7 speed shifters

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Pebble

7 speed shifters

Post by Pebble »

Down the tube shifters.

Do these wear out, loose their indexing ? mine seem a little sloppy may even not staying in their index. Is it possible to dismantle them ?

the bike is 31 year old ith around 90k on the clock (miles)
Coaster531

Re: 7 speed shifters

Post by Coaster531 »

I have these. I index them when I change gear, naturally. Tighten the screw that they turn around on the down tube to increase friction so that they stay in place. My bike shop love these, as they say there is nothing to go wrong with them!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

'91 on cusp of transition to indexed gears. Before indexed gears, shifters relied on friction to stay put. If friction, may only need a modest tweek to tighten up...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Yes, it is possible to dismantle them but be very careful. They are not overly complex but ensure you are methodical in your dismantling.

I have a set of Campagnolo 6 speed indexed DT shifters on one of my bikes and gave them a good seeing to a couple of years ago, still indexing perfectly, although the tiny springs will doubtless fail soon!

http://www.tearsforgears.com/2005/11/ca ... fters.html
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

simonineaston wrote: 20 May 2022, 7:32pm '91 on cusp of transition to indexed gears. Before indexed gears, shifters relied on friction to stay put. If friction, may only need a modest tweek to tighten up...
bike was bought June 90, bought it to commute after moving out into the countryside (2 car families was not the norm back then).

Hadn't realised that index shifting was so new - I remember it being a huge improvement on what I had previously. Curiously it is possible to set my lever to friction shifting, why anyone would chose that is beyond me.

Anyway, back to the problem. I soaked the lever in white spirit over night then some light oil this morning, the difference is night and day, loud audible precise clicks now. I wish I had done a before video to show how dire it had become, anyway, here is the after video.
https://youtu.be/FJGRlGA7rt4
bluespeeder

Post by bluespeeder »

I have the same shifters on a Giant Speeder from about this time. Still working fine, just needs occasional oiling. I changed the bike to 8 speed about 20 years ago but the indexing still seems to work - maybe because I am using a 9 speed rear derailleur with an 8 speed cassette and a 7 speed shifter?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

set my lever to friction shifting
Poor old SunTour, hedging their bets. Cast not a snook at SunTour who made (some say) the finest non-indexed derailleur mech. ever.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)