European holidays

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
KM2

European holidays

Post by KM2 »

Now the U.K. has got Brexit done, how often can you go on holiday?
If you can do 3 month in 6 months, when does a block start?
EgJuly followed by January then February then March and April, would that be two blocks of 6 or would the January to April be one block? and over quota.
Jdsk

Re: European holidays

Post by Jdsk »

Are you asking about the 90 day access to the Schengen Area?

That's discussed in "EU VISAs after Brexit":
viewtopic.php?p=1653208#p1653208

Thanks

Jonathan
KM2

Post by KM2 »

Thanks
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

It starts when you first enter the Schengen area, ie almost everywhere in the EU.

It starts to end when it's 180 days after that first entry date. It's not a fixed block, but a rolling one.

180 days after day 1, you lose that day of staying. Then you lose a day for every day that passes.

Your not allowed more than 90 days in that 180 days.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

If you do a Google search for Schengen calculator there are a couple of tools to help.

Just put in start date and end date of each trip and it adds them up and tells you how much time you have left, when you can re-enter, etc.

https://ec.europa.eu/assets/home/visa-c ... tm?lang=en

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/visa-calculator/
KM2

Post by KM2 »

Thanks for that
Tim Holman

Post by Tim Holman »

Oh my goodness, I had no idea it was so restricted and complicated,
Tim
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tim Holman wrote: 27 May 2022, 4:17pm Oh my goodness, I had no idea it was so restricted and complicated,
I've been told that all Leave voters understood this sort of thing perfectly and it's what they all voted for. The rest of us just have to live with their bureaucraphilia!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tim Holman

Post by Tim Holman »

I voted to remain. I would do so again and would support re-application, come the day,
Tim
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Tim Holman wrote: 27 May 2022, 6:18pm I voted to remain. I would do so again and would support re-application, come the day,
Tim
Same here.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

gxaustin wrote: 27 May 2022, 9:56pm
Tim Holman wrote: 27 May 2022, 6:18pm I voted to remain. I would do so again and would support re-application, come the day,
Tim
Same here.
Me too, but I don't expect reapplication as an issue in my life time nor probably ever.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I voted to leave.
IME it's just like it was before we joined the Common Market ( which I voted to remain in and would have been happy to stay in rather than become a citizen of a united states of Europe)
I went to France with my son earlier this month.
We had our passports stamped by French border officials going in and coming out.

The only difference was that we also had to show our Covid passports.
That might be a problem if you are an anti vaxxer - in which case I believe you have to show a negative test - I don't know the details (of course the UK required proof of a negative test for UK citizens returning to the UK last year. That was an irritation especially having to complete an on line passenger location form within two days of return - but that was a UK inflicted piece of bureaucracy).
So in general things are easier than last year

We didn't need to show the Covid passport while we were there.

It is important to have your passport stamped in both directions or you could be assumed to have used up your ninety days allowance even if you were only on a day trip.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Not quite like before.

I have never been banned from entry to a European country before. Having used up my 90 days with winter touring, I could not enter EU till my 180 days was up.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonhill wrote: 28 May 2022, 10:54am Not quite like before.

I have never been banned from entry to a European country before. Having used up my 90 days with winter touring, I could not enter EU till my 180 days was up.
Never needed proof of funds before, never needed proof of insurance before, never been asked for where you're staying nor how long you intend to stay, etc.

Ian
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Not this year but it makes sense to pack the bike onto a plane and go longhaul way out of the eu. Lots of great winter places without 90 days max stay.