Glue/bonding on disc pads

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PT1029

Glue/bonding on disc pads

Post by PT1029 »

I am sure we have all done it occasionally, refitting a wheel, the disc nudges one or the pads out of position. You put the pad back in position and then refit the wheel. Not an issue.
On Friday I did this and the pad fell away from the metal back plate, the pad landing on the floor, the back plate remaining in the brake caliper. No sign/traces of glue/bonding on the pad or the metal back plate. The pad was not new (but had plenty of life left). It was a hydraulic brake on a Carrera bike, I forget the models.
This made me think, given the high shear/side forces on a brake shoe/pad interface, what do they use to fix a disc pad onto the back plate?
I'm just wondering what they use, not planning to sick the pad back on!
Sum

Re: Glue/bonding on disc pads

Post by Sum »

For bike disc brake pads I think the friction material is either glued, or glued and moulded, onto the backing plate. Heat and pressure is used to cure the adhesive and to force the friction material through mechanical attachment points (e.g. holes/studs) stamped into the backing plate. The adhesive will be industrial stuff and not your ordinary glue purchased in the shops.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Same thought... is there any physical location of the pad on the plate?

Thanks

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

254E3FBE-787D-406F-A02C-4E1FCC6A6D9B.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info