Finding places to leave a vehicle for a few days

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Steve X

Finding places to leave a vehicle for a few days

Post by Steve X »

We often will drive somewhere and leave our Van, thats Van as in Van, not Van as in some pimped up Mobile tent, and will do a ride and return. For example we are catching a ferry from Hull this year, and rather than pay £100 to park for 2 weeks, we would rather park a few miles away and cycle to the port.
When parking though in a strange area one does not want to upset anyone, or leave the vehicle in an area it is likely to be attacked in some way.
I tend to scour google maps and look for a wide road with no parking restrictions, near enough to houses that its not isolated, but not so close it will annoy people, in an area with not too many Sofas in the front gardens.
Does anyone have any tips on finding longer stay parking spots please?
hamster

Re: Finding places to leave a vehicle for a few days

Post by hamster »

I've in the past gone and asked at garages (the repair variety not petrol stations) and asked to park in their secure compound. In my case it's been with a car and boat trailer. The smaller the better as usually you then deal with the boss and a price agreed.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Strange as it may seem, some (by no means all!) railway station car parks can be viable for this. Outside of big towns, some of them are actually quite cheap, have cctv etc, and are reasonably “secure” (not theft targets/hotspots).

A couple of years ago, I did a week circular tour, leaving the car in a rural station car park, and doing the last c20 miles of the circuit on the train to avoid a bit with very busy roads. I can’t remember what the car park cost, but it was distinctly cheap.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

There are apps/websites with people renting out driveways, etc. Search online.

Maybe contact local cycle club? Even cricket football club, if you are prepared to pay a few quid.

Search out likely places on Google maps (satellite) and then contact whoever.
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

Yes Train Stations are a possibility, generally though unless using the Train I would tend not to, as it seems a bit unfair, but as I was going to get the Train but the RMTs vote now means that the Train cannot now be relied upon, they can shove it.
Bus park and rides are another, but they sometimes have height barriers, and at the start of a trip, time can be of the essence, so if that occurs, driving around trying to find an alternative place gets stressful.
I do not mind paying something, just not £100 plus.
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

Steve X wrote: 25 May 2022, 8:35am
Does anyone have any tips on finding longer stay parking spots please?
try to find a small town with a neighbourhood of semi detached houses and appartments / or small flats. Those often have rows of communal parking spots which are not clearly linked to a single house
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
Halla

Post by Halla »

Try advertising on here to see if anyone has space on a private driveway.

A few years ago I had a car on my drive for a couple of weeks while the cyclists went to France.

No charge, just nice to help another cyclist.

Could be worth a try.
beeb

Post by beeb »

try a campsite?
Aikon

Post by Aikon »

Roads surrounding churches have been ok for us when doing multi day trips walking sections of the coast path, they’re a lot emptier than roads with homes both sides.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Stay at a hotel at the beginning or end and leave it there. Sometimes we've paid for this and sometimes it has been free.

(There's a recent discussion of this and campsites somewhere in the archive.)

Jonathan
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

I do exactly the same as you and it's been fine with my car. Did 6 weeks in one place without getting a Police Aware sticker!

Google maps tends to make the roads look a bit narrower but you can get a good feel for the neighbourhood. As you say I think it is important not to 'steal' someone's front of house parking, on a crowded street, so am normally looking for somewhere where the houses have good off road parking and somewhere by a bit of hedge or wall but overlooked from the other side of the road.
old fangled
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Steve X wrote: 25 May 2022, 10:58am Yes Train Stations are a possibility, generally though unless using the Train I would tend not to, as it seems a bit unfair, but as I was going to get the Train but the RMTs vote now means that the Train cannot now be relied upon, they can shove it.
Bus park and rides are another, but they sometimes have height barriers, and at the start of a trip, time can be of the essence, so if that occurs, driving around trying to find an alternative place gets stressful.
I do not mind paying something, just not £100 plus.
I would agree with being careful about using train stations, our local one has inadequate parking as it is for everyone who want to use it, if travelling after 8am forget trying to park at it....

I would also question security, we left a vehicle on a station car park thinking it was secure and had my son's child size bike stolen out of the back of it, and we had only been parked a few hours.
Car parking apps, or if staying overnight the night before we have asked at the venue we have stayed at .... ie youth hostel or camp site
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I would certainly not recommend leaving a car in a residential area as has been mentioned. Where I live such people are at best an antisocial nuisance and those who live here are not happy that they cannot park anywhere near their house when returning from work.
People in residential areas with empty driveways do advertise secure parking so try google.