Knee Replacement

beardybiker01

Re: Knee Replacement

Post by beardybiker01 »

Had a simultaneous bilateral total knee replacements March 2020 at the age of 64. Cycling kept the knees going for many years until my head and knees said that they were ready for replacements. The first twelve weeks were a very painful recovery but you need to work very hard to regain the flexion and extension required for range of movement and to avoid scarring.

Just over two years on and recovery has been very good. My surgeon said that recovery takes between 12 and 18 months. I also worked with a physio on prehab which helped with the recovery.

Just ridden the RideLondon 100, including hotel to start 112 miles ridden on the day.

Before and after. Very happy to have had them done.
400D80EB-1E93-4457-AEA1-74F0E92B4674.jpeg
29DF672F-969D-4F09-B1F8-449CF8B60E62.jpeg
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

beardybiker01 wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 10:12pmI also worked with a physio on prehab which helped with the recovery.
Glad it worked well.

I'd always recommend getting that communication going before the surgery and knowing in advance whom you're going to talk to afterwards.

Did this involve hands-on work and face-to-face appointments? Obviously lots of healthcare has shifted to remote working, and I'd be interested in how yours was delivered, and how much could be done successfully by eg video consultation.

Thanks

Jonathan
beardybiker01

Post by beardybiker01 »

The prehab work was delivered by the physio face to face pre pandemic.

Post op I had only two sessions face to face then the pandemic arrived and the rest was delivered over the phone with printed illustrated instructions support the exercises. Fortunately I have a turbo trainer which proved invaluable in helping the rehab exercises.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

beardybiker01 wrote: 8 Jun 2022, 12:22pm The prehab work was delivered by the physio face to face pre pandemic.

Post op I had only two sessions face to face then the pandemic arrived and the rest was delivered over the phone with printed illustrated instructions support the exercises. Fortunately I have a turbo trainer which proved invaluable in helping the rehab exercises.
Thanks

Jonathan
beardybiker01

Post by beardybiker01 »

danfoto wrote: 3 Jun 2022, 3:20pm I'm 75 and had a total knee replacement with spinal anaesthetic on May 3rd. Four weeks or so on, I'm currently at an average of 0.7 miles a day walking without a stick and I can just get the knee to a 110° bend if I grit my teeth! Ten degrees more and I reckon I'll be good to get back on a bike. How long that 10 degrees are going to take, I have no idea.

And buy yourself a kid's skateboard (the type that's about 17" long). Very handy for doing knee-bending exercises whilst seated.
That’s great progress. It’s incredibly hard work but well worth the efforts.

My post op knee extension was 0’ and flexion roughly about 90’. Using the foot slide exercises and working on the turbo pedalling backwards then incredibly painfully forwards the flexion increased slowly. Pre-op my flexion was 120’ and now it’s about 130’.

I also used an indoor rowing machine for the seated knee-bending exercises.
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

FWIW both my pre- and post-op exercise regimes were as per the hospital's website (and in due course the printed version thereof) plus some very careful Googling. No doubt if I'd been paying for the op I'd have expected face-to-face physio appointments, but I was very pleased to be an NHS patient (whose every expectation was exceeded!).

I'm just starting the fifth week post-op, I'm comfortably walking over a mile a day, and I have around 115° of movement in the knee, so not long now before I cautiously try getting back on a bike:)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

Some information which I hope will be of some help here:

viewtopic.php?p=976705#p976705

and

here: viewtopic.php?p=1194154#p1194154

Six and a half years later the replacement knee is still fine and I can cycle as I wish and run (within limits).

My main advice, as stated in the links above, is to take all the painkillers you are offered so you can be diligent with the post-op physio exercises, don't stop doing them just because the hospital physio team discharge you and don't compare your recovery progress with others.

Good luck
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Just for the record, I am delighted to report that I've just been up the lane and back on my Sherpa with the new knee and had no problem. That's at five weeks and four days. At least now I can add a little bike-riding to the daily exercise regime :)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

I require (in whose opinion?) apparently, a new hip, a new knee and ankle surgery. Am I getting any of these done? Not a chance.
I am 72. I have stopped cycling due to the above and most importantly because I really require a new heart. A few years ago I suffered a 'massive multiple Pulmonary embolism ( miraculously I survived due in no small part because of those in Hinton Ward of Dorset County Hospital to whom I owe gratitude) this damaged my lungs and my left ventricle. My heart will not recover. I take 19 pills per day. Really expensive for NHS/Government.
Why should I take such a massive risk with limbs when my heart may not survive an operation?
No doubt someone (or three) will tell me to go for it. NO I will not!
Pain and suffering I do not like at all. Giving up cycling has given me back more than I would ever have hoped. I now am back motorcycling and enjoying every ride. Yesterday down to Devon and across Exmoor. Home now planning later ride this week-but the petrol costs are really high and are I admit restrictive at present. Filling the motorcycles tank 2 months ago was £14. Yesterday it cost me £23!
Getting back to those legs of mine (and possibly yours) I will never have a limb cut in half to fit anything unless I have an accident and wake up in Hospital with pins in various parts because of a massive road (or other) accident.
So my opinion of course, many other people may differ.
Enjoy your day. I will enjoy mine, even with serious pain to contend with.
Last edited by leftpoole on 15 Jun 2022, 11:07am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

leftpoole wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 11:03am I require (in whose opinion?) apparently, a new hip, a new knee and ankle surgery. Am I getting any of these done? Not a chance.
I am 72. I have stopped cycling due to the above and most importantly because I really require a new heart.
Why should I take such a massive risk with limbs when my heart may not survive an operation?
I wouldn't dream of telling you what to do. But do you think that you've had enough opportunity to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the procedures?

Thanks

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

danfoto wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 10:23am Just for the record, I am delighted to report that I've just been up the lane and back on my Sherpa with the new knee and had no problem. That's at five weeks and four days. At least now I can add a little bike-riding to the daily exercise regime...
That's great to hear.

Jonathan
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Jdsk wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 11:07am
leftpoole wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 11:03am I require (in whose opinion?) apparently, a new hip, a new knee and ankle surgery. Am I getting any of these done? Not a chance.
I am 72. I have stopped cycling due to the above and most importantly because I really require a new heart.
I wouldn't dream of telling you what to do. But do you think that you've had enough opportunity to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the procedures?

Thanks

Jonathan
Next Wednesday I have an appointment for my 6th Steroid injection into my knee. The injection is not pleasant. It works a little and other times it is not so good.
In response to your question-of course I have been through all the options. What it boils down to is, that I am NOT having any of the operations that others may have had. I am sceptical of the resulting 'advantage' having discussed with numerous 'victims'. It is, after all, my body. I can decide.
Thank you for your suggestion
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

It is of course right that everyone should have their say over what happens to their bodies. In the case of someone with severe underlying health problems plus the added risk of surgery, choosing to put up with the pain does make some sense.

When orthopaedic implant surgery goes wrong we hear about it. Far less is made of the thousands of successful procedures that leave the patient pain free and mobile again.
I wouldn't see these as 'victims', more like beneficiaries of modern medicine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

I've a date through for my knee op in mid July. There's a lot in the press about long NHS waiting lists for this type of operation. In my experience this is untrue. Visited GP mid April, x-ray at the end of April, consultant appointment end of May, op scheduled for mid July. Would private be any quicker?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker