Chepstow to Monmouth

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Armorel

Chepstow to Monmouth

Post by Armorel »

I'm thinking of cycling from Chepstow to Monmouth (and back a couple of days later - in August). It looks as though I have a choice between the A466 or a network of minor roads west of the Wye through places like Trellech. Usually I strenuously avoid A roads but the A466 looks tempting for flatness and scenery - can anyone comment on what traffic conditions are like on that road? If it's a narrow road with busy, fast traffic I'll be better off avoiding it so I could do with someone to tell me what it's like!
Pneumant

Re: Chepstow to Monmouth

Post by Pneumant »

Hi, the A466 is a beautiful road but not so flat as you might think, especially the Monmouth to Chepstow direction. Very scenic though especially Tintern Abbey and the River Wye. Can be busy as is a popular 'Sunday drive' type route. Cafe stops plentiful especially in Tintern. Alternatives are the Wye Valley Greenway, the lovely and quieter B4228 via St Briavels and the equally lovely B4293 via Trellech. Of the three I would ride A466 to Chepstow and return via Redbrook & St Briavels.
Armorel

Post by Armorel »

Thanks - some useful and interesting ideas there.
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

Both Chepstow and Monmouth are also worth exploring as well, if you feel like a good circular walk whilst in Monmouth follow the Offa's Dyke path to the Kymin and loop round via Redbrook (and The Boat Inn) returning via the Wye Valley Path.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I ride that way fairly regularly, just a few pointers.
  • between Tintern and Chepstow there is a long climb and ime thats the busiest section of the 'valley' route
  • The eastern route via St Briavels has a lengthy climb either end to leave the Wye Valley but is otherwise quite benign
  • The western route via Devauden/Trelleck is probably the toughest choice, a succesion of ups and downs sandwiched between the climbs at either end
The Wye Greenway does cut out most of the climbing between Tintern and Chepstow but be aware that the surface isn't great at the Tintern end.
The St Briavels road i've found to be quite busy with more heavy traffic than the other options

Have to say that my default is the valley route usually after having taken a longer loop through the Fof D or even the Usk valley.

Its only about 16 miles along the river so its ideal for a gentle meander.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

All on my regular ride list living in the Forest of Dean. The valley road is fine but traffic can be fast so avoid rush hours and weekends. It's the main drag from the north to the Severn Bridge and full of tourists as well. As it's busy with cyclists the patience of other road users wears a bit thin. Relativly short climb form Chepstow to high point, a fast log descent to Tintern the nearly flat to Monmouth.
East of the Wye looks lumpy but isn't that bad. Not as fast for traffic but a bit bendy so you get pushy overtakers.
West of the Wye means a climb up from several places, by Chepstow race course or further ulong the Wye at St Arvans. Big ring climbing if you are trying. I would go that way as it is quieter.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Armorel wrote: 23 May 2022, 8:18pm I'm thinking of cycling from Chepstow to Monmouth (and back a couple of days later - in August). It looks as though I have a choice between the A466 or a network of minor roads west of the Wye through places like Trellech. Usually I strenuously avoid A roads but the A466 looks tempting for flatness and scenery - can anyone comment on what traffic conditions are like on that road? If it's a narrow road with busy, fast traffic I'll be better off avoiding it so I could do with someone to tell me what it's like!
The A466 isn't all that bad, but if I were doing it at this time of year I would try to do it just after sunrise, when the road is at its quietest. The road through Trellech is good, but so is the B4228 through St Briavels. All three roads have climbs.