Political expediency in Britain through history?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Political expediency in Britain through history?

Post by Tangled Metal »

Just been contemplating how our modern leaders are just keeping up the traditions of the past with sucking up to greater powers to gain influence.

Any good examples from history that you know about? I can only think of the determination of easter through English King sucking up to Rome over setting easter.
Ben@Forest

Re: Political expediency in Britain through history?

Post by Ben@Forest »

Tangled Metal wrote: 24 May 2022, 6:46am Any good examples from history that you know about? I can only think of the determination of easter through English King sucking up to Rome over setting easter.
Not really accurate. The determination of Easter for what is now the UK was made at the Synod of Whitby in 664. At that time there was no King of England. And there was no 'sucking up' it was about choosing the Roman tradition or the Irish Celtic tradition.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Excellent-is it related to the Prospect of Whiby,1520?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Ben@Forest wrote: 24 May 2022, 8:24am
Tangled Metal wrote: 24 May 2022, 6:46am Any good examples from history that you know about? I can only think of the determination of easter through English King sucking up to Rome over setting easter.
Not really accurate. The determination of Easter for what is now the UK was made at the Synod of Whitby in 664. At that time there was no King of England. And there was no 'sucking up' it was about choosing the Roman tradition or the Irish Celtic tradition.
Sorry but King of England but of Northumberland who called the synod. I remember he called for representatives of the Iona and Roman methods of computing the date to debate it but he did not join in. A political opportunity for him and his kingdom but he had to be a bit politick about his hand. At the time his kingdom followed the Iona monk's computations but a lot of Europe followed the Roman church we now follow.

It was supposedly a strategy to gain favour with more powerful Roman states according to a documentary presented by one of those academics who do those perky history lite documentaries. However that might just be selling the story.

It was a debate between the two computing traditions that was called by a King of what is now part of England and as you on pointed out at Whitby. I think there was a high degree of political expediency involved. But are there any others from history?
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Tangled Metal wrote: 24 May 2022, 9:24pm It was a debate between the two computing traditions that was called by a King of what is now part of England and as you on pointed out at Whitby. I think there was a high degree of political expediency involved. But are there any others from history?
I'm still not sure about the political expediency. Oswiu, the King of Northumbria, a kingdom which then stretched from the Borders to the Humber, had been brought up in the Irish tradition, his wife, from southern England, had been brought up in the Roman tradition. People were genuinely celebrating Easter at different times. Perhaps he just wanted to please his wife.... :twisted:

Real political expediency was Henry IV of France. Having been raised a Protestant and fought in the Wars of Religion (against Catholics) he converted to Catholicism to succeed to the French throne, reportedly saying 'Paris is worth a Mass'.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Well from one of those historian presented documentaries it was certainly painted as a way to get better connected with a wealthier Europe that was more in the roman tradition. It was a big change to kind of convert your tradition as a king I guess. Did he bring his kingdom with him or was there conflict over n this? His kingdom was converted from their long held Irish religious tradition I think following this. Not a minor event and it was a calling card to the European scene I reckon. Must have got him noticed.

If expediency is the wrong world it certainly was a play of some kind.