cantilever brakes for an old frame

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jimlews

Re: cantilever brakes for an old frame

Post by jimlews »

hamster wrote: 24 May 2022, 1:59pm You could try fitting U-Brakes (early 90s MTB), as they have a very different (higher) canti pivot position.
U brakes are essentially beefed-up centre pull brakes. The front braze on pivots are positioned at the fork crown, so would necessitate the expense of replacing the pivots and a respray. They also require their own unique studs.

The difference in size between 700c and 27" is, I think, 4mm at the rim.
There would be a real danger of the brake blocks contacting the tyre side wall and causing a catastrophic blow-out.

Reports of the demise of the 27" rim have been knocking around for the last 35-40 years. They were premature then and still are today.
Tyres are available, as stated earlier and can be had from 1" width up to 1&3/8".
Of the rims linked earlier there is an option for a 40 hole rim.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

pliptrot wrote: 24 May 2022, 10:04am I have a frame built for 27" wheels with cantilever brakes. It's a George Longstaff so I want to keep it going. The set up of brake blocks on the current cantilevers (Dia Compe 987 (front) and Mafac (back)) on 700C wheels (MA40) is difficult in that the blocks do not hit the rims squarely - the studs are too high. The frame and forks are what you may call classic 531 touring design. Does anyone know of cantilevers which may have more vertical adjustment to accommodate this mismatch? V-brakes look worse so that's not the way to go. I would change the levers too, if that is required. Thanks for any advice.
Been round this loop......

ImageIMG_5595 by 531colin, on Flickr

Thats one arm of some Tektro cantilevers I cut down to do the job.....presumably set up still as I last used it on that bike. ("Aztec" brake blocks....remember them?)
Its not a complete answer; the brake block is very close to the pivot, as it has to be, so very little wear on the block means its trying to dive under the rim, so its not a brake set-up I would want to use on a commuting bike used through the winter on roads covered in grinding paste, unless you like spending your winter evenings fiddling about with brakes which are particularly fussy to set up.

For comparison, here is a set of the same brake before cutting down; this was my best cantilever brake, braking (from the hoods) was limited by my ability to keep the back wheel down. The barrel adjuster in the straddle wire is a good idea, it provides instant adjustment without spoiling the mechanical advantage as much as a barrel adjuster on the hanger.

Image003 by 531colin, on Flickr

Front and rear cut down cantis. are yours if you want them, the bike they were for is long gone....pm me your address, I'll post them
Paddyk

Post by Paddyk »

Had the same problem fitting cantis on an old touring frame here in Denmark. All the new brakes were too wide and just didn't fit. i found these which work really well and were cheap:
https://www.cykelpartner.dk/faelgbremse ... emse-soelv
They're from a German firm called Point and I assume imported from China:
https://shop.pointbike.de/fahrradteile/ ... 79101.html
I've also seen them sold under the name "Force" and a quick google search shows them available in a few other countries:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Force+C ... e&ie=UTF-8
Hope this helps...
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

Thanks to all who offered advice. I must admit that I never even considered going back to 27" rims! Thanks to the incredible generosity of one of our sage forum members I think I have a solution. I will update with piccies once the bike is built. It is to my chagrin that the paintwork has been inexpertly maintained, as you will see, but a respray may happen in the second 40 years of it's life.It'll out live me. As it has George Longstaff himself.
Tompsk

Post by Tompsk »

Late to the discussion but if you don't mind compromising on originality you could change the forks to a 700c set? You obviously need find some with the right diameter for the headset, length, material(?) etc. The rear braking will need some of the fixes discussed earlier.
Sticking with 27" may be the best way forward though :-)
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

pliptrot wrote: 1 Jun 2022, 6:32pm Thanks to all who offered advice. I must admit that I never even considered going back to 27" rims! Thanks to the incredible generosity of one of our sage forum members I think I have a solution. I will update with piccies once the bike is built. It is to my chagrin that the paintwork has been inexpertly maintained, as you will see, but a respray may happen in the second 40 years of it's life.It'll out live me. As it has George Longstaff himself.
If you do go for a respray at some point it might be worth considering getting the brake bosses moved to accommodate 700C wheels at the same time.