I hate disc brakes - help!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Cugel

Re: I hate disc brakes - help!

Post by Cugel »

rareposter wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 9:48pm
Jon in Sweden wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 5:52pm If I was going somewhere where heavy braking was part of the trip, I'd be on a rim braked Canyon, thankfully.
Unless I was specifically buying a retro bike, I'd never get a rim-braked bike ever again!

Better braking, wheels last longer, nothing to worry about with cable (hose) routing, ability to use much bigger tyres... Far more benefits to disc brakes than simply the braking.
Ditto. Not because rim brakes can be more than adequate in many (or even all) cycling scenarios encountered by a particular cyclist and their bike but because good hydraulic disc brakes match and exceed all the characteristics of rim brakes then add some advantages, as you mention.

As with other technologies, one must become familiar with the necessary set-up and maintenance procedures. This isn't an onerous task with good hydraulic disc brakes. Once they've been set up, the maintenance levels are significantly less than with rim brakes.

As with other technologies, there can be poorly designed and poorly set up examples. Best to avoid them for the better sort, whether they happen to be rim brakes or disc brakes.

Cugel.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

rareposter wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 9:48pm
Jon in Sweden wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 5:52pm If I was going somewhere where heavy braking was part of the trip, I'd be on a rim braked Canyon, thankfully.
Unless I was specifically buying a retro bike, I'd never get a rim-braked bike ever again!

Better braking, wheels last longer, nothing to worry about with cable (hose) routing, ability to use much bigger tyres... Far more benefits to disc brakes than simply the braking.

A few years ago on an event in the Alps, I saw a few blown tyres from the heat that was coming off the rim brakes. Never seen it before, always thought it was a bit of a myth but I guess with thousands of riders plus a baking hot day, it was almost inevitable that I'd witness it. Initially I thought someone had put tacks on the road from the number of punctures but it was people dragging brakes, the rims getting super hot and then the tubes bursting. 😳
Yes and for packing the bike up with stuff for a weeks holiday -- your luggage won't get in the way of disc brakes whereas you had to watch where to put stuff on the rear rack with rim brakes. Although I stick to hydraulics since the cable / pipe won't be affected by where you put front luggage.
I am here. Where are you?
PH

Post by PH »

slowster wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 2:17pm The procedure you describe is the basic minimum. There are a number of things which might be causing the problem, and various extra procedures which you might therefore need to follow. I suggest you watch this video.
That's a very useful guide, I don't think I'd seen that one. Though I think they may have mentioned in the diagnostics bit that it's a waste of time if the frame needs facing, rather than leaving mention of it till the end. The guide is about the length of time I'd spend adjusting before taking it to be faced or checked that it had been done properly. There's little point in repeating the same process over and over hoping for a different result!
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

rareposter wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 9:48pm A few years ago on an event in the Alps, I saw a few blown tyres from the heat that was coming off the rim brakes. Never seen it before, always thought it was a bit of a myth but I guess with thousands of riders plus a baking hot day, it was almost inevitable that I'd witness it. Initially I thought someone had put tacks on the road from the number of punctures but it was people dragging brakes, the rims getting super hot and then the tubes bursting. 😳
It happened twice to us on the (entirely rim-braked) tandem. Once coming off the Tourmalet; but once where you'd think it less likely: a long summer's day crossing lumpy Dorset.