Farewell to Dervla Murphy

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Ben@Forest

Re: Farewell to Dervla Murphy

Post by Ben@Forest »

cycle tramp wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 8:16am That's a fair point. There's only so much time i can spend on this forum, and some of my posts do require a final 'edit' (and possibly a re-wind/erase, and volume control)... rather than a Donald Trump point and fire approach..

Having read the above comments I'm kinda reminded of the Holy Grail Sketch about the Britons.. any way when I wrote 'we' it was a reference to our government..
Whose government? Until the 1832 Reform Act only around 12% of adult men had the vote. The Reform Act increased it to about 18%. No women of course.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Ben@Forest wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 10:30pm
cycle tramp wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 8:16am That's a fair point. There's only so much time i can spend on this forum, and some of my posts do require a final 'edit' (and possibly a re-wind/erase, and volume control)... rather than a Donald Trump point and fire approach..

Having read the above comments I'm kinda reminded of the Holy Grail Sketch about the Britons.. any way when I wrote 'we' it was a reference to our government..
Whose government? Until the 1832 Reform Act only around 12% of adult men had the vote. The Reform Act increased it to about 18%. No women of course.
Is now, not the time to work towards further devolvement for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, whilst accepting mutual goals, concerns and aspirations, on the dependence of the will of those people of those regions and by doing so attempt to indicate to both China and Russia that political influences not driven by land mass but rather creating a future vision based around equally, in its forms, and inclusive of everyone? And that rather than fearing democracy it becomes the tool to raise the quality of life for all citizens.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
pwa

Post by pwa »

cycle tramp wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 8:47am
Ben@Forest wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 10:30pm

Is now, not the time to work towards further devolvement for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, whilst accepting mutual goals, concerns and aspirations, on the dependence of the will of those people of those regions and by doing so attempt to indicate to both China and Russia that political influences not driven by land mass but rather creating a future vision based around equally, in its forms, and inclusive of everyone? And that rather than fearing democracy it becomes the tool to raise the quality of life for all citizens.
I live in the more populous part of Wales and hear absolutely nobody on the streets talking about independence the way they do in Scotland. I know Plaid bang on about it but most people don't listen to them. As an issue it is low on the agenda. The dominant party, Labour, are content with devolved government. So there is a big difference between Wales and Scotland in that regard. Northern Ireland is different again. It will not have a change of status until both main traditions act together to bring it about. The UK Government cannot force that to happen.

I suspect Dervla Murphy would have enjoyed the way the different parts of the UK have their own relationship with the Union. And the fact that ultimately, the UK Government will not indefinitely hang onto any part that is determined to secede.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pwa wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 8:57amNorthern Ireland is different again. It will not have a change of status until both main traditions act together to bring it about. The UK Government cannot force that to happen.
There might be a different outcome. Nationalist support will steadily increase. The non-aligned position seems to be growing. That could mean that the defined condition for a border poll might be reached without a change of view by traditional Unionists.

Why would anyone who is non-aligned vote for unification? The wish to live in a Member State of the European Union.

Jonathan
pwa

Post by pwa »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 9:13am
pwa wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 8:57amNorthern Ireland is different again. It will not have a change of status until both main traditions act together to bring it about. The UK Government cannot force that to happen.
There might be a different outcome. Nationalist support will steadily increase. The non-aligned position seems to be growing. That could mean that the defined condition for a border poll might be reached without a change of view by traditional Unionists.

Why would anyone who is non-aligned vote for unification? The wish to live in a Member State of the European Union.

Jonathan
But the difference with NI is the power sharing arrangement that was arrived at to bring about peace, and which built in power sharing between Unionists and Republicans. If NI left the Union due to a simple majority vote, attractive though that is, civil war could result. Both sides have to move together. Even today you can see how one side stops the other doing anything if it wants to.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pwa wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 9:25am
Jdsk wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 9:13am

But the difference with NI is the power sharing arrangement that was arrived at to bring about peace, and which built in power sharing between Unionists and Republicans. If NI left the Union due to a simple majority vote, attractive though that is, civil war could result. Both sides have to move together.
The power sharing agreement doesn't affect the conditions for *holding a border poll or require anything beyond a majority in the result.

You might be right about the effects.

Jonathan

* The Northern Ireland Act 1998 states that “if at any time it appears likely to him that a majority of those voting would express a wish that Northern Ireland should cease to be part of the United Kingdom and form part of a united Ireland”, the Secretary of State shall make an Order in Council enabling a border poll.
Tom_B

Post by Tom_B »

Code: Select all

I suspect Dervla Murphy would have enjoyed the way the different parts of the UK have their own relationship with the Union. And the fact that ultimately, the UK Government will not indefinitely hang onto any part that is determined to secede.
See her 1978 work ‘ A Place Apart: Northern Ireland in the 1970s’
Also ‘ Tales from Two Cities: Travels of Another Sort’, which recounts extended stays in Birmingham and Bradford
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

folks may be interested in this online event

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/online-b ... blishemail
Sweep
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Tinnishill wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 8:40pm As nobody has mentioned it yet, here is Miss Murphy's famous kit list for her (winter) trip from Waterford to Delhi.

Single speed bike.

CLOTHES WORN AT THE START
1 woollen vest
1 pair of woollen ankle-length underpants
1 pair of gabardine slacks
1 pair of waterproof trousers
2 heavy sweaters
1 Viyella shirt
1 gabardine wind-cheater
1 woollen balaclava helmet
1 skiing cap
1 pair of leather fur-lined gauntlets

CHANGE OF CLOTHES
1 woollen vest
1 pair of woollen ankle-length underpants
1 Viyella shirt

TOILET ARTICLES
1 bar of soap
1 face-cloth
1 hand-towel
1 toothbrush
1 tube of toothpaste

MEDICAL SUPPLIES
3 tubes of insect repellent cream
100 Chlorinate tablets (for water purification)
1 ounce of potassium permanganate (against snake
bite)
1 dozen Acromycin capsules
1 tin of Elastoplast
100 Aspirin
100 Paludrin tablets (against malaria)
6 tubes of sunburn cream
BOOKS
Nehru's History of India
William Blake's Poems (Penguin edition)

INCIDENTALS
1 ·25 automatic pistol
4 rounds of ammunition
12 Biro pens
6 notebooks
4 maps
1 cycling cape
1 camping knife
1 Thermos flask
1 mug
Passport
1 money belt
£300 in traveler's cheques

BIKE SPARES
1 tyre
1 inner tube
1 lamp-battery
4 links for the chain
1 brake cable
3 puncture repair outfits
1 pump connection
A bit heavy on the paludrin – there aren't any really malarial regions between Ireland and India (though that might have been different 60-odd years ago, I suppose). Similarly aspirin can be obtained pretty much everywhere if needed.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 9:55amA bit heavy on the paludrin – there aren't any really malarial regions between Ireland and India (though that might have been different 60-odd years ago, I suppose).
Now... Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Pre 2000 ish, paludrin was the standard anti malarial worldwide. Cheap as chips bought in a tub (size of film canister) of (probably) 100.

Steadily became less popular due to resistance and other drugs took over. Also pauldrine (ICI?) were sold/taken over by another company that bubble packed and raised the price enormously.

I think the last time I used them was in the 90s in S America.