European holidays

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
djnotts

Re: European holidays

Post by djnotts »

Thanks for that.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

The heading of this thread is "European Holidays".
I took it as such. If it was intended to be about long stay living in Europe that's a different situation.
We left the eu - I don't apologise for voting to leave - inevitably there are downsides but it was a democratic vote.
As often happens one side (the "leavers" in this case) were more intent on voting - the result was unexpected and I was as surprised as anyone.
The "remainers" didn't get their vote out probably due to complacency for which they can blame those who didn't bother to vote to stay.
Long before there was the EU or even the EEC ( which I voted to remain in) I knew people who were living and working in Europe - there are probably ways and means to obtain a longer than ninety days stay.
As I said originally the changes won't make much difference to the average holidaymaker.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

ANTONISH wrote: 29 May 2022, 9:02am
Psamathe wrote: 28 May 2022, 10:56am
Never needed proof of funds before, never needed proof of insurance before, never been asked for where you're staying nor how long you intend to stay, etc.

Ian
Well I haven't been asked that ever - apart from in 1969 when entering a non European country and in 1967 when the UK had a restriction on the amount of money one could take out of the country and the sum had to be entered on my passport.
Apart from that I've not been asked when entering France.
I've been asked on my last 3 entries to the EU for work. (I'd normally go more than that - but the withdrawal agreement doesn't allow me to do all the work I previously did). I also had to wait for 3 hours at Heathrow to get my Carnet stamped as the UK Customs blatantly aren't ready for the increase paperwork requirements.

From the end of the year when the biometric gates open, the requirement checking and overstay checking becomes automated. As for extending stays in Europe - that's a pipe dream at the moment. The EU offered, the UK rejected. It can be done in some countries, but only as a residency that has accomodation and tax implications.

Luckily I live in a democracy and for items that I don't agree with, I'm free to agitate and campaign against them.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
KM2

Post by KM2 »

Luckily I live in a democracy and for items that I don't agree with, I'm free to agitate and campaign against them.

But for how long with the new police bill going through???
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Twenty years ago I had a late gap year when I gave up my job, sold my flat and set off round Europe. I spent six months travelling and had a fascinating time, met many lovely people, and learnt a huge amount. It saddens me that someone now could not do this.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Slowroad wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 8:54pm Twenty years ago I had a late gap year when I gave up my job, sold my flat and set off round Europe. I spent six months travelling and had a fascinating time, met many lovely people, and learnt a huge amount. It saddens me that someone now could not do this.
It's a tragedy which will only become apparent when those who voted leave try to do any of the above.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

No problem with a week's cycling holiday in the Netherlands. Took the Harwich Hook ferry. Passport stamped in both directions by border control without delay.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

UpWrong wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 7:49am No problem with a week's cycling holiday in the Netherlands. Took the Harwich Hook ferry. Passport stamped in both directions by border control without delay.
For those that wish to travel regularly, a regular 10 year passport will be full before it expires. Another hidden cost.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Airsporter1st wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 10:59pm
UpWrong wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 7:49am No problem with a week's cycling holiday in the Netherlands. Took the Harwich Hook ferry. Passport stamped in both directions by border control without delay.
For those that wish to travel regularly, a regular 10 year passport will be full before it expires. Another hidden cost.
Hopefully in a year or so, once ESS and ETIAS are in then no EU stamps needed.

A few countries have already stopped stamps unless you request one. The one page stick in visa was a pain, because they then stamped in and out on a separate page, using 2 whole pages for one visit.
twowheelstwokids

Post by twowheelstwokids »

Dingdong wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 7:17am It's a tragedy which will only become apparent when those who voted leave try to do any of the above.
If the forums I'm reading are anything to go by quite a few are now attempting either to relocate on low pensions that means they don't meet the income requirements OR they're just realising they can't casually drive through France then spend 4 months in their Spanish villa. They're getting zero sympathy, which is the only silver lining.

For anyone who is only interested in taking short "holidays" I guess the impact will be minimal - as long as you can prove that you have resources and a place to stay and don't mind a ridiculous queue on the way in or out - along with all the other non-EU travelers. Sadly hopping on the ferry to go nowhere in particular with just a bunch of fivers in your pocket, in France anyway, isn't permitted - at least not officially, so you might get away with it but on the other hand you might be stopped at the ferry and turned away. So thanks for that.
Life on two wheels - with the family and for the holidays and a bit of campaigning thrown in.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

twowheelstwokids wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 10:32pm
Dingdong wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 7:17am It's a tragedy which will only become apparent when those who voted leave try to do any of the above.
If the forums I'm reading are anything to go by quite a few are now attempting either to relocate on low pensions that means they don't meet the income requirements OR they're just realising they can't casually drive through France then spend 4 months in their Spanish villa. They're getting zero sympathy, which is the only silver lining.

For anyone who is only interested in taking short "holidays" I guess the impact will be minimal - as long as you can prove that you have resources and a place to stay and don't mind a ridiculous queue on the way in or out - along with all the other non-EU travelers. Sadly hopping on the ferry to go nowhere in particular with just a bunch of fivers in your pocket, in France anyway, isn't permitted - at least not officially, so you might get away with it but on the other hand you might be stopped at the ferry and turned away. So thanks for that.
Why on earth would you say that?
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Airsporter1st wrote: 18 Jun 2022, 12:31pm Why on earth would you say that?
Because they're getting exactly what they voted for?
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

nirakaro wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 8:50am

Thanks for that clarification. I am guilty of taking a single comment out of context. Thanks to you, I understand now that the comment applied only to those who voted to leave and in that respect I agree wholeheartedly!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Airsporter1st wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 7:43pm
nirakaro wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 8:50am

Thanks for that clarification. I am guilty of taking a single comment out of context. Thanks to you, I understand now that the comment applied only to those who voted to leave and in that respect I agree wholeheartedly!
Without waiting to start a Brexit debate, it is worth noting that many who voted "Leave" are now saying we've not got the Brexit they voted for (even some on this forum who voted "Leave" have been saying exactly that on the forum here.

There are many variants of Brexit possible. EU would have preferred a "softer Brexit" (one that e.g. retained Freedom of Movement") but it was the UK setting the requirements and EU trying to accomodate as best they could. More extreme purist Conservative MPs managed to pressure Johnson to the "hard Brexit" (e.g. that excluded Freedom of Movement).

Ian