Getting started

LeighD

Getting started

Post by LeighD »

Want to be able to go for lovely bike rides with the kids one day but im an anxious person. Terrified il mess up in traffic or something, and my little girl is petrified of cycling in public as it is. SO i guess are there any tips for adults and kids for getting started?
Jdsk

Re: Getting started

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

Firstly: YOU ARE NOT ALONE! : - )

A few quick thoughts about how we approached this with our children and now with our grandchildren.

Enjoying cycling
They saw us enjoying cycling as soon as they were born. And were in child seats before their first birthdays.

Technology
The children's bikes weren't good enough and the grandchildren are now on Islabikes, much better. Similarly suitable clothes and gloves and shoes and helmets that always fit as their heads grow.

Training
No pressure to learn to ride. Bikes always available. Cycling proficiency type stuff as seemed appropriate. Puncture repairs from an early age, and other maintenance as and when they got interested.

Riding on public roads
No pressure to ride independently on public roads, and in general the opposite. So we bought two tandems and they went through the various phases: transverse bar, Kiddicranks, crank shorteners. And we knew exactly where they were all of the time. And the range of rides wasn't limited by their stamina. With the grandchildren the stable now includes a FollowMe and a tandem trailer trike.
I don't know the precise ages but it was probably early teens before they were riding independently in traffic. I hate the idea of shepherding them and it very rarely happened.

Jonathan
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I just googled "cycle training Harrogate".....quite interesting.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

531colin wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 5:25pm I just googled "cycle training Harrogate".....quite interesting.
I've trained adults & kids, though not together, but I don't see any reason not to combine them.
In both cases I've seen very positive results in confidence as the instructor can take specific concerns and work through them in familiar places.
Most of the problems in cycle safety are about perception rather than danger, so a steady pair of hands to guide you can be a big help with the mind game side of it.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Do schools in your area run Bikability courses?

Here, two levels of it are part of the curriculum (years 3 and 4 I think), and the second level gives kids a basic intro to riding on the road.

As regards an actual bike, Islabike and Frog are about the only ones I would trust for a young child.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Nearholmer wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 6:01pm As regards an actual bike, Islabike and Frog are about the only ones I would trust for a young child.
Our kids had Islabikes so I obviously rate them, but the price means that's a very high bar to entry (yes, you can sell them on for what you paid, but if you don't have that sort of money to start with that's no help). Before my daughter had her first Islabike she had a £20 refurbed bike from a recycling charity. It was nowhere as good as the Isla but it was less than a tenth of the price and was entirely good enough, did her proud and was much nicer than what I had as a sprog.
I'd personally avoid "Bicycle shaped objects" that have low prices but very big feature lists (disc brakes, suspension, double figures of gears) but there are plenty of good basic bikes: the real key is don't buy stuff you don't need (e.g., disc brakes, suspension, double figures of gears...) and if all else is equal lighter is typically better. Decathlon do some good ones for very sane prices.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

I share your anxiety, but at the end of the day cycling is no more dangerous than walking on British pavements. Personally I'd opt for a good local off road route, and start your odyssey there. Minor roads can be relatively traffic free at this time of the year. Good luck!
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Children need to feel at ease with their bike, before having to concentrate on traffic, so a very quiet local lane makes a lot of sense for them to gain confidence.

Mine followed me on dog walks up this sort of lane as soon as they could ride, initially on large-wheeled scooters and balance bikes. I explained the rules of the road from an early age, how soft we are compared with motorised vehicles and have always provided bikes which go well and have good brakes easily operated by smaller hands.

Our son learned very quickly and was very happy to ride solo on carefully chosen routes to begin with, daughter attached on a trail bike which she adored for the security it offered. Her desire to be attached to me led to a tandem, initially with kiddy cranks and wooden blocks attached to the pedals. For the first time, this year she has expressed an interest in using her own bike for longer rides, but still loves being the stoker as it allows her to whizz past her brother on descents!

I still choose routes carefully, so that for example a 10 minute steep uphill walk leads to 5 or 6 miles of gentle descent rather than the other way round, on roads which are not over busy, although they have been unavoidable at times on holiday. Interesting stop-offs and good views around the route can distract from otherwise tedious sections.
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

Our boys progressed from kiddiseats on the backs of Mum's and Dad's bikes to child-back tandems (bought second-hand and sold on when outgrown), and then to 'junior racers' (with drop handlebars like Daddy's bike), of gradually increasing size and numbers of gears. They just took to it as part of normal, everyday life of a cycling family, for both local transport and recreation. We taught them what they needed to know as they progressed, and allowed them more freedom as their knowledge and skill advanced.
They still ride bikes, and our grandchildren have similarly learned from them and cycle to school etc using cycle routes.

Having said that, I feel I am not really answering your question -
LeighD wrote: 1 Jun 2022, 1:37pm Want to be able to go for lovely bike rides with the kids one day but im an anxious person. Terrified il mess up in traffic or something, and my little girl is petrified of cycling in public as it is. SO i guess are there any tips for adults and kids for getting started?
- it sounds as if you are a rather less experienced cyclist than my wife or I. Children want to grow up, in the sense of "Mummy, I want to make biscuits like you do." So if you are anxious about cycling on your own, get that fixed first, and then let the children see you enjoying it, and hope that they follow. Perhaps you have cycling friends nearby who can help.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Personally I would stick to cycle tracks till they were of an age to be aware of the speed and dangers of road traffic.
Ciminera

Post by Ciminera »

I'd stick to off road routes for now if you're both anxious. increase both your confidence without the worry and danger of traffic. kids can veer off course very quickly for absolutely no reason sometimes

as others suggested, independently, go increase your confidence cycling on the road on your own first so you feel confident riding and shielding on the road with your little one