Measuring Wheel rim thickness

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Richard of York

Measuring Wheel rim thickness

Post by Richard of York »

A couple of years ago I had a rear rim split and tear a section from the wheel with associated tyre damage. A friend had similar recently descending Otley Chevin. Both on roads. No injuries fortunately. How do folks here measure rim wear assuming no indicator on rim. Accepted wisdom seems to be replace at 1-1.5mm.
Would a micrometer do it. One like this from Screwfix for example.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220524-135510.png
simonineaston

Re: Measuring Wheel rim thickness

Post by simonineaston »

I know the answer to this Q 'cos you wouldn't be asking about micrometers if the answer was Yes they do, but Are you saying that your rims do not have wear tracks? (some of mine do and some of mine don't !)
I have often wondered about the same and have pondered that maybe the very cheapest micrometer would do - after all, it's not as if they have to be super-duper accurate, just consistant... Once calibrated against a reference, you'd know what to look for.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Richard of York

Post by Richard of York »

simonineaston wrote: 24 May 2022, 2:16pm I know the answer to this Q 'cos you wouldn't be asking about micrometers if the answer was Yes they do, but Are you saying that your rims do not have wear tracks? (some of mine do and some of mine don't !)
I have often wondered about the same and have pondered that maybe the very cheapest micrometer would do - after all, it's not as if they have to be super-duper accurate, just consistant... Once calibrated against a reference, you'd know what to look for.
Like you, I have some wheels with indicator marks, others not. I just wonder if the micrometer foot would fit in against a rim. I had thought I might be able to use a Vernier caliper if I sandwiched rim between too small blocks of known width, or 2 ball bearings of known diameter. But the micrometer seems easier if it fits. Perhaps I shouldn't be so tight and just buy it and try it.
Last edited by Richard of York on 24 May 2022, 2:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I'm sure a second-hand-but-perfectly-decent, old-school micrometer off of fleabay could be adapted, 'specially if only for a single task. Couple of pieces of filed-up scrap ally, super-glued in place.
picture of second-hand micrometer, at 3 quid
picture of second-hand micrometer, at 3 quid
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I think I'll give it a go!
S
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

geomannie
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Nice! Perfect for the job, by the looks of it :)
S
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Anything with flat faced jaws like a micrometer will overestimate the thickness because the brake surfaces are usually worn concave, so you need something with small, and preferably rounded, tips to the jaws. You also need something small enough diameter to fit into the recess inside.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

You can even make your own Iwanson Gauge fairly simply, and if you make the outer legs quite long, maybe ten times the jaw length, it’s easy to mark them up quite accurately. I made a pair when I was a trainee 45+ years ago, and have carefully kept them in a safe places through multiple house moves ….. and now I need them for the first time in decades, I can’t blasted well find them!
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

simonineaston wrote: 24 May 2022, 2:42pm Nice! Perfect for the job, by the looks of it :)
I would just add, make sure you measure thickness at mutiple points. It will likely vary.
geomannie
bgnukem

Post by bgnukem »

Iwanson gauge is cheap and far easier than faffing about with Vernier calipers and bits of spoke.

Expect to be shocked and appalled by how thin some modern rim sidewalls are. I had a couple of Mavics that were close to 1mm thick when new.......
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

bgnukem wrote: 24 May 2022, 6:08pm Iwanson gauge is cheap and far easier than faffing about with Vernier calipers and bits of spoke.

Expect to be shocked and appalled by how thin some modern rim sidewalls are. I had a couple of Mavics that were close to 1mm thick when new.......
+1
geomannie
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Image003 by 531colin, on Flickr

Just take a file to a vernier gauge
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I can see what you've done there... :)
S
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

geomannie wrote: 24 May 2022, 2:41pm I & others use an Iwanson gauge
https://www.toolsntoolsuk.co.uk/shop/iw ... ental-etc/
I got one of those from a cheap tool-shop in Plymouth. Only a couple of quid.
Mick F. Cornwall