Cafe recommendations near Hook of Holland

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bainbridge

Cafe recommendations near Hook of Holland

Post by bainbridge »

Hi tourers. In July my partner will be joining me for her first cycle tour and we'll be getting off the overnight ferry at the Hook of Holland and finding somewhere to get some breakfast and ease into the tour. Does anyone know a nice cafe nearby where we can get breakfast? We could get breakfast on the ferry, but we'll be losing an hour on the crossing anyway due to the time difference, we're doing low mileage (25 - 30 miles per day) so have time to kill, so I'd prefer that we just get up and leave our cabin and get off the ship.

Thanks
Steve X

Re: Cafe recommendations near Hook of Holland

Post by Steve X »

Google, Café Briele, and take it from there. Enjoy, its even possible we will be on the same ship :-)
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

Steve X wrote: 27 May 2022, 8:07pm Google, Café Briele, and take it from there. Enjoy, its even possible we will be on the same ship :-)
I've googled it but nothing is coming up for me on the hook side of the river, whereabouts is it?

PS we're going on the evening of 24/07
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

No specific recommendations but you have a few options after departing the ferry terminal:

If it’s a nice day the beach is only 5mins or so ride away and there are a number of cafes/restaurants to choose from
Hoek van Holland high st has some cafes/bakeries and in my recent experience is a pleasant place unlike most other port towns you might visit
If you fancy riding a bit then Maassluis and Vlaardingen have pretty town centres with options for somewhere to stop and eat

The coffee and croissants on the ferry are pretty awful so I agree with swerving that option
Ron

Post by Ron »

There are a number of places in Hook of Holland. Google 'Hotel Amerika' and head towards it from the ferry, that takes you to the Centrum. If you just look around that area you should see a place to eat, or just ask a local.
(I have mentioned Hotel Amerika as a landmark, not a recommendation.)
Last edited by Ron on 28 May 2022, 12:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

bainbridge wrote: 27 May 2022, 8:29pm
Steve X wrote: 27 May 2022, 8:07pm Google, Café Briele, and take it from there. Enjoy, its even possible we will be on the same ship :-)
I've googled it but nothing is coming up for me on the hook side of the river, whereabouts is it?

PS we're going on the evening of 24/07
Apologies, other side of the Rhine. Have a good trip.
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

Thanks all. Looks like there's a number of options so I'll follow them up :D
wheelyhappy99

Post by wheelyhappy99 »

Many good options about 12k along the cyclepath in Maasluis, and more likely to be open when you get there. Much more pleasant settings too, around the canals and old harbour about 250m north of the new waterway. Also Jumbo supermarket if you want to get snacks etc for later.
ossie

Post by ossie »

bainbridge wrote: 27 May 2022, 8:02pm Hi tourers. In July my partner will be joining me for her first cycle tour and we'll be getting off the overnight ferry at the Hook of Holland and finding somewhere to get some breakfast and ease into the tour. Does anyone know a nice cafe nearby where we can get breakfast? We could get breakfast on the ferry, but we'll be losing an hour on the crossing anyway due to the time difference, we're doing low mileage (25 - 30 miles per day) so have time to kill, so I'd prefer that we just get up and leave our cabin and get off the ship.

Thanks
You will be woken up by a loud tannoy announcement an hour before docking (worth noting with the hour time difference). One of the things they will remind you of is their 'breakfast', another follows just in case you nod off . If you choose not to partake there are a few cafes two minutes away on the other side of the main road, before Lidl turn right.

PS ..put your phones in flight mode for the crossing. You'll go out of UK /EU waters and might get subject to roaming charges not covered by your plan.