Any experience with Selle Royal saddles?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
keefwaddo

Any experience with Selle Royal saddles?

Post by keefwaddo »

Just about to dump my second and final Brooks.

The bike I rode for the longest period was a mountain bike and I used and replaced with the same saddle that came with it. It was wide and padded and pretty cheap. I was also comfortable and long lasting. Finally the other day I saw a discussion about Selle Royal saddles. It seems they are popular with European bike tourers. So I checked out the company and they have a bewildering number of models. I checked the one linked below and it looks about the right shape for me. Does anyone know anything about this model or another by the same company?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083QNDGJQ...ehikesafari-20
rogerzilla

Re: Any experience with Selle Royal saddles?

Post by rogerzilla »

Brooks are part of Selle Royal now, which is why there are difficulties buying them in the UK, post-Brexit. Stocks are kept in an Italian warehouse, even if they're made in Smethwick. You can only order stuff > £135 from the Brooks website because they haven't registered for UK VAT.

What I think of this isn't printable.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

The link to the SR saddle does not work for me.

I have tried two SR saddles that I did not get on with however both are used and liked by friends of mine.

The Respiro I tried the Athletic Version and just could not find a comfortable riding position no matter how many adjustments I made. My wife tried the same saddle and she had a similar problem.

The other one was the Float which I found more comfortable but the roughness of the saddle surface caused me pain but then I do have an ischial bursitis problem.

Regarding SR owning Brooks. According to someone who worked for them all saddles sold in the UK are shipped straight to the distributors in the UK. Them I believe are Extra UK.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Galactic

Post by Galactic »

I've had quite a few Selle Royal saddles, mainly because they're made in Italy rather than by a Malaysian child or a Chinese political prisoner. They have a wide range and they keep updating the model names and styles so it's impossible to make a specific recommendation (not that one can with saddles anyway). I still haven't found one that's comfortable for 5 to 8 hour days, so I can't comment on the life span of their saddles.

That said, the more expensive ones definitely last a few tens of thousands of miles if you're reasonably careful with them. I think the water resistance has improved as well.

Once you've worked out what angle you sit at and how wide your sit-bones are spaced then you should be able to narrow the choice down to five or less. After that it's a case of trying them out (doing the usual asking the bike shop to borrow the saddle for a few days and bringing it back for a swop if it doesn't do the job for you).

FWIW I'm currently trying out an Avenue moderate (I think it's an older model that was gathering dust at my LBC). It's cheap but feels ok to ride on (still trying to find the right position). Although it doesn't have a cut-out or deep indent in the centre, my bits aren't going numb after 20mins (or even after an hour - haven't tried it for longer yet).
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Looks like they make mainly OEM saddles and gel saddles.

I really rate turbo and rolls saddles tbh.

Although I did go out in my old flite saddle the other day and found it quite comfortable.
keefwaddo

Post by keefwaddo »

Maybe this link will work:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/SELLE-セラロイヤル-C ... B07XDPB1KY

This is the name: SELLE ROYAL 1006480001 Classic Float Moderate Men's--even their names are too complicated and they seem to make too many different models.

I live in Japan and it is impossible to try a saddle before you buy.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

As I stated in earlier post, I liked the Float except for the surface. Mine was the Athletic model so I don't know if the Moderate is the same although on pictures they look alike. They are one of the cheaper saddles so it maybe worth getting one to try.
mjr

Post by mjr »

keefwaddo wrote: 26 May 2022, 3:19am Does anyone know anything about this model or another by the same company?
Selle Royal are one of the big brands. They have some old classics like the Contour. I have a Men's Maya Moderate on a winter workhorse bike. In general use, it was OK up to about 40 miles because it almost fits me but not exactly.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
keefwaddo

Post by keefwaddo »

Mostly negative comments about the Selle Royal. I'm sick of my falling to pieces Brooks (number 2) and my previous favourite saddle is from a company I cannot remember, though it was nothing exotic. Still I used it for years and replaced with the same one.

So I am wondering, are there one or two saddles that many people agree are very good?
ebor62

Post by ebor62 »

I bought a Selle Royal Freeway Fit , as an emergency replacement for a Brooks B17 Competition Special that I found had failed , whilst checking my bike, the day before a 600k Audax. Despite been in the saddle for 24 hours it was the most comfortable saddle I have ever used. I was given another brooks b17 completion special but this again broke after a few months. I kept the selle royal on my touring bike and covered 13000 miles in 2019 . It still looks like new and is so comfortable I do not expect to change it. ( I am 77 ) I had previously used brooks for all my non racing cycling since 1962 with never a problem and still have a have a 50+ years one in use. I never expected a last minute rush to Halfords to provide me with something I am so happy with, especially at a very reasonable price. However I learnt a long time ago that saddles are a very personal thing and one doesn't suit all, although I have never had a problem other than than two mentioned above failures. I haven't even taken up the guarantee on those as I have no intention of swapping back.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

ebor62 wrote: 28 May 2022, 7:58pm I bought a Selle Royal Freeway Fit , as an emergency replacement for a Brooks B17 Competition Special that I found had failed , whilst checking my bike, the day before a 600k Audax. Despite been in the saddle for 24 hours it was the most comfortable saddle I have ever used. I was given another brooks b17 completion special but this again broke after a few months. I kept the selle royal on my touring bike and covered 13000 miles in 2019 . It still looks like new and is so comfortable I do not expect to change it. ( I am 77 ) I had previously used brooks for all my non racing cycling since 1962 with never a problem and still have a have a 50+ years one in use. I never expected a last minute rush to Halfords to provide me with something I am so happy with, especially at a very reasonable price. However I learnt a long time ago that saddles are a very personal thing and one doesn't suit all, although I have never had a problem other than than two mentioned above failures. I haven't even taken up the guarantee on those as I have no intention of swapping back.
What model of the SR Freeway do you have? They do four different styles of this one.
ebor62

Post by ebor62 »

There is nothing to show which model on the saddle and they all look the same. However I remember the saddle was for a leaning forward riding position, such as riding on the hoods on a touring bike.. This then is the Athletic, I have checked the measurements, and they agree with the given measurements for the Athletic. All the other 3 models are different lengths and widths. Hope this helps. I normally document everything I fit, but on this occasion didn't bother as regarded it as a very short term stop gap.
bgnukem

Post by bgnukem »

I think it's impossible to recommend a saddle to someone else as the fit and comfort is so personal, and physiology varies so much.

It's worth measuring the spacing of your sit bones by sitting on something indicative, corrugated cardboard works, then selecting a saddle where the pads at the rear are similarly spaced.

In the past I've bought saddles people recommended as comfortable, namely Rolls and Charge Spoon saddles, and found them incredibly uncomfortable. Also worked my way through several Brooks B17s but found the leather stretched quite rapidly causing them to lose their support.

Currently using Charge Pan saddles on all of my bikes.