celebrity spats

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

celebrity spats

Post by simonineaston »

The ugly public and furious rows between footballers and actors and ill-chosen partners - does anyone give a fig what these attention-seeking, addiction-troubled, vain, emotionally stunted, millionaire numb-nutts do or say, when they strut their stuff, hyper-expensively, in the full glare of camera light and microphone?
(It's very important that any of them who suffer any sort of abuse are able to get protection and redress if there's evidence of same, of course, but that's not what I'm talking about.)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Psamathe

Re: celebrity spats

Post by Psamathe »

I sort of been catching what's been going on (it's been on C4 news sometimes which I tend to watch). I don't know how different courts allocate court time but when there is such a backlog in cases for serious crime, some victims will be dreading court appearance and longing to see the guilty punished yet have long delays before they can put it behind them and try for a fresh start. Whilst some accused will be innocent and have the worry of a case eating at them with horrible long waits to prove their innocence.

And our limited court time is being spent over stupidity of Footballer wives egos. Better their case be put to the back of the queues and serious cases dealt with as a priority.

Ian
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Psamathe wrote: 20 May 2022, 8:41pm I sort of been catching what's been going on (it's been on C4 news sometimes which I tend to watch). I don't know how different courts allocate court time but when there is such a backlog in cases for serious crime, some victims will be dreading court appearance and longing to see the guilty punished yet have long delays before they can put it behind them and try for a fresh start. Whilst some accused will be innocent and have the worry of a case eating at them with horrible long waits to prove their innocence.

And our limited court time is being spent over stupidity of Footballer wives egos. Better their case be put to the back of the queues and serious cases dealt with as a priority.
The Vardy/Rooney spat is a civil libel case in the high court, not a criminal trial.

While there is indeed a massive backlog of criminal trials waiting to be heard in the Crown Court, the main reasons for that are government cuts (court closures, and the poor state of many that remain) and the govt's ongoing war against the legal profession.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

These people are just a sad reflection of modern day life in the UK,and about as interesting as watching the paint dry on a wall you've just finished and realised it's the wrong colour :?

I pity the people who find this kind of thing interesting!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

reohn2 wrote: 20 May 2022, 10:59pm I pity the people who find this kind of thing interesting!
Unfortunately that's quite a large number of people judging by the hits they get on social media.
Anything celebrity seems to interest some.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PedallingSquares wrote: 23 May 2022, 6:32pm
reohn2 wrote: 20 May 2022, 10:59pm I pity the people who find this kind of thing interesting!
Unfortunately that's quite a large number of people judging by the hits they get on social media.
Anything celebrity seems to interest some.
I find it quite puzzling that people are so interesting in thelives of others they don't know or are ever likely to meet,just because they are famous,weird and more than a little creepy if I'm honest :?
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Anyone know what Froomy or VdPoel are up to lately? Only asking because aren't they just cycling celebrities? Every Olympics cycle you get programmes following the lives of prospective olympians like they're celebrities. Admittedly they've probably done something more worthy off their own hard work than footballers' wives but you could argue actors have done more too if they're successful.

Not interested in football so the wives of ex footballers are even less interesting but I do admit to enjoying watching the pre Beijing snowsports athletes behind the scenes documentary and earlier the GB Olympic gold medallist rower trying to come back in very little time to defend her title, Helen something I think. So does that not make me a bit of a celebrity watcher too? I bet some of you have seen those preparation/ behind the scenes documentaries too.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote: 23 May 2022, 9:29pm Anyone know what Froomy or VdPoel are up to lately? Only asking because aren't they just cycling celebrities? Every Olympics cycle you get programmes following the lives of prospective olympians like they're celebrities. Admittedly they've probably done something more worthy off their own hard work than footballers' wives but you could argue actors have done more too if they're successful.

Not interested in football so the wives of ex footballers are even less interesting but I do admit to enjoying watching the pre Beijing snowsports athletes behind the scenes documentary and earlier the GB Olympic gold medallist rower trying to come back in very little time to defend her title, Helen something I think. So does that not make me a bit of a celebrity watcher too? I bet some of you have seen those preparation/ behind the scenes documentaries too.
My bold
Outside the sport,not a clue

As I don't have for any other sports or famous person,though I admire someone who's fought back from injury,loss in some form or other,substance addiction,etc.Though I don't go out of my way looking for it.
I would see Froome winning the Tour as being his finest after catastrophic injury.
I very often here names of so called famous people on TV or in the news and think,I've no idea who that is,but I susppose that's my age :shock:
In the dentists waiting room(where anything's a distraction)I once picked up a copy of Hello magazinenand almost laughed out loud at the ridiculousness of it,thinking,people must actually buy that crap!
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

We have a mute button on our tv remote, it gets pressed whenever this dross or any sport appears on the tv screen. If we have a newspaper the sport bit is discarded unread. I have watched le tour occasionally, mostly for the French Countryside views and possibly the final sprint.

Load of mostly foreign multi millionaires kicking a ball around a field...not for me.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

I love football and always have.I played as a kid and right through to my mid-30s.I was a season ticket holder at a very famous Premier League club until around 1999 when I was missing more games than I was watching.It used to irk me that I was paying £400 a season out of my hard earned and the top player was on £52k a week.That is peanuts by todays standards when average players get more than that and 'top' players can earn £500k a week plus bonuses and sponsorships.
I have no interest in what the players do off the pitch and couldn't care less who they are married to.The WAGs marry into money and it goes to their little air-heads and they believe they are as famous as their money tree is.
Very sad but true.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This does say something about the arguably distorted distribution of wealth in our society. We seem to pay footballers so much that some of their wives (and girlfriends) can indulge themselves by taking their social media tiffs to the High Court, where they will be represented by others enjoying the distorted distribution of wealth in our society.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

At least they are redistributing some of their money to people working the legal system.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

VinceLedge wrote: 24 May 2022, 10:33am At least they are redistributing some of their money to people working the legal system.
Did you miss out an "in" intentionally?

While so-called WAGs throwing their money about is a source of humour, others spend big money for more sinister reasons. I'm thinking of what are termed SPLAPPs or Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... ion-slapps

The basis of that is that the the potentially massive costs of defending a civil defamation action are weaponised - to use a modern expression - to shut up critics without ever getting as far as a trial of the issues.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Maybe a Freudian slip :lol: