to lose the low gears? I believe Tiagra 4700 triple chainset and front changers are available.

One option that wouldn't involve too much expense would be to stick with the present transmission but fit bar end shifters. You would also need to fit mechanical discs with conventional drop bar levers.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Norman H wrote: 24 May 2022, 3:33pm I pretty much agree with all the previous comments. I also note that the Tiagra groupset in your Wiggle link is 2X10 but your present mtb set up is 3x10. Are you happy to lose the low gears? I believe Tiagra 4700 triple chainset and front changers are available.

One option that wouldn't involve too much expense would be to stick with the present transmission but fit bar end shifters. You would also need to fit mechanical discs with conventional drop bar levers.
Aren't 10 speed MTB and road R. mechs. a different cable pull? ........would be OK on friction.....
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Helpmebikegods wrote: 20 May 2022, 12:30pm Please help!
I would like to change the bars on my bike and in my ignorance realised that the bars I purchased would require a whole new braking system! I will attach photos to show you my situation.
I have been recommended the Shimano Tiagra 4720 10 Speed Disc Groupset however it's taking forever to restock at wiggle.. I'm wondering if there is another way/set I can get?
Also! I would like to try and instal the new system myself.. or should I pay a bike shop to do it? I mean.. I won't need to tools that are required for the job again so it could just be wasted money. However I would learn more about my bike in the process.
Pictures to follow!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated :) thank you!!
If you were to rank "bad ideas" on a scale of 1 to 10, this would be about a 25.
Andy Stow

Post by Andy Stow »

Surly Corner Bar. Sorted.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

531colin wrote: 24 May 2022, 6:41pm
Norman H wrote: 24 May 2022, 3:33pm I pretty much agree with all the previous comments. I also note that the Tiagra groupset in your Wiggle link is 2X10 but your present mtb set up is 3x10. Are you happy to lose the low gears? I believe Tiagra 4700 triple chainset and front changers are available.

Aren't 10 speed MTB and road R. mechs. a different cable pull? ........would be OK on friction.....
I was thinking bar end levers in friction mode. I should have made that clear.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Norman H wrote: 24 May 2022, 3:33pm I pretty much agree with all the previous comments. I also note that the Tiagra groupset in your Wiggle link is 2X10 but your present mtb set up is 3x10. Are you happy to lose the low gears?

Even the compact 50/34 on the link is gonna feel like grinding through treacle with a FS. I think gravel standard is either 48/32 or 46/30… and that would not have a FS.