NCN Routes 71, 72, 7, 1, 68, 14- signage

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
VinceLedge

NCN Routes 71, 72, 7, 1, 68, 14- signage

Post by VinceLedge »

We have just completed a wee Loop cycle tour starting at Carlisle then to whitehaven, the C2C then South Shields back to Galashiels.
We used all or bits of the above NCN Routes and were surprised at the variability of signage. In some places there signs everywhere whereas at some more difficult to navigate turns and junctions there were no signs or ones that were so faded they were very hard to spot. We missed some bits of the routes even in conjunction with the map.
Is this because Sustrans is struggling to fund maintenance?
We also saw a temporary sign saying Sustrans at work but saw no evidence of it.
rotavator

Re: NCN Routes 71, 72, 7, 1, 68, 14- signage

Post by rotavator »

Yes, the lack of signs at vital junctions and, conversely, the presence of signs when the only option is to carry on straight ahead makes me question the point and expense of having such signage because cyclists end up having to use GPS or old school map and compass in order to navigate.

I had the same problem when I first did Lon Las Cymru and I ran out of signs around Brecon so I went on a unplnned long detour into the hinterland, aka got lost. Another problem with the LLC/NCN 8 signage is the "braids" i.e. where there are multiple versions of NCN 8; I can see the point but why noone at Sustrans had the nous to label alternative routes as 8A, 8B, 8C etc. is beyond me.

I guess that some signs may have been removed by local folk who hate cyclists but they could be replaced by more vandal proof versions.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

They definitely need to employ cyclists like us to road test the signage!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

C2C is exceptionally well signed IME. Other routes if you don’t use GPS can cost you so much time finding your way.
Out of interest what was your route from Shields to Gala?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

We took the passenger ferry across the Tyne then followed the Coast to Castles route to Warkworth, then to Alnwick for an overnight. Alnwick, Cornhill, Kelso then Gala all on the back roads.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

And to be fair the signage on 95% of the routes is very good, it is the tricky bits we're it is either missing or hidden that caught us out!
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Sustrans signage is generally checked by volunteers (who are cyclists). Where permanent signs have gone AWOL, the volunteers will generally replace them with blue adhesive signs. I suspect the pandemic has probably had a bit of an effect on the amount of volunteering done recently.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
ebor62

Post by ebor62 »

Having been a keen user of Sustrans long distance routes, I also found that on occasions the signing was difficult to follow in places. In order to put something back into the system, I joined the local Sustrans group as a ranger. I look after about a 15 mile stretch of the NCN 2, mostly on cycle track. Checking signs is the easy bit, chopping back overgrow verges and bramble is more involved. We hold regular meetings and have a group ride afterwards to get fresh views on a route. I guess as with all bands of volunteers, enthusiasm and time may vary. We hold working parties for larger challenges and I have in the past cycled 100 plus miles to reach them. Most time consuming though is the work that goes on ,to get better cycling facilities and routes, such as checking planning applications and attending meetings so that new housing is cycle friendly, (somewhere other than the bedroom to store your cycle ) speed limits, dedicated cycle routes, cycle racks at schools and town centres. We are currently working with our town council, county council, district council and National park on several projects. It has opened my eyes to the effort and time these volunteers put in, especially at the pace councils move at, often taking years of campaigning to get something done..
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Well done for doing that and thanks from me!
Will look in to any local groups here in the Borders - route 1 passes our house so no excuse!
ebor62

Post by ebor62 »

That would be great., Richard is correct in that covid has restricted our activities. Although we were able to work alone and have zoom meetings the loss of events such, such as cycle shows and rallies, meant we were unable to recruit and publicise. ( Thanks Richard for Cycle Travel a great facility) I can see the difficulty on rural routes , where the distances may be far greater and the volunteers far fewer, so there may be no local group.
grufty

Post by grufty »

Welcome to Penrith!
Attachments
20220525_212000.jpg