Pain On Outside Of Foot

Psamathe

Pain On Outside Of Foot

Post by Psamathe »

When I got the recumbent around a year ago I had to switch to SPDs (new shoes, etc.). Trike retailer set-up the new shoes when I collected the trike (checking how my feet hung and how I walked, etc. i.e. not just bolted the cleats on). Like most cycle shoes they don't have loads of toe-box space but they are not uncomfortably tight (I don't have notably wide feet and when I purchased walking boots ages ago the store measured my feet on their machine and their recommendation was Asolo which are on the narrower side and are great).

As I've been building my mileage I've been getting a "hot spot" on the outside/top of my little toe joint, shows as a red patch on skin maybe 1 cm diam. but no blister, no sign of wear. I'd assumed it was rubbing so put a plaster over it which didn't help. Only seems to happen on longer rides.

The other day it became really very painful and 4 days later (still off the bike) it still hurts. Pain runs down side of foot and over a longer area than the red "hot-spot". Red patch on joint disappears fairly quickly after ride but now pain is persisting.

I've been looking for wider cycling shoes and am going through buying then returning as they are all (so far) similar.

I've read that outside of foot pain can be SPDs set to too much toe in but I'm wary of adjusting to toe-out more for moving the bad spot to the inside (and I already have arthritis in my big toe joints).

Is there a "it can only be caused by ..." reason or is wider/higher volume shoes and tweak SPD toe-in/toe-out the only way forward. Also does the position of the cleat front/back make any significant difference to this (I don't seem to be having any toe-clenching issues).

Many thanks
Ian
gaz

Re: Pain On Outside Of Foot

Post by gaz »

I've no insights as to the cause of yor condition.

Could the sartorial elegance of socks and SPD sandals offer a cure?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

My left foot has a pain in the little toe but even worse in the toe next to it. Feels like you've stubbed it really hard on something. This dies down after I have time off work. Usually by Sunday it goes down but more recently even av weekend isn't n enough. I think it coincided with me buying better safety boots that n fitted n me instead of chef ones that were too big. I think it's tightness on the foot with me and I think I'll buy a cheaper but roomier safety why.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

gaz wrote: 20 May 2022, 7:17pm I've no insights as to the cause of yor condition.

I hand't thought of them. I never likes such sandals when younger (based only on looks). But these days maybe. But what colour socks to wear with them?

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I don't recognise that pattern of pain as anything specific. And four days is a long time.

I'd definitely change something about the shoes or the position or both without delay.

Bringing the cleat back on the shoe is discussed for this type of problem, but I don't really understand the logic.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 21 May 2022, 12:36pm I don't recognise that pattern of pain as anything specific. And four days is a long time.

I'd definitely change something about the shoes or the position or both without delay.

Bringing the cleat back on the shoe is discussed for this type of problem, but I don't really understand the logic.

Jonathan
I've stopped riding for the moment to give it a chance to settle (though so far not much progress). Been putting on Voltarol but I'm wondering if bone bruised (if that can happen) which I believe can take a long time to improve.

I've ordered a new pair of shoes which are said to have a large toe box (already ordered other pairs and sent back as they were no wider).

I don't desperately like sandals but after the currently on order shoes I think gaz's suggestion of sandals is going to be worth trying (and they do seem to be available in-stock in my size).

It's anoying because I'm desperately trying to up my daily miles to try and get high enough for a tour but this has disrupted that. I figure cycling now is just going to "top-up" whatever damage has been done.

Thanks
Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I hope that helps.

I'd also use a topical NSAID gel, and IIRC you'd previously found that one works better for you than ibuprofen.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 21 May 2022, 12:51pm ...I'd also use a topical NSAID gel, and IIRC you'd previously found that one works better for you than ibuprofen.
That is Voltarol (Diclofenac based rather than Ibuprofen based).

Thanks
Ian
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Just in case you’ve never tried it, I’ll mention the easy way to make you existing shoes wider at the toe. Place a plastic bag inside fill with water and put in the freezer. I’ve successfully used this method but IIRC it took 2 or 3 attempts.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pwa

Post by pwa »

For shoes in general, rather than just cycling shoes, if I suspect I have an area of the shoe that is rubbing, I manipulate the shoe from the inside to get it to give a little. Pushing the inside surface of the shoe with a piece of suitably rounded wood has worked in the past. It does work if all you need is 1mm more space for a toe. Obviously, if you needed 5mm the shoe would break before you got there.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Having to use trial and error to identify and fix a problem like this must be incredibly frustrating, and you have my sympathies. I don't have any similar experience, but a few thoughts occur to me:-

I wonder if you are pedalling with a lower cadence on your recumbent, i.e. more pressure through the feet on the pedals. I am not suggesting you change your cadence - I just wonder if that is a factor in your problem.

I also wonder if a small difference in leg length or the alignment of your pelvis in the seat could be a factor. On an upright the narrow shape of the saddle, gravity and the weight of your own upper body 'centres' your pelvis on the saddle. With a saddle that was not relatively high I imagine that slight variation in leg length might have little or no impact, but some riders have to use spacers under their pedal cleats to compensate for leg length difference.

With a recumbent the support of the seat might allow more variation of the position and angle of the pelvis in the seat, which might be good or bad depending upon the individual. I suspect someone with significantly different leg lengths might twist their pelvis in the seat to compensate without even being aware of it.

Since it is evidently not a question of too narrow shoes, it sounds like how the foot is aligned and supported in the shoe might be the cause or a factor.

A few of things you could try to see if they made any difference:

- It might be that an orthotic insole or similar would help. As an experiment you could try putting the footbed from your Asolo walking boots in your cycling shoes. Specialized used to make a big thing of the ergonomics of their 'Body Geometry' shoes, and you can buy the footbeds on their own - https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/body- ... 463-130590.

- It might be worth experimenting with your seat position, especially moving it forward a bit.

- Another experiment that might be worth trying is fitting pedal extenders, e.g. https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pedals-clea ... -916-inch/

I am not suggesting that any of the above will cure the problem, but maybe they could help you isolate the underlying cause of the problem.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Pedal extenders could indeed be worth a try. Just having the feet a little further apart might level them on the pedals and prevent weight being put on the outside edges of the toe boxes. Perhaps move the cleats a little towards the outside edges at the same time, reducing the distance the feet are moved out but moving the cleat out and encouraging the foot to tilt slightly inward.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

gaz wrote: 20 May 2022, 7:17pm ...
Well ... sandals have arrived. They seem nice and wide and the front velcro "strap" can be left loose. Tried them in the house (as I can still return for refund) but I suspect I'll fit some cleats and give them a try (after which no returns). Just got to find some outrageous socks to wear with them.

Also been through several pairs of shoes, most r which are on their way back. But have found one pair that seem a bit wider (in a size larger than I normally take) so suspect I might be keeping those as well.

Now just waiting for the foot to calm down a bit before going out for a ride - if foot still bad it will take very little to send it back to where it was plus I'll have no idea if the news sandals & shoes have helped.

Ian
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Protonation is a big problem try good cycling shoes that limit foot movement
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

briansnail wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 2:50pm Protonation is a big problem try good cycling shoes that limit foot movement
I'm finding the opposite helping/solved the issue. The bad pain area was right under a strengthened seam on my limiting shoes. Waited for pain to subside adequately and now in sandals (Shimano SD-5) where the front can be set really lose which together with more play than I'd appreciated in the cleats allows loads of foot movement. Everything even gentler by wearing woollen walking socks. I no longer even get the small red marks over all my big and little toe "knuckles". So I'm hoping the sandals have solved the problem.

Still what I'd call "early days" as I'd done a couple of thousand miles before the big problem and only a few hundred since then. But I'm hopeful.

Ian